Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

NEED SETUP HELP Upgrading from Junk TV to HDTV!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-02, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I am getting an HDTV in 3 days. I have a progressive scan DVD player (plus VCR, PS2, DirecTV, and CD player)--all currently run through my receiver audio and video (receiver has S-video connections, no component--not even sure if they make receivers w/component).

However, I'll want to connect my DVD player directly out to the HDTV, right? And will that mess anything up, or will I still be able to leave the audio the way it is, optical running out to the receiver? Can I hook up my other components directly to the TV video as well (DirecTV, VCR and PS2)??? And then just have the audio through the receiver, or how does that work?

In short, what sort of adjustments will I need to make by swapping out a crappy 25" TV (that doesn't even has S-video) with a beautiful 47" HDTV. I just want to make sure I can still hook it up and have it work basically the same--only look 18,000x better!

ANY INPUT will be GREAT appreciated. I have been waiting for this day for a long time, and I just REALLY don't want to have a bunch of setup problems!

THANKS A LOT in advance!
Old 11-24-02, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run your directv (hdtv?)and dvd to the componet video in on tv.Use s-video for the rest.Run all audio to reciever.The idea is to get video directly to tv,and audio directly to reciever.
Old 11-25-02, 03:22 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TANK
Run your directv (hdtv?)and dvd to the componet video in on tv.Use s-video for the rest.Run all audio to reciever.The idea is to get video directly to tv,and audio directly to reciever.
Generally agree with the above, but keep in mind that you'll lose the video switching capability that your receiver is currently providing. Means that after you select the source on your receiver, you'll have to select the correct video option on your TV too. Just another extra step.

FYI, there are receivers that have component switching, but I believe that most receivers only do video switching for one type of input, so if you have mulitple types of video ins (component/s video) then you still won't be able to do video switching. I think there are (more expensive) receivers that do video switching with different video inputs, but I'm not sure.

I have a composite to s-video converter plug between my vcr and my receiver for this reason (so that all my video inputs are s video).
Old 11-25-02, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by Blade
Generally agree with the above, but keep in mind that you'll lose the video switching capability that your receiver is currently providing. Means that after you select the source on your receiver, you'll have to select the correct video option on your TV too. Just another extra step.

FYI, there are receivers that have component switching, but I believe that most receivers only do video switching for one type of input, so if you have mulitple types of video ins (component/s video) then you still won't be able to do video switching. I think there are (more expensive) receivers that do video switching with different video inputs, but I'm not sure.

I have a composite to s-video converter plug between my vcr and my receiver for this reason (so that all my video inputs are s video).
OK! Between these two replies I feel like I'm getting a handle on things. Just a few more questions if you don't mind:

(1) It makes total sense that video switching will have to be done on the TV since the video's there now and not through the receiver. I'm assuming most remotes handle this extra step?

(2) This s-video converter you mentioned--You can really use something like that to help the picture reception from a VCR with only composite connections? And then just plug that into an S-video connector on the HDTV? Just pick one up at Radio Shack? Sounds awesome if it really helps...

(3) Do you get used to having "regular TV" stretched to fill the screen or does it look really weird? I think I'd prefer to have it this way (avoid grey bars/burn-in), but what do most people do?

(3) ANYTHING ELSE at all ANYONE thinks I should know about making the change--setup-wise or otherwise? I have been waiting for this day for a long time and really want to get the most out of my widescreen HDTV and would welcome any input from anyone who's had one a while.

THANKS!!! Delivery in 2 days...
Old 11-25-02, 03:32 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by uteotw
(1) It makes total sense that video switching will have to be done on the TV since the video's there now and not through the receiver. I'm assuming most remotes handle this extra step?
Yes. The TV's remote should have a button for this on it. Alternatively, a universal remote can probably be programmed to do it if it's a learning remote, or it might replicate this function by default (I would think that would be unlikely though).
(2) This s-video converter you mentioned--You can really use something like that to help the picture reception from a VCR with only composite connections? And then just plug that into an S-video connector on the HDTV? Just pick one up at Radio Shack? Sounds awesome if it really helps...
It doesn't "help" the signal, and possibly degrades it somewhat. All it does is allow you to connect a composite cable to an s-video connector. And yes, you can get it at Radio Shack. For me, it was just the VCR (which I don't watch much) and it looks good enough on my set. It's a pretty cheap part, and you should be able to return it if you don't like it.

I don't have a 16:9 TV yet, though I've watched 4:3 content on my portable player that automatically streches non anamorphic content. I got used to it, but it still looks odd. I'm not sure what I'd do in your position...I was hoping to test out different TVs and find one with zoom functions I liked (I hear the Pioneers were pretty good about this) and am now thinking of going with a front projector for my main setup, so I'm hoping it won't be an issue for me. You might want to play around with the zoom functions and see if you can find one that's less distracting.
Old 11-25-02, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Blade
Yes. The TV's remote should have a button for this on it. Alternatively, a universal remote can probably be programmed to do it if it's a learning remote, or it might replicate this function by default (I would think that would be unlikely though). It doesn't "help" the signal, and possibly degrades it somewhat. All it does is allow you to connect a composite cable to an s-video connector. And yes, you can get it at Radio Shack. For me, it was just the VCR (which I don't watch much) and it looks good enough on my set. It's a pretty cheap part, and you should be able to return it if you don't like it.

I don't have a 16:9 TV yet, though I've watched 4:3 content on my portable player that automatically streches non anamorphic content. I got used to it, but it still looks odd. I'm not sure what I'd do in your position...I was hoping to test out different TVs and find one with zoom functions I liked (I hear the Pioneers were pretty good about this) and am now thinking of going with a front projector for my main setup, so I'm hoping it won't be an issue for me. You might want to play around with the zoom functions and see if you can find one that's less distracting.
THANKS for the great input.
And I'll take ANY further input anyone has on setting up my first HDTV!
Old 11-25-02, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By the way, what TV are you getting? I've been thinking about making the jump to an HDTV soon but will have to shop around like mad. Any suggestions from anyone who recently bought one?
Old 11-25-02, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by buskerdog
By the way, what TV are you getting? I've been thinking about making the jump to an HDTV soon but will have to shop around like mad. Any suggestions from anyone who recently bought one?
I went with this 47" Samsung. I have had only good experiences with Samsungs in the past, the price was right, the features were right, the size was right, and the 24 months interest-free financing was too good to pass up... (And yes I got the extended warranty, which I new I would going in. To me the peace of mind is worth it, plus we might be moving, so it was worth it, I figured.)