DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

TV not displaying S-Video, Monitor Signal

Old 11-21-02, 02:54 PM

TV not displaying S-Video, Monitor Signal

I just purchased a new Pioneer Home Theater system. The A/V tuner (Pioneer VSX-C300) has a monitor (RCA cable) output in addition to the usual DVD/VCR/TV input/output RCA cable connections. The DVD player (Pioneer DV-444) has S-Video output and the usual RCA outputs. I have correctly hooked up all of the input/output and speakers between the A/V and DVD to get outstanding 5.1 Surround from the system.

My TV is an RCA Stereo Monitor ColorTrak Plus, model F27631SF. The TV has coax input, video-in (RCA) and S-Video.

The *only* way I can get a video signal from the DVD player to the TV is going through the coax cable. Unfortunately, in order to do this, I must route the signal through my old VCR. This causes the picture to fade in and out, bright to dark. I assume that this is to prevent recording the DVD.

The TV has the S-Video and RCA monitor input, but I cannot figure out how to set the TV (or even if the connections work) to display the video signal on the TV. I do not have the TV Owner's Manual, nor can I find it on RCA's website.

Any help would be appreciated. I could use assistance on how to set the TV; alternate methods of sending a A/V RCA cable output into the TV coax input; a website with an Owner's Manual for this exact model of TV; or a setting that will eliminate the the picture pulse.

Thanks!!!
PeggySue
Old 11-21-02, 04:32 PM
Uber Member

So when you have a DVD playing and the player hooked up to the TV via the S-Video connections, hitting the Video button (might need to push it more than once) on the front of the TV doesn't get you a DVD picture?

If not, then these inputs on your TV might be broken.

You can buy an RCA/S-Video to coax converter at Radio Shack. If you get one with at least 2 inputs, then you could connect the DVD player and the VCR to the converter, and then the converter to the TV. I think some even come with automatic switching.

Good luck.
Old 11-21-02, 08:15 PM

Well, we went to Radio Shack and purchased a DVD Video Component Adapter RF Modulator (#15-1214). It works great. So the problem is fixed.

However, it still bugs me that the Television has S-Video and Video Monitor RCA input but will not display the picture. The TV does not have a "Video" button as mentioned in the above post. Wish it did. Nor does it have that option within the control menus.

It seems like the RF Modulator is money needlessly spent on a TV that should be able to handle it. Again any help within the next 30 days would be great. Then I could take back the RF Modulator.

PeggySue

P.S. THANKS!!! David for your reply.
Old 11-22-02, 01:31 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by PeggySue
However, it still bugs me that the Television has S-Video and Video Monitor RCA input but will not display the picture. The TV does not have a "Video" button as mentioned in the above post. Wish it did. Nor does it have that option within the control menus.
Hmm. That seems a little odd.

If you can get a good look at the inputs on the back of the TV, are they marked Video 1 and 2? I don't think I've ever heard of a TV that had coax, RCA and S-Video connections all on the same input. Is there maybe a hidden control panel on the front of the TV somewhere that has the Video/TV or Input button?
Old 11-22-02, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IF no input or Video button, try changing channels lower than 1/2? My old tv in my bedroom has RCA inputs and if you channel down lower than 2 it switches to that. I have no Video/input option on my remove/tv either.
Old 11-22-02, 02:41 PM

The back of the TV has:

S-Video
Coax Cable/Antenna
RCA Video Input
RCA R/L Audio Out
RCA R/L Audio In

No switches, nothing labeled Video 1/2, no secret panels.

I have tried channels 1 through 125 (the highest) in both "Cable" and "Air" mode. The Video menu gives the option of changing the "Video1" channel and the "VCR" channel. I currently have the VCR set to channel 3 and the Video1 set to channel 4. I tried changing both of those to find the signal with no success.

So, my solution with the RF Modulator was to view the VCR/DVD through the modulator on channel 3 and to watch the Digital Cable TV on channel 4.

Last edited by PeggySue; 11-22-02 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-22-02, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll check my tv when I get home, because mine is set similar with the VCR channel set to something, etc. I know if i go down below 2 OR type 999 it switches to "VCR", which in essense is Video 1 (the RCA input).
Old 11-22-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe RCA tv's work either s-video or rca jacks for video but not both at the same time. No on-board video detection/switching capabilities.
Old 11-22-02, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, try changing channels to 00, in rca's this sometimes moves the video to s-video.