DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question about HD-DVD compatibility...

Old 11-13-02, 11:01 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Question about HD-DVD compatibility...

Just read over at dvdfile that the dvd Forum has given the go ahead to the Toshiba/NEC spec for HD-DVD (which will likely get into an initial format war with the Blu_ray spec).

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...002/11_13.html

Part of the Toshiba/NEC spec stipulates that it will be backwards compatible, which I assume to mean that plain jane DVD discs will be playable on the new HD-DVD players.

My question is this, would it include the capability for an HD-DVD disc to be played on existing players? Now before you say no way, I mean the following:

Take DVD-Audio discs as an example. Yes, you need a player capable of resolving the hi-res stream to get that playback capability. However, all DVD-A discs also have a 5.1 track included. So, given that the Toshiba/NEC HD-DVD spec has disc capacity at 40GB, could they not put on an additional "track" that would allow an actual HD disc to be played on current DVD players?

Yes, it would take away from the HD-DVD bitbucket, but since current DVD can only hold about 4.7 GB, they could probably make the room without sacrificing too much, maybe some HD extras, etc....Maybe we'll end up with HD Superbit. One disc has the movie and some extras in HD and the second disc has a DVD capable version.

Just being curious.
Old 11-13-02, 11:04 AM
Premium Member

No, the blu_ray holds over 4 hours HD. and the Tosh/nec only holds about two hours and is expected to have some compression. One of this months mags ahs a story about all this. I think it is Stereophiles guide to home theater.
Old 11-13-02, 11:09 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks. So based on your response, do we "want" blue-ray since it holds more, even though it may not be backwards compatible......
Old 11-13-02, 11:58 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ooops, and I just saw this over at the digital bits:

Interesting. So I received an e-mail early this morning from an official with the DVD Forum in Japan, letting me know that the story reported in the Japan Times last week is in error. The Forum is not adopting the Toshiba/NEC spec proposal as the final HD-DVD format spec. What's actually happening is that they're crafting a new spec, built on the blue laser concept, that's based on the various spec proposals they've received. So the final spec could incorporate aspects of each of them. The question is, how much of the Toshiba/NEC proposal is being adopted as opposed to how much of the Sony BluRay proposal is being accepted... and is it enough of a compromise on both sides to keep the Sony group from walking and launching BluRay on their own. Maybe it's time to stress once more how important it is for the industry to adopt a SINGLE format for HD-DVD supported by ALL of the industry players.
Old 11-13-02, 02:02 PM
Banned

Hmm... interesting post considering all the talk recently of the acceptance of the Toshiba/NEC format. I'm glad to see that they are working a new format out to make everyone happy so that I don't have to buy 3 different players.
Old 11-13-02, 03:21 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess my only concern about the blending of standards proposed to date, is will we get true 1080i output? What's the point of having "HD-DVD" if it is not done in 1080i, right?

And if they go with the part of the standard that calls for only about 2 hours of video, what will this do to price for any movie that is longer than 2hours, when a second disc would be needed (unless of course there will be dual layer HD-DVDs, which I assume is a possibility).

I just hope that whatever the final spec is, that it provides for the best A/V possible.
Old 11-14-02, 09:22 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

I think they shouldn't make them backwards compatible in that you can use a Hd-dvd in a dvd player people should have to upgrade to a hd-dvd player, but it better be at least 28.2 megabits per second or better or most enthusiasts will stick with DVHS
Old 11-14-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would rather have to buy a new player that would play both DVD and HD-DVD.

I don't want to risk compromising HD-DVD's quality by shoehorning in backwards compatibility.
Old 11-15-02, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JLB
I guess my only concern about the blending of standards proposed to date, is will we get true 1080i output? What's the point of having "HD-DVD" if it is not done in 1080i, right?
I'd rather wait for 1080p. 'True' HD indeed.