DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Mitsubishi Progressive DVD player??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/251613-mitsubishi-progressive-dvd-player.html)

DJ_Longfellow 11-18-02 07:54 AM

Mitsubishi Progressive DVD player???

I need some information in Mitsubishi Progressive DVD player. Best Buy just started to carry Mits products, and they have a progressive-scan player for like $199 i believe. I'm not positive of the model #, i'm sure someone knows it though.

I was just wondering if this player was any good in comparison to the Panny RP-62 DVD player? I'm still looking to pick up a progressive scan player, and i have a Mits WIDEscreen HDTV, so that is why i was considering staying with a Mits player.

Thanx

joshd2012 11-18-02 02:44 PM

I believe I remember reading here that the Mitz players are manufactured by Toshiba? Is that right, or was it some other company?

DJ_Longfellow 11-19-02 11:32 AM

Nobody knows anything about Mits DVD players???? I don't buy it...someone always does around here

phraseturner 11-19-02 05:30 PM

Best Buy is a special case. Although they carry Mitsubishi products as of this year, the model #'s will not match any normal 2003 Mitsu. catalog. the store i sold these products at for 5 yrs. was miffed when Best Buy got to start carrying the line, but it was hard to figure out just what BB was selling compared to Mitsubishi's full line of products that better A/V stores stock.
i think Sears does something similar. same chasis, same tv's more-or-less, but a chain-soecific model #. Target carried Mits. dvd players and vcrs for a couple of model years, and had thier own model #'s, too.

as for you DVD question--Mitsu. has 3 players in it's 2003 lineup. the bottom-end DD-4030 is made by Funai(!), for the utter stinch of crap.
the DD-6030 and DD-8030 are euqal to Toshiba's SD-4800, and 5800. i beleive the difference is the 4800 reads DVD-Audio discs, but only outputs it in 2-channel. the 5800 does full 6-channel output of DVD-Audio discs. both have great multiple-setting zoom/shrink functions--a big help since mitsu. 16:9 HD sets lock into full mode for a 480 p signal. the player's zoom can overcome the non-anamrophic discs that would otherwise have black bars on all four sides of the image...

DJ_Longfellow 11-20-02 11:10 AM

Ok, i figured out what model it is there. They have the DD-6030. What would be the best bet to buy....the Mits model listed above or the Panny RP-62? I'm looking for something at Best Buy since my friend works there, and can get me a good deal. They only have a select few progressive DVD players

Thanks

TonyS 11-21-02 06:45 AM

Wait! Wait! Wait! The Mitsubishi DD-6030 is a rebadged Toshiba SD-3800 (not the 4800 which has DVD-Audio). Look at the backs of both units at BB (as I did) to confirm this. You can buy the SD-3800 for $159 or the Mitsubishi for $199. The only difference is the name plate on the front and that the Mits is available in black and the Toshiba in silver. Is black worth $40 more to you? You make the call! If you really want a black player, consider the Toshiba SD-4800 since it is only available in black and adds DVD-Audio (outputs in 6-channel) for the same $199 price as the Mits. I just picked up the SD-3800 at Tweeter (on sale for $142 this past weekend) and so far I think it's a great player!

DJ_Longfellow 11-21-02 10:55 AM

So, can anyone confirm this???? Is the Mits internal guts the same as the Toshiba???? I can't believe they would do this...they are different companies, correcT?

What would be the best progressive player out of the 3 or 4 they have at Best Buy?

Panny RP-62 (only the damn silver one)
Sony 715
Mits DD-6030
Toshiba SD-3800

any others there?!?!?

TonyS 11-21-02 11:20 AM

DJ - As you can tell from my previous post, I recommend the SD-3800. Here is my reasoning why:

RP62 - no chroma bug, but has flicker bug which, IMHO, is more annoying than the chroma bug; also no coaxial digital out
715 - chroma bug much worse than DD-6030/SD-3800; also $40 more than SD-3800
DD-6030 - rebadged SD-3800 for $40 more (someone else please confirm this for him)
SD-3800 - slight chroma bug, great zoom feature, great price

There has also some discussion on this topic on other sites (avs forum, HT Spot, etc.). Heck, I even posted this same question on avs re: the DD-6030. Worst case scenario, buy both of them from BB, put them side-by-side and see for yourself.

phraseturner 11-25-02 11:33 PM

he's right. i was one step ahead with the mitsu. to toshiba cross-reference. the dd-6030 is the sd-3800, and the dd-803 is the sd-4800. get the toshiba and save money.

nekobus 11-26-02 07:25 PM

Unless you have a specific reason to pruchase at BB, I would get the Panasonic RP-82 instead ($207 with free ship from onecall.com). It's a better player than the others listed.