DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Suggestions: 20" TV for Under $300

Old 11-25-02, 11:39 PM

Suggestions: 20" TV for Under $300

I'm looking at getting a TV and DVD player for my Girlfriend for christmas, I'm hoping to spend no more than $400 all together. I know that sounds like wishful thinking but its pretty much a necessity, I have to have enough money left to buy her the DVDs she wants too. I've been looking mostly at "20 sets trying to find the most bang for my buck, but the truth is I know nothing about TVs. And I'd prefer that it was a Silver cabinet to match her VCR and Stereo. Any help anyone can give is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-26-02, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Most 20" TV's go for under $200 and are pretty much all the same, from what I've seen. Most of the flat screen 20"'s go for $200-$250 tops. If you're going to watch DVD's on it I'd suggest getting at least a 27" TV, still possible for under $300. If it's got to be 20", I'd suggest a flat screen as it will be slightly easier to watch a DVD even on the smaller screen.
Old 11-26-02, 01:00 AM

I just found an Advent Q2035A for $199 and it seems to be a pretty good tv, but I have never heard of Advent before. Anyone here know anything about them?

Ad Description: This TV has features normally found on larger models. The flat picture tube cuts down on unwanted glare, the comb filter cleans up the picture and the component video input is great for DVD.
Old 11-26-02, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've seen Advent TV's for sale, I think they're just a rebadged name from another manufacturer. Someone here probably knows. If I was looking for a 20" TV for DVD's, from the description and price I'd probably buy it.
Old 11-26-02, 04:45 PM
Li

I've been looking for a new 27" Flat-Screen for Christmas. Anyone have anything else to say about the Advent models? Best Buy has the one 27" for $300 this week. If nothing else, I'll probably go with the Akai from Sam's Club.

On the topic of 20" TVs:

Walmart has a Samsung 20" Flat-Screen and a RCA 20" Flat-Screen for around $200. However, the Samsung is online only.
Old 11-26-02, 05:36 PM

Well, the CompUSA's around here have had the Apex 20" for like $80 we picked one up just to play games on and its got a nice picture.. also has s video and side rca inputs