DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   What's the best HDTV I can get for $1000-1500? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/252103-whats-best-hdtv-i-can-get-%241000-1500-a.html)

me7h0dman 11-19-02 11:39 PM

What's the best HDTV I can get for $1000-1500?

I'm thinking about buying a new tv next week with all the black Friday deals. Any suggestions? I want one that's at least 32". The tv would mostly be used for watching dvds and playing videogames.

chipmac 11-20-02 12:53 AM

I think you might be able to find a Panny 48" for about $1500 if you find a good sale. I hear its a pretty good set.

HDTVfor30th 11-20-02 08:05 AM

The Panasonic mentioned above is a pretty nice set (it's 47" though I believe). However, if you have pets, small children, or frequent visitations by pets or small children, I'd get something with a screen protector which the Panasonic lacks.

I myself just bought a Toshiba 42H82 for about $1600 and I can't say enough about it so far. It may be a little smaller, but 50" was too big for me (actually for my wife, but who's counting) and the 4:3 pitcure stretching is outstanding. Everyone and every thing looks like it would on a regular 4:3 TV, but instead it's in widescreen!

DVD's look great too. Sitting about 8 ft. away with all the lights out watching Spiderman, we almost felt like we were actually in a theater. I'm using a 3.5 year old non-progressive scan Sony DVD player with an S-video connection, so the picture could probably be even better.

Icculus 11-20-02 09:03 AM

Originally posted by HDTVfor30th
The Panasonic mentioned above is a pretty nice set (it's 47" though I believe). However, if you have pets, small children, or frequent visitations by pets or small children, I'd get something with a screen protector which the Panasonic lacks.

You can actually find the model with the protective screen (the 47wx52) for somewhere around $1600.

HDTVfor30th 11-20-02 12:42 PM

You can actually find the model with the protective screen (the 47wx52) for somewhere around $1600.
True. But not at a B&M store like Best Buy. They only carry the 47WX42's and I don't imagine too many online retailers (which is only where you would find the 47WX52 for $1600) will be having black Friday sales. Sears is the only B&M store that I've seen selling it and they want $1800 for it.

You probably will get a better deal from an online store for any RPTV than you will from any of the B&M's black Friday sales.

bmello 11-20-02 02:17 PM

I've owned the 47" Panny for over a year with a 67lb dog and child. Sure I've had to clean it a few times but I don't see not having a protective screen a problem. I would imagine if I had to replace the screen it should be pretty cheap. Its only a piece of plastic.

me7h0dman 11-20-02 02:34 PM

I probably wouldn't need a protective screen - no kids and no pets. The panny is looking pretty good right now. Especially if I can get a nice deal on it. I think Best Buy is having a $100 off sale on HDTVs starting the 25th. Hopefully I can get 12 or 18 month financing too. Or I might just wait for the preferred customer weekend. Whenever that is...

Oh and does the protective screen make the picture look any better/worse?

gotapex 11-20-02 02:51 PM

http://www.avs-store.com/MSDetails.a...umber=PT53wx42

HDTVfor30th 11-20-02 03:32 PM

Oh and does the protective screen make the picture look any better/worse?
I don't think it has any effect on the picture at all. It just gives the screen a more "finished look". On the downside, it does reflect light. I don't have a lot of windows in the room, but if I did I would not have opted for the shield for that reason.

You can still get one for the Panasonic TV's if you want to down the road, but it will cost you about $200 - $300 from what I've learned. Sounds like you don't have a need for it right now though.

uteotw 11-23-02 08:37 PM

I just went the a nice Samsung 47"--and I definitely needed the protective screen (small kids). It was on sale at BB, about $80 off, plus I got 24 months no interest, plus IF it goes down in price in the next 60 days--Black Friday included--they'll give you the difference (following CC's lead). If you don't care about the protective screen, the Panasonic is nice and you'll save about $100.