Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Extended Warranty for purchase of Mitsu WS-65819 Question

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-12-02, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

want to purchase my first RPTV, i feel a little pressured because a local store here has the Mitsubishi WS-65819 for sale at $2299 only through today, and it seems like a good deal on last year's model. I've read all about the red shift and tweaking and the like, and think that I can deal w/ that. Mainly in it for the dvd watching...

My main concern is, this store charges $379 for their extended 5 year warranty, which i think is outrageous. However I don't really want to purchase less time.

I have seen offers on the web to purchase extended warranties for stuff you bought elsewhere, one company was offering Warrantech's RepairMaster warranty for 5 years (4 really) for $150. Has anyone ever done this?

Bottom line: the price is great for the 65819, but the warranty seems a bit higher, and after tax delivery etc it comes to about 2900. I don't know how much tweaking I will be able to do on my own, so if it doesn't look great out of the box i will probably have to pay soemone to calibrate it (another hundred or so, i assume?)

Any opinions?
Old 11-12-02, 04:47 PM

Well,

I'll tell you this... you could haggle it below 300 and at that point i think its worth it.

Even if you change your mind and not get it, Mitsubishi offers extended warranty when your first year runs out.
Old 11-12-02, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

mitsu offers their own extended warranty? Do they contact you when the year is nearing its end w/ an offer - if so do you know how it compares in price?

What about in general -- do you think 2299 is as low as this tv is going to get? It seems like over the last two months the average price for 65" tvs has plummeted. I wonder if this is a trend, or just an end of the year old model clearout phenomenon?
Old 11-12-02, 06:48 PM
Banned

I think that is a really good price on the 65". I have yet to have a problem with the Mits, and even though some may complain about the colors, I only had to do a bit of readjustment to meet my own personal preferences. Dive in brother.
Old 11-12-02, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, with all the posts here and at the spot about tweaking the colors on mits i wonder if i would even notice the red push, and these folks are just really really particular...

after all, i've been using a 36 inch tv that turns on and off constantly by itself for the last 5 months! Sometimes this happens 15 times a movie, and I have to jiggle the back of it to get it to work again. Anything that stays on will be heaven to me!

Well, since the sale ends in a couple hours I think I will see if i can get the tv, then delay the warranty decision a couple days or see if i can talk them down. I doubt they will budge though -- it is Fry's Electronics, a place not know for haggling that I am aware.
Old 11-12-02, 08:09 PM

You can try calling the Mitsubishi Tech Support for a quote.

I think you get some minor advantages with verndor extended warranties. Such as annual cleaning and in home service.

I dunno if mits DOESN"T offer that, but give them a call.

Good luck with your mits.