DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

sony dvd changer cx875p... opinions?

Old 12-06-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sony dvd changer cx875p... opinions?

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...G5PNs&Dept=hav

300+1 dvd juke box. auto-flipping, progressive, etc. thinking about getting it - around $440. any opinions on this dvd changer?

anyone find having a juke-box type of dvd changer to be of great benefit? or not?
Old 12-07-02, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The opinion is a bunch of us have been waiting forever for this to come out. It was supposed to come out about August originaly. Now every month it's due it gets pushed back for another month for who knows why. Now the earliest I've heard is about the middle of January 2003. Try putting it in your cart from your link and you will see it's still inavailable. I will only buy now after others have bought it and I find out what the holdup was.
Old 12-07-02, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well, you're right. i was going to pre-order it.

i'll try it from sony's website; it seems to be down right now.

what about the older model it replaces? anyone have any opinions on that model or any other similar model?
Old 12-09-02, 02:24 PM
dgc

I thought about getting a mega changer. The one reason I really wanted the mega changer was for my 3 yr. olds dvds. She's constantly changing her mind on what she wants to watch. swapping out her discs on our main player gets tedious.

However, the above reason was not enough. The convienence of having many discs already in my player just wasn't enough for me to pull the trigger. Besides, my collection already exceeds 301 discs, so I know i would be anal enough to want to daisy chain additional mega changers to accomodate all my dvds. Unfortunately, I'm an all or nothing kind of guy.

I deceided to put the money towards a durable higher end single disc player (paid $600 for a Sony DVP-S9000ES).
Old 12-11-02, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ok, i placed the order. the vendor said that they should get a shipment soon and that i will most likely get it before xmas... (but he couldn't guarantee that).

the main reason i want the changer is so i can lose some dvd cases (well, put them away) as they take up a lot of space. i hope that they are daisy-chainable (more than 2). + movies like LOTR, where it spans 2 dvds, i don't want to get up and switch anything. i also have the T2 movie which is sort of a flipper and this changer autoflips.
Old 12-11-02, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've got an older Sony 200 disc model, and absolutely love it. Been wanting to get another.
Old 12-12-02, 03:02 AM

I wouldn't hold my breath about getting it before XMAS when I don't think it will come out this month yet.
Old 12-12-02, 12:49 PM
Cool New Member

the back-order is not necessarily true. i purchased mine a month and a half ago. i live in new york so i called the sonystyle store here asking if they had one in stock. they did have them in stock, and i went to the store and purchased it. also, they had a couple downstairs in the demo area. i guess it all depends on when sony distributes the small amount that they do have. if you're in nyc or sf (or wherever sonystyle stores are), give them a ring.

as for quality, i am really impressed with the picture quality of the jukebox. one, i'm of set mind that single dvd/cd players perform much better than jukebox style players. well, the fact that this is progressive definitely makes a difference. the picture quality and sound is absolutely perfect (let me know if you want me to go into further details).

as for the changer screen interface, it's quite archaic. i feel like i'm looking at an interface designed three years ago. it's really, really slow and quite ugly. but it is easy to use. however, if you have 300 dvds stored in there, navigating to them or just browsing is a pain. mine is full of about 220 dvds and it took about three hours to put them in and input their names. you'll definitely want your pc keyboard hooked up for that. the ability to put a jacket photo into the list is pretty cool. however, i stopped doing this because it slows down the loading of the interface tremendously.

as for the mp3 playback, it's a bit of a hassle. yes it plays them and the sound is terrific, but for some reason you can't name the mp3 cd to store on the player. meaning it only shows up as an unamed cd. so if you have a number of them, they're all blank unless you select it and see it's contents. pretty stupid. i went through the manual many times and there's no way to name mp3 cds. also, i tried mounting an mp3 data dvd. didn't work.

another odd thing i realized, i've been buring a number of dvd movies to playback. on my older single player dvd player, those home-made dvd's worked perfectly. with this jukebox some of the dvd's do not work. i read it had to do with the type of dvd you insert (meaning no green bottom dvds). so i purchased a number of purple bottom dvd-rs and those work perfectly. something to keep in mind.

also something i forgot to look into, but this jukebox (similar to other jukeboxes) are really deep (dimensions). it's too bad, because of the way it fits into my setup, i had to rearrange everything so that it wouldn't stick out so much.

all in all, i'm very happy with it. (although my girlfriend doesn't understand why we need all our dvd's in the player rather than putting them in manually). my answer is that we do end up watching more dvd's this way. it's nice to bring up the ugly interface and just scroll to the movie of choice. usually it will load the movie in about 10 seconds or less.

oh and sorry this is so out of order, i'm just writing thoughts as i think of them. i did have one situation where the unit got stuck. it was with one of my homemade dvds that the player couldn't read. it didn't think anything was in that slot and attempted to put another dvd back into that slot. it was simple to remove and not harm was done. the spinning mechanism makes some noise, but isn't annoying and only spins when you select a disc.
Old 12-12-02, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by GMLSKIS
I wouldn't hold my breath about getting it before XMAS...
i won't... 'cause i'll die. ba da boom

thanks, contempt, for the comments. seems like the real issues are w/ backup copies. i don't have any nor will i likely use it to play mp3 cds. the slow menu system is probably the most bothersome comment.

how do the covers work? does it have a built in database of covers?