DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question about a new receiver for old father

Old 11-27-02, 11:02 AM

Question about a new receiver for old father (VENTURER)

My father was planning on purchasing a new receiver as his old receiver (20+ years old) finally gave up. His needs are very simple and he was planning on using his two existing speakers (20+ years old) to hook up to his new receiver. Also, his price requirements ares "as cheap as possible".

However, after looking around, I found a 350-watt Venturer 5.1/DTS surround sound system (including speakers) and a 5-disc DVD changer for $199.99 AR at the circuit city website.

Since this system includes the speakers, he might be willing to trash his old speakers (they suck) and since he doesn't have a DVD player, he might be willing to spend a little more.

My question is this. Has anyone heard anything about the Venturer brand? I know it is definitely not a top-brand name but I was looking for something to last for a while (with little use). Can anybody think of a better deal keeping in mind the price constraints?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by ShizNitz; 11-27-02 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-27-02, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am really not sure how to help you except to say you get what you pay for.

I have never heard of this brand.

Since he is asking for a receiver, does he even want the balance of the items?
Old 12-01-02, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, you get what you pay for! If Dad hung on to his speakers and receiver for 20 years, they were probably pretty good quality to have lasted that long. This el-cheapo HTIB is sure to not impress him much.

I've seen Venturer, but only at swap meets and Ebay. I'm surprised CC is carrying this brand. Also, doublecheck the specs, it shows DTS as NO.

If Dad is hard of hearing, there's pro's and cons to this system.

Con: This setup is sure to be so quiet that Dad won't hear much of what's going on.

Pro: Dad won't be able to hear the tinny sound of the crappy 3" speakers.

If you love your dad, take what he's willing to spend and put it all towards a receiver. If you don't love your dad, talk him into the Venture.