Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need home theater help

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need home theater help

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-02, 04:54 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need home theater help

Hi folks,

Here's my situation. Right now we have a really small living room and have a little kenwood htib, all in one unit. It's ok, but we are moving to a little larger place with a larger living room. It's not a huge living room, probably around 17x20ish and we want to upgrade our home theater system. We were looking to spend around 500 on the receiver, but have done some research and many people that the pioneer 811s seems to be highly reccommended and is cheaper than many of it's competitors. We were also looking at the jbl n series home theater speakers as well. For the 2 fronts, center, and surrounds it's around 270 shipped. For a subwoofer, we were thinking of the jbl 12, the cheaper sony everyone talks about, or the audiosource 15 that many reccomend on ubid. We didn't want to go over 600-700 for speakers. Later on down the road we wanted to pick up the jbl floorstanding speakers to round off the 7.1 system. This is what we have come up with so far. Any reccomendations would be wonderful on various other components that might be better for me. I will be using it for 30% music and 70%ht. I also have an xbox, cube, and ps2. One last thing. We will also need a new dvd player and I haven't done much research on them yet. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I am watching all this on a 32" jvc D series, looking to upgrade to a widescreen hdtv in the not so immediate future heh. Thanks in advance!!

--Petro
Old 12-03-02, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Well, I have a Pioneer receiver and JBL speakers, so I think you're doin' just fine.
Are you doing to get a progressive scan DVD player? You might want to if you're going to be getting an HDTV (like I just did). The Panasonic RP-82 was recommended to me, and I'm probably going with that one...
Old 12-03-02, 06:58 PM

for a sub $500 receiver, i cant recommend anything but yamaha. sonically, they beat out almost everyone, even denon (IMO). the yamaha RXV-630 is priced at $499, and has tons of features, and sounds GREAT. dont be fooled by the wattage, they dont rate like the other guys do, they use RMS, which is roughly 3x the standard wattage... for instance, 50 watts RMS ~= 150 watts from the other guys.

give it a shot, you will be impressed.
Old 12-03-02, 07:18 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am looking at progressive scan. Like I say I haven't done any research at all on them yet, but that is my next assignment. Thanks for the tip on the yamaha. I'll have to check that one out this weekend.

--Petro
Old 12-04-02, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here are some of my favorite products in your price range:

The Denon 2802 is going for around $500 at some stores online (it is being replaced, but don't worry it has a very impressive feature set). It was a great value at $800. I would easily take it over any other receiver in that price range.

My favorite budget speakers are the PSB Alpha series. This site has some great package specials including a sub in your price range:

http://www.yawaonline.com/packagespecial.html