DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Panasonic RP-82 - OOP (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/255180-panasonic-rp-82-oop.html)

lordzeppelin 12-03-02 10:34 PM

Panasonic RP-82 - OOP

I couldn't resist saying OOP instead of Discontinued...Apparently, according to a Panasonic rep I spoke to today, the RP-82 is now OOP, and will be replaced by a new version Early in '03. I had ordered one, and it's been on backorder for a little, and they called me and offered the CP-72 (same guts as the 82, except it's a 5disc instead of the single disc player...) for $40 cheaper (also OOP). I asked a few questions the sales rep couldn't answer, so they put me on with the Panny rep.

Just thought I'd let you all know...grab it while you can, and the price should go down a little too!

Darthkim 12-03-02 11:01 PM

I went to look for th RP-82 this weekend and was informed by Good guys that they as a corporation will discontinue carrying panasonic.

Now i also know why the RP82 is so hard to find. hm....

DJ_Longfellow 12-04-02 06:38 AM

Jeez, and i just bought the RP82 this past week! I knew this would happen....always something new when I buy it!

Josh Z 12-04-02 10:04 AM

I'm not sure why they would tell you that, other than as some sort of sales push for the 5-disc changer. The RP-82 is not discontinued to my knowledge. The machine was just released a few months ago.

nekobus 12-04-02 10:15 AM

it's not OOP

The 82 is not OOP. The 82 was just introduced in June. I spoke with a Pannie rep about supply yesterday and he told me that supplies are tight because demand is higher for it than they anticipated due to word of mouth on the internet (damn forums -wink-).

He said people are saying that it's OOP when it is only OOS (out of stock) and some retailers are using the 82 shortage to push the CP72 changer. Notice that it has a rebate along with some other Panasonic players. There is no rebate on the 82, it doesn't need one. -smile-

Originally posted by Darthkim
I went to look for th RP-82 this weekend and was informed by Good guys that they as a corporation will discontinue carrying panasonic.

Good Guys dropped/was dropped by Panasonic quite a while ago. It was a decision strictly related to Good Guys as a retailer.

DJ_Longfellow 12-04-02 12:12 PM

Ok, i retract my previous comment. I'm glad i bought the player anyways, good player for the $$$$. Any suggestions on settings for it? I have a 55" Widescreen Mits TV

JAMMER57 12-04-02 02:37 PM

Is the CP72 the same with the exception of the 5 disc changer?

nekobus 12-04-02 02:56 PM

Originally posted by JAMMER57
Is the CP72 the same with the exception of the 5 disc changer?
They both use the same mpeg decoder and the Faroudja deinterlacing chip.

The 72 lacks the Remaster function for listening to audio CDs and has no digital coax output, only optical.

Frank S 12-05-02 01:21 AM

This is the exact same thing that happened last year when the Panasonic RP-91 was hard to find (they couldn't make enough of them it was such a hot item)! All the dealers were out there saying it was discontinued when it wasn't! They are still selling this DVD player in droves to this day! As stated above it is just a ploy (or I would call it dishonest BS) to get you to buy something they have IN STOCK.

JAMMER57 12-05-02 12:58 PM

My question is: if I can get the CP72 for $188 shipped should I buy or wait for the RP82 to come back in stock??

Josh Z 12-05-02 02:02 PM

Jammer57, if you don't need the coax output I'd say go for the CP72.

lordzeppelin 12-05-02 08:36 PM

wow...I feel like a jackass now...LOL

Josh Z 12-05-02 09:50 PM

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
wow...I feel like a jackass now...LOL
Nah, a 5-disc DVD changer does run a higher risk of drawer failure and breakdown. Especially with Panasonic, who aren't exactly known for their sturdy construction quality.

The 82 also has that "CD remaster" function, whatever it is, and probably also a couple of other minor features, including a coax output in case you need one.

The prices between the two are nearly identical. If given the choice, I personally would probably get the 82, just because I have no interest in a 5-disc changer.