DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

video noise?

Old 11-21-02, 06:35 PM
jetjaguar69

video noise?

I'm having a bit of a problem with video noise. I've gone through
4 different dvd players and I've tried monster cables(video3 top line) and I still notice flickering video noise. I had my sonykv36fv27
look at by a tech, and he said that the tv is in perfect working order. The dvds that are displaying this video noise are Excalibur, Shawshank, SW episode2 ect. It's very random. I've tried all sorts
of things to try to find the source, but no dice. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Oh yeah, does BNR (block noise reduction) actually work?

Thanks,

jg
Old 11-22-02, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
What exactly do you mean by "video noise"? Can you be more specific as to what you are seeing?
Old 11-22-02, 12:53 PM
jetjaguar69

Originally posted by Josh Z
What exactly do you mean by "video noise"? Can you be more specific as to what you are seeing?
It looks like sort of small static grainy spots flickering on top of the picture. It could be interferance from another source.

Thanks,
jg
Old 11-22-02, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
Are those the only three DVDs that have this problem, or do all DVDs have this problem? What about other video sources?

It's either interference or there's something wrong with your TV (despite what the tech says).
Old 11-24-02, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's on top and directly to the side of your TV? If speakers, move them at least a couple feet away and try again. Is it just those DVDs? Does it happen when watching cable TV? Does it happen if your receiver is turned off?
Old 11-24-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are the flickering video noise randomly appearing throughout the movie? Or is there a consistent location where the problem appear? If it's consistent, please mention the time index and we can check it out on our setup to see if it's reproduceable.
Old 11-24-02, 12:24 PM
jetjaguar69

Thanks for the suggestions. These mosaic like images that I'm seeing the flickering occur are very random. I turned off all the power in my audio/video system except the dvd player an tv and I still notice the video noise. For example, in Shawshank Redemption the video noise goes through out the whole movie, especially in beginning(darker lit scenes) But it so strange because I just watched Das Boot and man the picture looks fantastic! Oh yeah, Monster cables in my opinion is just a disappointment. I purchased the top of the line component cables
and I noticed no improvement. Fortunately, I was able to return them. Anyway, I'll try to move my front speakers further apart. I have my center already placed on the bottom. Thanks for all your input.

jg