Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Does Best Buy have decent enough speakers?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Does Best Buy have decent enough speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-02, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Brian, strictly a personal impression from the few models which we have tested (all old stuff) and the 2 times I have listened to the new 801's. Clearly they are the market leader for a good reason and they have excellent engineers and product.
Agreed. Now if only I had the room.
Old 11-19-02, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by Master J
They carry the JBL Studio series which have received many great reviews. I own Studio series all around and in my opinion these speakers cannot be beat for the money. That being said, I would still avoid Best Buy because even with %10 off you can buy these speakers cheaper online from authorized dealers (J and R, etc.).

J
I agree with this. I got this JBL center channel speaker here and have absolutely LOVED it (though I, as noted above, found it cheaper elsewhere).
Old 11-20-02, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by uteotw
I agree with this. I got this JBL center channel speaker here and have absolutely LOVED it (though I, as noted above, found it cheaper elsewhere).
Would you be willing to share where you got it from? Only if it is online tho I don't feel like driving to Nevada this weekend
Old 11-21-02, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've had my JBL S-310II's for a couple of months now, and they are wonderful. I'm haering things in my music I never knew existed. And you don't need a separate sub with them either.

I got them new online for about $550 shipped or so. They are like $800 or something at Best Buy, so shop around online.
Old 11-21-02, 10:05 AM

Like I stated before. It just depends on a persons taste. Best Buy does not carry any of my equipment, so I could not go there, but if they did, I would have taken a look. Most of there stuff is considered "entry level", but people should pick what they like the sound of, not whether it is entry level or not.
Old 11-21-02, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JBabbitt
Like I stated before. It just depends on a persons taste. Best Buy does not carry any of my equipment, so I could not go there, but if they did, I would have taken a look. Most of there stuff is considered "entry level", but people should pick what they like the sound of, not whether it is entry level or not.

In this example I must strongly disagree.

I have never seen a "Best" Buy store that would allow anyone to properly evaluate an audio loudspeaker period. There is no way here to "pick what they like the sound of".

They do not have the ability to demonstrate their equipment and rely on the impulse buyers to walk out with their boxes.
Old 11-21-02, 01:03 PM
Cool New Member

I have never seen a "Best" Buy store that would allow anyone to properly evaluate an audio loudspeaker period. There is no way here to "pick what they like the sound of".
If you don't like the sound of them when you get them home, it's easy to take them back. Compare that to not liking a set bought on the web and then having to go through the hassle of returning them that way.

The higher end speakers work the same way, but only if you have a local dealer. Those can be few and far between from what I understand
Old 11-21-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you don't like the sound of them when you get them home, it's easy to take them back
True enough although that is time and effort for the customer. Retailers know this and know most wont bring them back.
Old 11-21-02, 01:57 PM
Premium Member

The plus side of the bestbuys set up is you know that you are listening in a controled situ. The electonics are not exposed to the customer so the set up is not messed. Up. I can not tell you how many times I have see products displayed with incorrect settings.
Old 11-21-02, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bfrank
The plus side of the bestbuys set up is you know that you are listening in a controled situ. The electonics are not exposed to the customer so the set up is not messed. Up. I can not tell you how many times I have see products displayed with incorrect settings.
Again I strongly disagree and I am suprised to see you of all people bfrank say this.

The "Best" Buys stores I have been to use their "demonstration" area as a psuedo stock area. All of the demos are running at the same time. You have no way to a/b speakers from two different manufactures against each other. You have no way to provide your own demo material. You have no way to verify that whatever setup has been done is correct because the equipment is locked up.

It is a shame what people will settle for and what people will accept all under the guise of price.
Old 11-21-02, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by teddydogg
Would you be willing to share where you got it from? Only if it is online tho I don't feel like driving to Nevada this weekend
Sure: Right here

P.S. What's wrong with Nevada? I actually just moved here FROM MN! It's a nice 27-hour drive...!
Old 11-21-02, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by uteotw
Sure: Right here

P.S. What's wrong with Nevada? I actually just moved here FROM MN! It's a nice 27-hour drive...!
Nothing wrong but that would kill my entire weekend!

Must be nice we just got our first coating of snow today!

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-21-02, 04:59 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
Again I strongly disagree and I am suprised to see you of all people bfrank say this.

The "Best" Buys stores I have been to use their "demonstration" area as a psuedo stock area. All of the demos are running at the same time. You have no way to a/b speakers from two different manufactures against each other. You have no way to provide your own demo material. You have no way to verify that whatever setup has been done is correct because the equipment is locked up.

It is a shame what people will settle for and what people will accept all under the guise of price.
Now that I reread that you are totally right. I forgot that you cant turn off the other music you can only turn it down. Also without material you know what is the point. I was just think about people messing stuff up as a big problem so I posted that. It sucks to be a customer for our products with the rush to mass marketers and the demand for lower price point and bigger margins the job for the customer is getting harder and harder

I understand that BB's are planning some changes for next year. We will need to wait and see.

Last edited by bfrank; 11-21-02 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-25-02, 12:34 AM

Check out the JBL S38 II at Best Buy. Those are the best speakers they sell in the entire store, IMHO. Pair them with the S36 II for the rear, the S-center 1 for the center, a decent sub, and a yamaha htr-55xx series reciever, and you have a more than adequate home theatre system.

edit: You can get those same speakers much cheaper elseware than at Best Buy, but If you want to get everything from BB, then I believe that is the best home theatre you can construct Best Buy.

Last edited by llzackll; 11-25-02 at 12:45 AM.