DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Questions about using a PS 2 as a DVD player

Old 12-03-02, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Questions about using a PS 2 as a DVD player

A friend was wondering if a Play Station 2 (requested as a Christmas present by her son) would work as a family DVD player. Since I know nothing about PS/2s I thought I'd ask here:

1) How does a PS/2 hook up to a TV? S-video? Component Video? Can it connect to a coax antenna jack on an older TV or does it need an RF converter?

2) What sort of DVD controls does a PS/2 have? Play, Stop, Pause? Menu? Does one have direct access to things like audio settings as one does with a "real" DVD player?

3) What sort of sound output options can be used? Analog out to a stereo system? Digital out to a home theater receiver?

I figure someone here must know about these machines. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 12-03-02, 03:20 PM

It can be used, although I wouldn't recommend it. It can connect through normal RCA inputs or if you need Co-ax, you have to buy an RF adapter. There are also SVGA kits that you can buy which allow you to pass an SVGA signal to the TV. The biggest negative is the controller -- you can purchase a DVD remote control for the PS2 -- but if you don't, you have to use the joystick. Easiest navigation is to push select which brings up a menu of controls and you select one from there.

It does work though, and with a remote would be not too bad if you aren't into digital audio and superior picture. I used one all summer but it started putting thin diagonal red lines through the screen. No idea why.

Hope this helps,
-Mike
Old 12-03-02, 03:56 PM

You can get either S-video or component cables for the PS2. (I use the component cables.)

It also has a digital optical output for hookup to a home theater receiver.

If you're going to go this route, I would definitely recommend the Sony DVD remote for the PS2 that includes the updated DVD drivers and more functionality.

I know that the PS2 is more cumbersome to use than a stand-alone player, but I think it is overcriticized as a player. I've used it as my primary player since the PS2 first came out. I've played over 100 DVDs on it with no problems. I have found the picture and the sound (including DD 5.1 and DTS) to be just fine.
Old 12-03-02, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Guess it's up to your friend... Personally, I would never use mine for a primary DVD player. The picture is OK but it could, of course, be better... My biggest concern is primarily wear and tear. I do a fair amount of gaming and I would prefer to use the PS2 strictly for that, gaming.

Like the others have said, you can hook it up pretty much any way that you like once you buy the adapts and yes, it has an optical output for DD/DTS if you desire...
Old 12-03-02, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have been using mine as a dvd player since it is the only player i have. i have an onkyo home theater system and a nice 27 inch flat screen tv. i got the s-video cable and the digital optical cable and the picture and sound seem pretty damn nice to me. i dont find using the joystick for watching movies that cumbersome. no complaints here. in fact i would recommend it considering it serves a dual function.
Old 12-04-02, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for all the information on this. Very helpful.

-lizard
Old 12-06-02, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My g/f's father got one last year for Xmas and it sucked, sucked, SUCKED!!!!

At first, I thought the movies we watched were just noirish, but then I realized that the brightness and color balance was f-ed up. VERY dark and orange-tinted.

What jammed it home was watching "American Pie 2", then the outakes, etc. The latter looked fine, so I believe that the main program was affected by Macrovision which may not be on the extras. There is no way to compensate for on the unit and it really trashes the image.

I posted on a PC tech site about this and no one had a fix. Also, the lack of a time counter blows. Caveat!
Old 12-07-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

The new software enables an onscreen time counter, and it can even show the elapsed time on discs that aren't time-encoded (but can't show time-remaining on them.) My biggest complaint is the 'chroma bug' that results in a lot of dot-crawl on reddish colors, and the Macrovision which messes up my TV (I have it disabled on my main player.)