DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

What do you think of this home theater system and TV?

Old 11-29-02, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What do you think of this home theater system and TV?

I appreciate all opinions, but keep in mind that an all-in-one home-theater system is my only real shot at having a full system right now. I know that some say to buy the high-dollar components one at a time for a better system, but that's just not in the cards for me. Due to financial reasons that I won't go into, I know it just will never happen, so I'm looking for something that will give me a decent theater system for a reasonable price. Also, my max size for a TV is 36" since that's what will fit into my entertainment center. A widescreen may be 5-7 years down the road for me, but not right now. Up to this point, btw, my primary system has been a Toshiba SD-1600 wired to a 25" Zenith ().

Alright, so enough with the preliminary info, here's what I'm considering right now. Please look at the features and give me your ops, and understand that I'm fairly fuzzy on some of the technical terms. Also, any good review sites you can recommend would be great. Thanks for all the help!

TV: Toshiba 36A42

Theater system: JVC DS-TP670DVD
Old 11-29-02, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since you already own a DVD player, I would only consider HTiB's that are audio only. In general they sound better for the price. And you are only about $100 short of some nice options for purchasing a receiver and speakers seperately.

I like the Toshiba tube TV's quite a bit. A very nice value for $700. They give a good picture through the component inputs.
Old 11-29-02, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The Onkyo SKSHT-500 Speaker Set (5 large, good quality speakers - 2 mains, 2 surrounds, 1 center + 1 subwoofer) is $199.99 (regularly $299.99) at Circuit City for 11/29/02-11/30/02. These are very fine speakers for the price and are a good deal even at regular price.

Pair this set with a Panasonic SAHE100 ($299) reciever, and you'll have a very nice system with 6.1 capability (just pick up another speaker for the rear surround). If 6.1 is not important, then there are probably plenty of good bargain 5.1 recievers for $200ish - although I haven't heard it myself, the Pioneer VSXD411 reciever looks like a very nice deal for $149 at Circuit City.

Last edited by dvdmovie1; 11-29-02 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-29-02, 03:37 PM
Premium Member

Buy from CC through MSN wallet and 20% back in MSN $ upto a $100.

There are also some good finds at the entry level price if you want to go and listen. There is a 6" bookshelf in there ad right now for $19! They are better then any HTIB or even the Onkyo's above and at this price you could get a real sub to go with them
Old 11-30-02, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by bfrank
There is a 6" bookshelf in there ad right now for $19!
The Pioneer's at $39.98 a pair?
Old 11-30-02, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by dvdmovie1
The Onkyo SKSHT-500 Speaker Set (5 large, good quality speakers - 2 mains, 2 surrounds, 1 center + 1 subwoofer) is $199.99 (regularly $299.99) at Circuit City for 11/29/02-11/30/02. These are very fine speakers for the price and are a good deal even at regular price.

Pair this set with a Panasonic SAHE100 ($299) reciever, and you'll have a very nice system with 6.1 capability (just pick up another speaker for the rear surround). If 6.1 is not important, then there are probably plenty of good bargain 5.1 recievers for $200ish - although I haven't heard it myself, the Pioneer VSXD411 reciever looks like a very nice deal for $149 at Circuit City.
Okay, that might be doable. Would that pairing be better than say, something like this? (the Onkyo HTS650, about half way down the page.)

http://www.circuitcity.com/frame1.js...ftchildcat.jsp

Also, I was kind of hoping to have silver speakers since they would look better in my living room. Admittedly, though, that's a very minor thing, and I'd rather have a better system in black than an OK system in silver.
Old 11-30-02, 10:42 AM
Premium Member

Maybe its was a one day.

Skar, you should check them out and let me know what you think. Remember the are $20 speakers! I think even you would be suprised
Old 12-01-02, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I had a chance to listen to a Sony HTiB last night at a friend's house, and I was surprised at how underwhelmed I was with the sound. It just did not impress me at all. Of course, I didn't tell him that.

I guess I'm seeing (or hearing, as the case may be) what you guys are talking about. So I am going to take your advice and get a separate receiver and speakers.

I'm bummed as hell that I missed the sale on those Onkyo speakers. It ended yesterday, and while they are still on sale, they are now $270. Does anybody know if they put these on sale often? Might I find them on sale again before Christmas?
Old 12-01-02, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Boot,

Circuit City has a Price Protection Policy that I took advantage of when I bought the Onkyo speakers.

I would link to the page that has this information, but the way the CC website is, I can't seem to.

I bought the speakers the week before the sale on them that went on this past weekend. When I found out about the sale, I went in and price matched. CC refunded 110% of the difference, which is their policy. Apparently, the policy is a 30-day one and you can check out the details on the website (circuitcity.com) to confirm - there is a link on the front page.

I have price matched a few items at the local store using this policy when CC dropped their price within the period and ran into no hassle (although some stores may be different and try to hassle, I don't know, but I've never had a problem with mine).

In other words, while I don't know if Circuit City will put these speakers on sale again, this policy should allow you to get the speakers now if you want and, if they do go on sale during the holidays, get the difference. Again, ask and make sure about this at your store, but it worked for me.

The Onkyo HT-650 is supposed to be an excellent HTIB, as well (the speakers included with it are apparently the SKSHT-500 speaker set, according to shoponkyo.com, the Onkyo website).

In my case, I just chose to pair the SKSHT-500 speaker set with the Panasonic reciever instead because the Panasonic has 6.1 capability - the Onkyo does not.

Again, you have a lot of options - do some research and find what is right for you. The Onkyo HTIB is very nice, but you also have the option - although a bit more expensive, to pair the Onkyo speaker set with another reciever. Or you can choose other speakers/another reciever.

Just some suggestions/options.
Old 12-02-02, 12:18 AM

my weakest part of my system is my cables right now. i need to upgrade the rears, center channel, and my optical (change to coax). im also waiting to buy my projector so my video kinda sucks now. well, its great, but its tiny.