DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Should 6.1 audio be avoided with 5 speakers?

Old 11-12-02, 02:33 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gorgoroth, Massachusetts
Posts: 602
Should 6.1 audio be avoided with 5 speakers?

I'm fairly new to surround sound and I'm specifically wondering how I want to listen to Fellowship of the Ring when I watch it tomorrow night. Since I only have 5 speakers should I only choose the Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround? Or is it possible the DTS 6.1 track could sound better on my system even if I'm short one speaker? (Or to put it another way: Does the information that 's supposed to go to the back surround get lost, or is it diverted to the left and right surrounds?)

Any wisdom would be appreciated.
Jnuke is offline  
Old 11-12-02, 02:57 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,154
Re: Should 6.1 audio be avoided with 5 speakers?

Originally posted by Jnuke
Or is it possible the DTS 6.1 track could sound better on my system even if I'm short one speaker? (Or to put it another way: Does the information that 's supposed to go to the back surround get lost, or is it diverted to the left and right surrounds?)
The information that is supposed to go to the center speaker will be diverted to your other surrounds. You will not lose any sound information.
Josh Z is offline  
Old 11-12-02, 04:56 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gorgoroth, Massachusetts
Posts: 602
Re: Re: Should 6.1 audio be avoided with 5 speakers?

Originally posted by Josh Z
The information that is supposed to go to the center speaker will be diverted to your other surrounds. You will not lose any sound information.
Cool, thanks!
Jnuke is offline  
Old 11-13-02, 04:42 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: carmichael, CA, USA
Posts: 402
I have to admit all these 5.1 ex and dts es tracks make me want a rear center channel and a new receiver. stupid budget.
BernieStolar is offline  
Old 11-13-02, 06:51 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 844
How about when listening through headphones? Which audio track should be selected. Dolby 2.0, Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS? Do you lose anything by selecting a certain track?
wordtoyamotha is offline  
Old 11-13-02, 08:19 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Mole177's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Glendale, Ca
Posts: 4,376
Originally posted by wordtoyamotha
How about when listening through headphones? Which audio track should be selected. Dolby 2.0, Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS? Do you lose anything by selecting a certain track?
if you're going to be using headphones. go with 2.0, unless you have alien(green dude) stuff, no one makes true 5.1 headphones, not yet at least, or not that i know of
Mole177 is offline  
Old 11-13-02, 10:54 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The chair at the top of the stairs..
Posts: 855
These Sony MDR-DS5100 are looking pretty close, can't wait to try out a pair..
PhYbEr is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.