DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Speaker recommendations....

Old 11-15-02, 03:17 PM

Speaker recommendations....

I am running an onkyo 575 receiver, and Klipsch quintets rear surrounds. I have some cheap 3 way technics speakers MAINS that I plan to upgrade this month. Can you give me some recommendations for MAIN speakers that will work great for music and movies, and given that I can't have a sub (apt complex).....they should have decent bass response. i am trying to keep them under 500 bucks a set.......THANKS!

Last edited by Morrow373; 11-15-02 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-15-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

PSB Alpha A/Vs are great. Check 'em out.
Old 11-15-02, 04:51 PM

I have Missions and absolutely love them. Very warm sounding for music, great imaging and for movies they really replicate sounds nicely.
Old 11-15-02, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What are you using for center channel?

Do you want fronts and a center for 500? How do you feel about floorstanders?
Old 11-15-02, 07:00 PM

Check out www.fluance.com nice speakers after a good break-in period. And if you are patient you can pick them up on e-bay for less.

Last edited by aroney; 11-15-02 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-15-02, 07:03 PM
Premium Member

Do you like klipsch?

What about the Center? It might be best to get all three and keep them matched which can be done for you budget but you would have to compromise on bass (2 bookshelf and center)

Or get two tower fronts that match the center or at least have a simular sound balance.
Old 11-15-02, 07:27 PM

I have the Infinity RS set with the fronts, center and subwoofer in the set. They sound beautiful...had them for over 8 years now and they still sound awesome on my 100watt kenwood dolby receiver. no problems with infinity.
Old 11-15-02, 07:30 PM

you could pick up a pair of klipsch synergy towers and a center and stay in your budget, and then they would sort of match all the way around.

I have a pair of klipsch synergy towers, syngergy center, klipsch 12" sub and they sound great. I augmented these with a set of polk f/x 500 di-pole bi-pole surrounds, which was the finishing touch on an AWESOME sounding home theater system. I cant be more pleased with the sound these speakers provided with my onkyo 575tx receiver. Whenever I fire up a great movie in 5.1 or dts, the sound is simply awesome for the money spent. Shakes the house and is very clear and precise in sound field. not boomy, just tight as all get out, and the highs are crystal clear thanks to the horns on the klipsch speaker!

I know, it sounds like ad copy, but its true. quite a nice little setup.
Old 11-16-02, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I couldn't agree with wmunn more. Get matching speakers so that the sound is matched all the way around...I'm sure that would improve the audio right away, regardless of budget.
Old 11-16-02, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by SLOmade
I have the Infinity RS set with the fronts, center and subwoofer in the set. They sound beautiful...had them for over 8 years now and they still sound awesome on my 100watt kenwood dolby receiver. no problems with infinity.
I hear the designers are proud of those