DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   TOS 50" HD For $1499 at BB (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/254167-tos-50-hd-%241499-bb.html)

tonyj 11-29-02 08:16 AM

TOS 50" HD For $1499 at BB

Best Buy has the Toshiba 50" High-Definition 1080i (50H72) for $1499. This is a great set and I paid $1699 for it just two weeks ago... Gonna' get my $200 back...

Definately a good deal. The set looks fantastic after Video Essentials...

HDTVfor30th 12-02-02 08:35 AM

It's the 4:3 model. You had me excited for a minute.

The 16:9 is on sale for $1999 which is $200 off and still not a bad deal.

Does anyone know if BB will price match with their own web site? I don't think these prices are the same in the stores. According to our local ad, none of them are on sale this week. They're running that free recliner deal this week instead of a sale.

Patman 12-02-02 09:15 AM

Last week I put down a deposit to buy the Panasonic 56" 4:3 HDTV for $1299, which meant the store (Circuit City) was giving the sets away. Hopefully I'll get one of the ones off the last shipment of these sets. I don't have a problem with the 4:3 size because I do watch alot of 4:3 material, moreso than DVDs.

The $1499 for 50" 4:3 HDTV is an okay price, but if you want a 4:3 HDTV set, they are only going to get cheaper as time goes by to make way for the 16x9 HDTV sets.

davidvp 01-20-03 08:36 PM

Can somebody with a Toshiba 50H72 please measure the depth of the shelf area on top of the set? I'd appreciate the info.

Thank You, 50H72 owners. :)

tonyj 01-21-03 08:41 AM

Originally posted by davidvp
Can somebody with a Toshiba 50H72 please measure the depth of the shelf area on top of the set? I'd appreciate the info.

Thank You, 50H72 owners. :)

14" Deep x 42" Long. Holds a receiver and a DVD player with room to spare.

BTW: I went through the 16:9/4:3 decision and got the TOS. I'm very glad I did. The widescreen movies are different formats anyway and I watch them all in their native format. When I watch Star Trek NG and Cowboy Bebop I get the "Big Picture."

Anyway, YMMV.

TJ

davidvp 01-22-03 04:36 AM

Thanks for the info, Tony. Appreciate that. :)

Cheddarmuff 01-23-03 05:17 PM

Originally posted by HDTVfor30th
It's the 4:3 model. You had me excited for a minute.

The 16:9 is on sale for $1999 which is $200 off and still not a bad deal.

Does anyone know if BB will price match with their own web site? I don't think these prices are the same in the stores. According to our local ad, none of them are on sale this week. They're running that free recliner deal this week instead of a sale.

Actually the 50H82 is on sale for $1,899 at Bestbuy.com

There is one in my cart right now, not sure if I should buy or not.

broadwayblue 01-23-03 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Cheddarmuff
Actually the 50H82 is on sale for $1,899 at Bestbuy.com

There is one in my cart right now, not sure if I should buy or not.

or you can get it for $1799 with free shipping from onecall.

Cheddarmuff 01-23-03 07:33 PM

Originally posted by broadwayblue
or you can get it for $1799 with free shipping from onecall.
Great price, the only hang up is that I have a couple hundred in BB gift cards from Christmas I have to get rid of...

Does anyone have an opinion on the difference between the 50h81, 50h82 vs the 50hdx82...??

broadwayblue 01-23-03 11:15 PM

the hdx has a dvi connection which MIGHT be important in the future.

Cheddarmuff 01-24-03 08:32 AM

Originally posted by broadwayblue
the hdx has a dvi connection which MIGHT be important in the future.
Is that it?!?! Not too important to me at the moment...

Also how about the 50h81 and the 50h82?? They are $200 different...can't tell. Does the 50h81 have some other HDTV compatability...:confused:

dgc 01-24-03 08:47 AM

Originally posted by Cheddarmuff
Is that it?!?! Not too important to me at the moment...

Also how about the 50h81 and the 50h82?? They are $200 different...can't tell. Does the 50h81 have some other HDTV compatability...:confused:

I'd recommend you search the toshiba forum at:

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsth...t=&Board=UBB21

Cheddarmuff 01-24-03 11:57 AM

Originally posted by dgc
I'd recommend you search the toshiba forum at:

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsth...t=&Board=UBB21

Nice, thanks!!

*Edit after reading several threads*

Those guys need to learn about paragraphs over there...some of those guys go on for pages... :eek:

davidvp 01-28-03 07:21 PM

I've been reading through the owner's manual of the Toshiba 50H72 (4:3) set, and it says something I do not understand at all (re. the audio connections).

This TV's speakers are supposed to function as a kind of "phantom" center channel speaker in Pro-Logic applications (2.0 Dolby Surround systems, like I currently have).

However, the rub seems to be (for my receiver anyway) that it's impossible to hook up to the TV's "center" speaker input, seeing as how there is NO separate center channel output jack on a Pro-Logic receiver. (And why would there be one?! Since Pro-Logic is only a TWO-channel system, with no center at all present.) Makes no sense why the only hook-up is through a jack that can't exist on DPL systems.

Can anyone with a 50H72 enlighten me on HOW I might be able to accomplish this?

There's just one set of audio OUT jacks on my DPL unit.

broadwayblue 01-28-03 07:34 PM

pro-logic does have a center channel. pro-logic is basically the same as dolby digital with the main difference being that in DD 5.1 the rear speakers are discrete, whereas in pro-logic they are mono. so your pro-logic receiver should have a center channel output.

more importantly, the center channel speaker is the MOST important speaker in the home theater. do not use the speakers in the TV as your center unless you have absolutely positively no other choice. if possible your center channel should have similar audio characteristics as your front left and right speakers. it is not as important that it match the rears.

davidvp 01-30-03 07:47 PM

pro-logic does have a center channel.
But it does not contain a Center Channel OUTPUT jack on DPL receivers. (Mine has none.)

Because Pro-Logic is just a 2.0 system (not 3.0).....and the center/surround channels are derived directly from only the left-right channels, then matrixed, and re-organized to create the effects of center & surround channels. Thus, only TWO output jacks.

But the Toshiba TV I'm getting claims there IS definitely a SEPARATE DPL center-channel output jack on my receiver, and it must be connected to an RCA input on the back of the Toshiba (then an on/off switch is selected to "on" to create the phantom center channel). This is what confuses me. Because I've only got Left/Right outputs! And those must certainly go into the appropriate L/R inputs on the TV for proper reproduction of sound. So, WHERE on Earth am I supposed to come up with a separate "center" line to hook up?

Upon researching a bit on Dolby Pro-Logic, I came up with THIS WEBPAGE, part of which says ......

Since there are two input channels (Lt and Rt) and four control voltages, eight VCAs are used to generate eight variable sub-terms. When added with the Lt and Rt inputs, ten individual terms are available. ..... Two main signals go in (Lt and Rt), and four resultant signals emerge (L, C, R, and S).

Can someone enlighten me further?

Thanks.

tonyj 02-01-03 09:58 AM

The output is on 5.1 and up receivers and is setup like the sub out.