DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Band of Brothers + Wharfedale Em 97 = speaker popping?

Old 11-15-02, 11:55 AM

Band of Brothers + Wharfedale Em 97 = speaker popping?

On Band of Brothers Disc 4: Episode 7: The Breaking Point, Chapter 3 (in DTS, of course), during the artillery scenes, one of my Wharfedale Emerald 97 Mk IV floorspeakers popped about 5 times during the audio barrages. My other main spkr didn't at al. It didn't break my speaker, but I just heard very noticable cracks, or pop sounds during some of the loud explosion scenes. This has never happened before and I'm not sure why it did. I'm sure this is a common problem when there is some kind of imbalance in a person's HT, but I've pushed my sound harder and louder than this in the past without any problems. After the popping, I paused the dvd and turned on the radio and my speaker sounded fine. Any suggestions? I've recently calibrated my HT with the R.S. spl meter and Ultimate DVD Silver (i kno...but i got it cheap) Here are my relevant system specs.

center: Wharfedale Modus Music Centre
mains: Wharfedale Emerald 97 Mk IV
rears: RCA Pro-LX55 dipole tweeter 2way spkrs
sub: Sony SA-WM40

rcvr: Yamaha HTR5240 (70W/channel) I only had the volume at 11 o clock!!
dvd: Panasonic DVD-RV30
**optical toslink interconnect, mains are biwired 12ga., center and rears are single wired 16ga.

Last edited by CuriousGeorge; 11-15-02 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-04-03, 04:45 PM

bump. Still wondering if I should continue to stress my Yamaha to its limits. I only get the pops when I blast my HT, so I assume its clipping. The Wharfedale Emerald 97s are bi-wired and A/B bi-amped from the Yamaha alone. The B-amps I believe are also the rear amps. Am I endangering my Wharfedales? The Wharfedale Emeralds are rated 89db sensitivity, 125 Watts, 8 ohm. Do they need more amp juice?