DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Onkyo SKSHT-500 or Polk RM6000 - Help (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/253385-onkyo-sksht-500-polk-rm6000-help.html)

lpvo 11-25-02 03:57 PM

Onkyo SKSHT-500 or Polk RM6000 - Help

I am looking at two options for HTIB here ... any help would be appreciated.

1. At CC, I can get Onkyo HTS650 for 500.00 + tax which has the TSR500 receiver
and the SKSHT500 speaker system.
2. At crutchfield, I can get the Onkyo TSR500, Polk RM6000 speaker system,
with a free Polk sub, sattelite speaker stands, for about 565.00 shipped.

The receiver is the same, the difference is in the speaker system. I've been
hearing that the Polk speakers are far more better than the Onkyo speaker
but they are far more expensive. I was leaning to option 2 but just read
here that the SKSHT500 is a good speaker system. Any idea ?

Thanks in advance ...

mikec171 11-25-02 04:32 PM

Let me preface by saying I have listened to neither of these speaker systems. I have, however, been doing a lot of the same research.

In all of the reviews I have found on the internet:
An Onkyo review and tons of user feedback
More user reviews of Onkyo

I have found the Onkyo system to get a better rating (Although, couldn't find many reviews of the Polk RM6000 system. Must be new?). I know Polk has a much better reputation for speakers and I think lots of people here just post on that reputation. I would also be very interested in what people who have really listened to these two very systems feel is the better one. Several people in the above links claim to have done just this.

Also, I would use this to supply music for parties also, and I know both systems could rock, I would just feel more comfortable with a little bit bigger speakers than the miniature polks.

Thanks to all replies,

-Mike

Jim 11-25-02 05:15 PM

There are a lot of user reviews of the Onkyo speakers at circuitcity.com. They appear to be very well liked. I personally have the Polks matched with that Onkyo receiver and like the sound a lot. Size of the speakers was an issue with me so I didn't really look at the Onkyos. The CC reviewers seem to rate the Onkyo speakers higher than the Polks, however. Just another $0.02 opinion.

lpvo 11-25-02 06:22 PM

jim ... did you have the RM6000 which only have 4 sattelites and a center channel with the Onkyo receiver ?
Also, what kind of sub that you have ?
And crutchfield does not carry the HTS650 ... :(

sdcrym 11-25-02 06:44 PM

I got the HT-S650 about a month ago. The speakers seem great to me, but they're the first I've had, so I don't really know how to compare them. They're fairly large speakers, and are pretty nice looking with the wood cabinets. I ordered mine from BestPriceAudioVideo.com and was very pleased. It's $470 shipped, so that's the price I payed -- no tax no shipping.

To sum up, I don't really feel qualified to tell you which to get, but if you decide to get the Onkyo, try that company.

dvdmovie1 11-26-02 05:17 AM

I have the Onkyo SKSHT speakers paired with a Panasonic SAHE100 reciever. I got the same pairing after putting them up for someone else and being impressed with the sound. The speakers sound terrific - great clarity, detail, capable of pushing nice power - and the build quality is excellent (wood cabinets), although they are on the big side. I couldn't be happier with these speakers and I really do like the Panasonic reciever, as well.

The Onkyo speakers come with color-coded speaker wire for easy hook-up. There's enough to put up surrounds on the side walls of a 10ft by 10ft room with maybe a few feet of wire to spare. If you want better/need longer wire, that's always an option, but wire is included.

Jim 11-26-02 12:14 PM

Originally posted by lpvo
jim ... did you have the RM6000 which only have 4 sattelites and a center channel with the Onkyo receiver ?
Also, what kind of sub that you have ?
And crutchfield does not carry the HTS650 ... :(

The RM6000 speaker set I have comes with 4 satellites, center channel, and a 50W powered sub with an 8" driver. I think the reason there are deals on this set right now is because they came out with a new model designation that has a sub with a 10" driver. The other speakers seem to be the same in the new model based on the specs.

Like others, I'm not going to say this is the best or anything like that. This is my first home theater system so I'm in no position to compare it to others. All I know is that I really like the sound and am completely happy with my purchase and the price I paid. I had originally ordered some Cambridge Soundworks speakers, but they didn't ship in a timely manner which gave me a chance to do some second-guessing and continue looking around. When I found these speakers on sale at Crutchfield and some other discounts I could get there by also purchasing a receiver, I cancelled the Cambridge order and got the Polk/Onkyo combo. They shipped out that night at a great price and I couldn't be happier.