DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Best consumer DVD player under $200? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/250358-best-consumer-dvd-player-under-%24200.html)

AntonioR 11-12-02 03:41 PM

Best consumer DVD player under $200?

What is the best consumer player under $200? I don't need progressive scan, it needs to play DVD-R's, and my surround set up is pro-logic. What do you recommend?

DavidH 11-12-02 11:05 PM

I would have to recommend the Panasonic RV31. I believe it can be shipped for $100.00 for Amazon.

Panasonic is known to have the best, overall downconversion; picture not too soft, nor too many jaggies. Color rendition is good, as well. I have one in my bedroom and have been happy with it.

One thing worth noting: the remote control is terrible as far as button layout, etc. but I find this minor compared to the benefits.

It is supposed to play DVD-R, but I did have a problem with the one I tried. Maybe you can find more info. about this.

tonyj 11-13-02 08:37 AM

I got the Tos 4800 w/progressive scan & SACD for $179 at Best Buy. It's normally $199. Great player. Panny 62 is great for about the same, but doesn't have SACD.

HomerJay 11-14-02 01:48 AM

I'm Mike_AA who keeps coming back even though I'm banned. And that's really stupid because the moderators know who I am at UC Davis and are ready to contact the administration. I didn't want to graduate anyway.

kenny79 11-14-02 03:37 AM

I'm always a big fan of low-end Sonys -- they play every format (DVD-R, CD-R, MP3, etc.), and I've never run across a studio DVD that they won't play.

nekobus 11-14-02 08:22 AM

Panasonic RP-82. It's around $200 and has the higher end mpeg decoder from the RP-91, which helps it have a nice, smooth picture even on interlaced sets.

It plays DVD-A and has a built-in DTS/DD decoder (you can even enjoy DTS titles on your system). It also plays DVD-R fine without any problems.

lordzeppelin 11-16-02 01:37 AM

Originally posted by nekobus
It plays DVD-A and has a built-in DTS/DD recorder
NICE - So I can record myself in DTS and play it over and over... ;)

nekobus 11-16-02 12:33 PM

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
NICE - So I can record myself in DTS and play it over and over... ;)
Only if you can fit yourself into the tray. -wink-

This will teach me not to post when I don't have enough coffee in my system. -smile-

Kromax 11-18-02 07:42 AM

Originally posted by nekobus
Panasonic RP-82. It's around $200 and has the higher end mpeg decoder from the RP-91, which helps it have a nice, smooth picture even on interlaced sets.

It plays DVD-A and has a built-in DTS/DD decoder (you can even enjoy DTS titles on your system). It also plays DVD-R fine without any problems.

Consider this another vote for the RP-82.