Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I just bought my new TV today. Wow! Also, question about S-video.

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-07-02, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just bought a 36" Toshiba 36A42 today and hooked up my Toshiba SD-1600 to it through the component connections. I played Monsters, Inc. and WOW! I was totally blown away. Man, the picture was so sharp and clear and the colors so vibrant my jaw just stayed unhinged the whole time. I am absolutely thrilled. It's amazing the difference from the 25" Zenith with the player running through composite. I am just giddy with excitement. I don't have the sounds system yet, but that will be coming in the next month or two.

Now to my question. I am running a DTV sattelite through composite right now. I first hooked up through the whatchmacallit, the one-cable connection like you get with cable TV, and the picture was terrible. I switched to composite and it's definitely better but still grainy at times (although I noticed that the feed for the SEC champ game seemed to be a bit worse than some other channels). I plan to get an S-video cable tomorrow for it. How big a difference should I notice in the picture between these two connections?

Man, I can't get over how great that picture was on the dvd.
Old 12-08-02, 12:50 PM
Uber Member

There's nothing like a new TV.

Going from composite to S-Video should make a noticeable difference, but don't expect to get your socks knocked off.

You'll be even happier once you upgrade the surround system!
Old 12-08-02, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks Blade. That's about what I was hoping. I don't need my socks knocked off (that's what dvds are for), but I was hoping to get a better picture off the dish.

Man, I am so anxious to get my sound system. I'm just waiting for some funds to build up so that I can do it right. I'm thinking I should be able to have the receiver and speakers by January or February, hopefully January.

I love my new TV. No, I lust my new TV. If it were just a bit softer, I think I'd have sex with it.
Old 12-09-02, 02:15 AM

I purchased the same TV a few months ago. It has a terrific picture.
Old 12-09-02, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Toshiba TV's
Old 12-09-02, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Using S-video will definitely help, at least it did for me having just purchased a new HDTV and hooking up my DirecTV to it using S-video. Also I just ran the Avia disc on my new TV and was blown away by the difference it made. Well worth the $32 it cost me, and it should definitely improve your "relationship" with your new TV too. I've had great sound but rotten picture for so long (25" composite connection only), that having both is absolutely tremendous.
Best wishes,
Old 12-09-02, 02:41 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've read some where on HTF that s-video is a 60% improvement over composite video...

... and that component video is a 5% imrovement over s-video.
Old 12-09-02, 04:26 PM
Banned

I have the Toshiba 36A50 This thing kicks mucho @ss in the terms of picture quality through my S-Video
Old 12-15-02, 10:58 AM

RE: New Toshiba

I am in the market for a new TV, and if you don't mind telling how much did you pay, and where did you get your new Toshiba.