Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How many have actually experienced burn in?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-10-02, 11:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep hearing about the risks of burn in on RPTVs, which makes me really nervous for my TV. I like to do two things that risk burn in: video games and watch tv shows in their proper 4:3 format. I have cut down my time on these two activities after hearing so much about burn in. Yet I have never seen anyone on these forums say that they actually experienced burn in on their tv.

Has anyone here actually got burn in on their RPTV? If so, describe the events that caused it.

PS- I did a search on the forum and couldn't find a thread asking about others' experiences with burn in.
Old 11-11-02, 12:06 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: How many have actually experienced burn in?

Originally posted by William Wallace
PS- I did a search on the forum and couldn't find a thread asking about others' experiences with burn in.
The stream of consciousness from this thread is interesting though.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=249841

Burn-in is not caused by the intensity of the brightness. It is caused by long-term differences in brightness between different parts of the picture. If you always had your brightness and contrast turned up, but you varied the picture material, you would not get burn-in, you would just get tubes that had a shorter lifespan or prematurely burned out tubes. Higher brightness, and especially contrast, speed up the burn-in of static images on the screen.

In the other thread where you thought grey bars would cause more burn-in, you were incorrect. The grey is there to minimize the difference between the average brightness/contrast of the actual 4:3 picture and the bars.

Stare at some black and white block letters for about 5 minutes. Then look away at a white ceiling. You will have temporarily burned-in that image into your retinas. Then stare at a light piece of paper for 5 minutes and look away again. No burn-in. RPTV burn-in just isn't that temporary.
Old 11-11-02, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Has anyone here actually got burn in on their RPTV? If so, describe the events that caused it
I have seen RPTV's with this, yes it can happen.
Old 11-11-02, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: Re: How many have actually experienced burn in?

Originally posted by X
Stare at some black and white block letters for about 5 minutes. Then look away at a white ceiling. You will have temporarily burned-in that image into your retinas.
To that end, video games can be problematic for RPTVs because, 1) they tend to have fixed graphics in certain portions of the screen like a score or life meter, and 2) by their nature people tend to play them for hours on end without changing the content.
Old 11-11-02, 11:49 AM

Burnt out crts

I have seen it often in front projection models. Takes thousands of hours to do it, though.
Old 11-11-02, 05:10 PM

yeah, the main reason burn-ins happen is accidentaly leaving your tv on when you leave, this is the quickest way to burn in a fixed image, not to mention wear out your projection.
Old 11-11-02, 07:11 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

is burn in easier to get on a plamsa than a rptv.