DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   What's the best DVD Player for a 4:3 TV than minimizes letterboxing? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/254118-whats-best-dvd-player-4-3-tv-than-minimizes-letterboxing.html)

joe1347 11-28-02 06:52 PM

What's the best DVD Player for a 4:3 TV than minimizes letterboxing?

I have an older 32" 4:3 analog Sony TV and I'm looking for the best reasonably priced (sub $200) DVD player that will play all of the different video formats (2.35:1, 1.85:1, 4:3, and 4:3 Pan&Scan) with minimal letterboxing. I'm a newbie - but I believe that the feature I am looking for is ZOOM. I purchased a Sony DVD player a few days ago (DVP-NS315) that I believe does not have zoom and would like to quickly replace it. Thanks

Josh Z 11-28-02 07:59 PM

There's an easier and much cheaper fix. Turn off your lights. The black bars melt into the darkness.

The black bars are your friend. They are put there for a reason. Learn to watch the movie, not the black bars.

skar 11-29-02 10:04 AM

Most of us here don't want to remove letterboxing (the picture on your 32" should easily be big enough), but are here some DVD players with zoom:

Panasonic RV-32
Toshiba SD-1800

JimRochester 11-29-02 01:04 PM

Once you zoom the picture, it degrades to where it is no better than VHS. If you don't want widescreen, stick with VHS.

joe1347 11-29-02 11:26 PM

Went for the Toshiba SD1800

Thanks for the Toshiba SD1800 tip. Picked it up today for $99 at Best Buy and the Zoom feature works great. One or two clicks on the zoom button looked better than letterbox - in my opinion (not quite full screen).

For reference, before I purchased the Toshiba - I purchased a JVC XVS502SL that also had a zoom button. The JVC had a great picture - but the Zoom setting window did not turn off (at least I couldn't figure out how to turn it off).

Who knew that this DVD thing was so complicated. I thought that you just stuck one in the player and pressed PLAY.

spainlinx0 11-30-02 01:17 AM

I can almost hear the collective groan from the people reading this.

Josh Z 11-30-02 10:22 AM

And ignorance triumphs over education again.

mikehunt 11-30-02 11:35 AM

there are also many movies that have a full screen version
there would be no bars, and any possible distortion from the zoom would not be there

Wolf Husky 01-24-03 01:50 PM

Ignorance... yup.

I'm looking for an HDTV 55" TV, but I want black and white. No need for color, since I use DVDs, but prefer full screen zoom with crappy resolution. Can anyone refer me to someone that sells large TVs that are B&W? I'm also looking for a home theatre receiver, but I don't need DD5.1 or DTS. I am looking for mono 1.0. Can anyone help?

opus 01-24-03 03:00 PM

Wow... I needed a good chuckle. This worked nicely.

Wolf Husky 01-24-03 08:18 PM

Originally posted by mikehunt
there would be no bars...
I must be one of those "glass is half empty" people. I have never thought of them as bars. I have always thought of them as "absence of picture." When you turn on your TV without video input, you see a black screen. We don't think of it as being filled with a BLACK BOX. So, why do we think of them as black bars?

phraseturner 01-24-03 08:26 PM

my sig is as relevant as ever, it seems....

Groucho 01-24-03 10:19 PM

I'll give everybody three guesses at Joe's last name. :lol: