Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

question about speaker wire

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

question about speaker wire

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-02, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by cowanrg

sorry all! you gotta remember i deal with this all day, "nah, cables wont make any difference". and being the salesperson, they never believe me. [/B]
No need to apologize,i was in sales and the first rule is,believe what your selling..

fact of the matter is,you couldn't pick the difference between HomeDepot speaker wire 12g against pricey store bought wire 10 out of 10 times,hell id say you would guess wrong 3 out of 3...sorry!just My opinion

"""wow, some of you must have some crappy systems.""""

""""sorry all! you gotta remember i deal with this all day, "nah, cables wont make any difference". and being the salesperson, they never believe me."""""

and why should we,they don`t....Not on my system anyway...

""""my system in total is around $5K, and without the cables""""
""""hell, i spent $500 on one pair of my cables""""

maybe you should have used that 500 and upgraded your speakers!!!!there Low to Midfi at best(and MidFi is pushing it)...and where is your 5,000 in gear,????your speakers are what 700 or so???

you seem like the kind of salesman i used to run into at HT stores,the kind that forced me to buy all my gear online...

the kind that thinks he knows everything.....

Last edited by tommy28; 12-10-02 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-10-02, 06:48 PM

cables were a gift actually. so they are overkill for my system.

my speakers are low-fi? i agree they are mid-fi, but they are pretty decent. there were rated budget speaker of the year by stereophile. they've gotten rave reviews.

and you are right about cables, no one can tell 10 out of 10 times. but with the right cables, you can tell easily within a few seconds if you are used to doing it, or better yet, if you are used to the system you are testing it on.

ultimately, on ALL system, cables can make SOME difference. sure, on a cheaper system, the will make a marginal difference. its not worth it. i dont even push cables on HTIAB, but for most component systems, i do suggest maybe upgrading cables.

think what you want about me, but im actually quite different when selling. im actually a LOT nicer and laid back. i realize that not everyone is out to have the coolest system. on extended warranties and cables, i have some of the lowest numbers in the store. i dont push it if its not needed.

i was trying to apologize, and for a minute there i thought you were going to be cool about it. i guessed wrong.
Old 12-12-02, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by cowanrg
i was trying to apologize, and for a minute there i thought you were going to be cool about it. i guessed wrong.
I agree he was a little bit harsh in his response, but to be fair, that's the sort of response a post like "Wow, some of you have crappy systems" engenders.
Old 12-12-02, 11:42 PM

yeah, i admit. it was a stupid remark. i just got frustrated. i browse/post this forum right after coming home from work

Originally posted by CaptainMarvel
I agree he was a little bit harsh in his response, but to be fair, that's the sort of response a post like "Wow, some of you have crappy systems" engenders.
Old 12-13-02, 06:34 PM
Premium Member

cowanrg, read some of the posts in the link I posted earlier in this thread. I tend to agree with the fact that it is very difficult (VERY) to pick 10 out of tem in a controlled blind test.

I have tried. But if this is your hobby and all of you other components are what you want then why not go all the way with some highend brand cable? If it make you happy, thats whay we do this right?