Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please offer opinions on Monster Cable grades

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-16-02, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been searching for a thread on this, but surprisingly could not find one.

I would like to buy good quality S-Video cable for my DVD player. Is there enough quality difference between each grade to justify the price difference?

Monster Super Video 2 S-video cable approx $24.99 (3.3ft)

Monster Super Video 3 S-video cable approx $39.99 (3.3ft)

Monster Cable Z300sv High-performance S-video cable approx $79.99 (3.3ft)

Thanks in advance for advice and posts.
Old 11-16-02, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IMO, no.

What TV and DVD player do you own?
Old 11-16-02, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TV is a Sony KP-53V85, which is an 53" analog rear projection tv.
DVD player is a Sony DAV-C990.
Old 11-16-02, 01:03 PM
Banned

Same argument can be said about whether or not to buy Monster Cable in the first place. Some people can tell the difference between the different grades, and some people can't. Its all up to personal opinion.
Old 11-17-02, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is indeed a hot topic, as it seems that anything other then zip cord or Home Depot wire is brandished as 'snake oil' by many (regradless of the fact they have never seen the product in question with their own eyes/ears, and prefer to make broadbrush statements based on trolling internet forums, IMHO or course).
My philosophy has always been let your ears/eyes be the judge and not what anyone else says or writes. Opinions are a good springboard, but in the end your own tastes and conclusions should be the judge.
My suggestion is to find a good A/V dealer in your area (not the chain stores) and get to know the staff. The more you buy and get a relationship formed the more likely you will be able to do in-home equipment tests before you buy, or at least be able to return a product if you don't like it.
I disagree with any 'formulas' on wire costs ("if your tv cost X, then spend Y on cables") Granted, $80.00 interconnects on a 13" TV is stupid, but you've obviously spent some cash on a large TV and should see a visual difference in different cables. Find a dealer that wil let you try some different cables and find what works best for you.
Good luck.
Old 11-19-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've noticed a slight improvement in picture quality when upgrading from the freebie crap-o S-video cables you get with a new component and the Monster S-Video 2 cables. Don't know what improvement there is with the next levels up. Can't really go that high in price.
Old 11-29-02, 09:33 PM
bga

I'm not going to comment on the quality of Monster Cables, because I don't know what the differences are, but my friends that work at BestBuy tell me that Monster Cables have a very high markup.
Old 11-30-02, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Monster cables are good, just overpriced.

Check out www.partsexpress.com and get yourself one of their brand (dayton audio) for about 1/5th the price of monster, and it's a cable of the exact same quality.

If that's too "cheap" for ya, or since you've probably never heard of Datyon, then go for the Acoustic Research cable.

I just bought one of each of the above to replace my monster cable which I suspected was leading to a minor bit of flicker in contrast from my dvd to tv, and I was right. Also, I didn't notice one bit of clarity difference going from the Monster cable (the s3, $39.99) to the Acoustic Research ($28.99) to the Dayton Audio (10.99). I ended up staying with the Dayton, because the build quality on them is unbelievable! And for the money, who could go wrong?
Old 12-11-02, 08:18 PM

Do you know any other sites where i can find cheap monster cables???
Old 12-12-02, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

for get Monster,

ether AR cables or try here www.avcable.com

tommy
Old 12-12-02, 01:33 PM
Cool New Member

i've been slowly upgrading all of my cables to monster or similar hi-grade cables. the major quality improvement is in it's shielding of other signal sources. the back of my components are a mess of wires and cables (i'm sure like most people's) so it was important that most of my important cables get proper shielding. for example, i had a slight hum running through my preamp when the sound was up to 8 (1-10, figure 4 is normal listening). granted i'm not goin to listen to stuff that loud, but there was definitely a hum. with the new cables, they were completely gone. those distortions are caused by interference from other cables but most importantly from electrical power sources.

as for the grades, i really haven't seen much difference. i've been purchasing them on ebay (you could find $200 monster cables for about $40) and have just been buying the ones that are a good deal, meaning cheaper than what i would get at the store. not really looking at grades. figure if you're purchasing cables from a hi-end audiophile, the quality of used cables will be pristine.
Old 12-13-02, 12:53 AM
mvc

I've bought some Monster cables on Ebay also. Its a much better deal than buying em B&M. The ones I got were barely used.... I haven't compared em to S-Video, but they were sure better than my old standard video cables.
Old 12-13-02, 09:15 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by mvc
I've bought some Monster cables on Ebay also. Its a much better deal than buying em B&M. The ones I got were barely used.... I haven't compared em to S-Video, but they were sure better than my old standard video cables.
Ditto, if you feel better about going with the Monster brand, then shop at ebay for the best prices.
Old 12-13-02, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by bga
I'm not going to comment on the quality of Monster Cables, because I don't know what the differences are, but my friends that work at BestBuy tell me that Monster Cables have a very high markup.
the AR cables even have a slightly higher markup than the Monsters at BB. Anyways, any Monster cable would be fine. I would go with the lowest grade. I could tell a difference between Monster and the standard cable, but could not tell a difference between the various grades of Monster cable, other than the thickness of the cable, and the feeling of more expensiveness. Even the Acoustic Research cables seemed just as good as the Monster. This is with both audio and video.

There is one exception. If you use an amplifier with a passive preamp stage, like a Creek integrated, then the cables can make a big difference. I used some generic RCA cables that would likely come packaged with a component, and there was almost no volume, and the sound seemed like it was coming from far away, and echoey. Then I tried any name brand cable, and it sounded great.

Only thing I dislike about the AR cables is that they have a very tight connection, and I fear they might pull the RCA jacks off the back of my TV.

Last edited by llzackll; 12-13-02 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-14-02, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by contempt
i've been slowly upgrading all of my cables to monster or similar hi-grade cables. the major quality improvement is in it's shielding of other signal sources. the back of my components are a mess of wires and cables (i'm sure like most people's) so it was important that most of my important cables get proper shielding. for example, i had a slight hum running through my preamp when the sound was up to 8 (1-10, figure 4 is normal listening). granted i'm not goin to listen to stuff that loud, but there was definitely a hum. with the new cables, they were completely gone. those distortions are caused by interference from other cables but most importantly from electrical power sources.
I have a bunch of Monster Cables on my system also, yes I fell for it, and actually have a hum with them and none using generic stuff. I did hear a slight difference in sound when I first got them, not better or worse just different, but after about 2 minutes you forget about it because it is just a different sound, IMHO.
Old 12-14-02, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have all monster Z series in my setup. Now I can tell the difference between cables. But there are other great cables that are even better then Monster. Check out www.taralabs.com or www.bettercables.com they all make great cables. If you don't have a high end HT system don't purchase $200.00 S-video cable. One thing you may want to do is if you know somebody that works for BB, CC, or Ultimate Electronics they all get 60% monster cable products. There is a form they can get and all you do is just mail it in w/ your CC# and about 1-2 weeks later you have the cables.
Old 12-14-02, 10:02 AM

My HT system is all wired with Monster Cables and they are all
bundled up together. So far I have not any humming experience
from them like some of you guys do.

I agree with DVD O Rama. Let your own ears and eyes be the
judge and not be swayed by opinions of others. Some say
Monster Cables are overpriced but one has to look at the quality
built of the product. You pay peanuts you get peanuts.

Overall I am happy with Monster Cables' performance which gives
me true satisfaction and allowing me to enjoy my DVDs and that
is what matters most.
Old 12-27-02, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by bga
Wholesale (dbldistributing.com) pricing on Monster video cables:

THX 4ft.......................$11.99
Standard 1m..............$ 8.99
SV-2 1m.....................$14.99
SV-3 1m.....................$23.99

Don't have a price on the Z300, but if you can afford that, you probably don't need to be asking questions!