DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Best Buy and Monster Cables

Old 11-10-02, 02:16 PM
Banned

Best Buy and Monster Cables

Does Best Buy have some kind of partnership with Monster Cables INC? I felt compelled to ask this question after a few BB employees have tried to rip me off. This is a serious question.
Old 11-10-02, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I doubt it.....

How have they tried to rip you off?
Old 11-10-02, 05:13 PM
Banned

They keep telling me how much "better" monster cables are than everything else out there. They try to sell me these expensive $70 ones, telling me that they make a "world's difference" compared to the Radio Shack Gold Series ones.
Old 11-10-02, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by William Wallace
They keep telling me how much "better" monster cables are than everything else out there. They try to sell me these expensive $70 ones, telling me that they make a "world's difference" compared to the Radio Shack Gold Series ones.
IMO....the monster cables are better but I am sure you will be happy with the Radio Shack cables. Onecall.com was trying to sell me audioquest component cables for $100.00....I chose the Monster component cables for $40.00 which I felt was more than reasonable. What type of cables were they trying to sell for $70.00??? Component...S-Video...???
Old 11-10-02, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

audioquest walks all over monster cable...hence the price jump.
Old 11-10-02, 08:10 PM
Banned

monster video component cables for $70
Old 11-10-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by discostu1337
That's a pretty bold statement to say the least. And since I'm sure you wouldn't make such a statement without comparing the two for yourself, how about sharing the particulars and how you came about your opinion. Thanks.
Old 11-10-02, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I seriously doubt it....any differences in quality would most likely only be measurable with equipment.
Old 11-10-02, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are monster cables in the $70.00-$100.00 price range....
Old 11-11-02, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are monster cables in the 1k price range as well. They make cables for every budget. Is there a noticeable differnce in cale quality to some yes, if your not one of those people just don't buy them.
Old 11-11-02, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Best Buy and Monster Cables

Does Best Buy have some kind of partnership with Monster Cables INC?
Partnership? I doubt it. However, it is very likely a salesrep from Monster visits the stores and hypes the product to the salesguys while dishing out pizza. It's all hype.

And if there's one thing you should learn from this forum, it's "don't believe anything the Best Buy sales drone tells you without verifying it yourself"
Old 11-11-02, 11:25 PM
0ne

speaking as a former employee, yes Best Buy and Monster have a partnership, they send out employees to special monster cable training sessions, stores that sell more monster cables than other stores get incentives, managers get bonuses, vacations, employees get free cables.
As to the quality, their cables are of a good build, but for almost all cases you wont notice any difference in the quality of a monster cable over a cheaper, shielded gold plated cable (RShack or AcouReasearch are good ones). Their power centers are outstanding if you your home theater is large enough to merit one though.
Old 11-13-02, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by 0ne
speaking as a former employee, yes Best Buy and Monster have a partnership, they send out employees to special monster cable training sessions, stores that sell more monster cables than other stores get incentives, managers get bonuses, vacations, employees get free cables.
As to the quality, their cables are of a good build, but for almost all cases you wont notice any difference in the quality of a monster cable over a cheaper, shielded gold plated cable (RShack or AcouReasearch are good ones). Their power centers are outstanding if you your home theater is large enough to merit one though.
I am not a big fan of monster cables... a few years back I knew some anime fansubbers and the only cables that ever broke on them where moster cables... how the hell does a cable break? (I am not talking about optical)
Old 11-13-02, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by hypeiv
I am not a big fan of monster cables... a few years back I knew some anime fansubbers and the only cables that ever broke on them where moster cables... how the hell does a cable break? (I am not talking about optical)
every try and pull a monster cable off of the back of a receiever

some of them seem to stick like crazy glue. I once just gave a cable away to a friend when i was giving them a receiver I had since I thoguht i was either going to pull out the actual connection out of the back of the receiver or pull the wire out of the cable
Old 11-13-02, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gcribbs
every try and pull a monster cable off of the back of a receiever

some of them seem to stick like crazy glue. I once just gave a cable away to a friend when i was giving them a receiver I had since I thoguht i was either going to pull out the actual connection out of the back of the receiver or pull the wire out of the cable

I wish I had that problem!

The Monster S-Video cable I stupidly bought about 3 years ago is so damn heavy and the connections are so bad that it falls out or loosens up and I need to constantly check it

I did have a problem with my Kimber PBJ though, pulled the metal cap right off the back of my vcr connetion, that sucked but it still works.

The best cables I have right now are from www.cobaltcable.com Well sheilded, well made, resonably priced and they look and sound great. Once I get the funds up I am replacing all my cables with them

Last edited by jumbojp; 11-13-02 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-13-02, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by 0ne
Every Monster cable retailer gets this from Monster, nothing special about BB for sure.

To remove a turbine cut connector you need to twist it. They are designed so they do not pull straight out.
Old 11-13-02, 11:10 AM
Premium Member

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
Every Monster cable retailer gets this from Monster, nothing special about BB for sure.

To remove a turbine cut connector you need to twist it. They are designed so they do not pull straight out.
Yeap, plus they might have better margin for teh dealers.
Old 11-13-02, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

they advertise to make the cash.
Old 11-16-02, 12:14 PM
Cool New Member

Speaking also as a former employee, monster cable also has the highest markup - this is true in all the major electronic chains, though everyone at Best Buy is non-comissioned they do have pressure for the dept. to make numbers at the end of the month...hence the push for sale of monster cable.....
Old 11-17-02, 01:26 AM

They tried to sell me a surge protector that "cleans the power so your picture quality is better." What a load of s***. As long as my TV doesn't blow up, I'm happy. Monster designs their surge protectors to look all high tech with fancy colors and futuristic design, but I sincerely doubt power can be "cleaned," let alone affect the performance of my components.
Old 11-17-02, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BernieStolar
They tried to sell me a surge protector that "cleans the power so your picture quality is better." What a load of s***. As long as my TV doesn't blow up, I'm happy. Monster designs their surge protectors to look all high tech with fancy colors and futuristic design, but I sincerely doubt power can be "cleaned," let alone affect the performance of my components.
Bernie, there's nothing wrong with opinions, we all got 'em, but please do some research (or at least take a passing glance at some literature) on the subject before totally denouncing it. It'll give you a tad more credibility and not look so much like someone talking out of their arse about something they know absolutely nothing about.
Cheers.
Old 11-17-02, 08:50 PM
Banned

Bernie, there's nothing wrong with opinions, we all got 'em, but please do some research (or at least take a passing glance at some literature) on the subject before totally denouncing it. It'll give you a tad more credibility and not look so much like someone talking out of their arse about something they know absolutely nothing about.
And maybe you could actually be helpful and explain why he knows "absolutely nothing" about it?

Last edited by William Wallace; 11-17-02 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-17-02, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And maybe you could actually be helpful and explain why is knows "absolutely nothing" about it?
Maybe these will be of help:
http://www.pq.goeke.net/20000206_2stray.html
http://www.toxicelectricity.com/Pages/Electrical.htm
http://www.strayvoltage.org/stories/

A longer than 5 minute search like mine will likely yield more and better results.
Old 11-17-02, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama
Cheers.
I suppose clean power is an issue. I just don't think it's worth the money for a modest system like mine. And thank you William Wallace for making sure dvd-o-rama has to back up his comments too.

Last edited by BernieStolar; 11-17-02 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-18-02, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by BernieStolar
I suppose clean power is an issue. I just don't think it's worth the money for a modest system like mine. And thank you William Wallace for making sure dvd-o-rama has to back up his comments too.
You'd be surprised. I added an inexpensive ($80) line conditioner to my mid-low line system over the weekend. It made a world of difference in the background noise floor. I had been noticing a bit of EM and RF interference through my center channel in 5 channel listening modes. Put in the line conditioner, and voila: the noise is gone.

I was a little skeptical before, but now, I'm sold.

When it's time to upgrade systems, I'll definitely be upgrading the power filtering components as well.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.