DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Installation of dual LNB dish?

Old 11-05-02, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Installation of dual LNB dish?

I'm two weeks away from having an installer come and hook me up for Directivo. The special I got includes free installation for one cable through ONE wall (exterior to interior). This intallation is for a new house and there is already one cable running from where the dish will go to where my TV will go. Am I correct in thinking I need two cables to run from a dual LNB dish to a Directivo in order to record in the full capacity (dual mode)?

My den is on the other side of the house where the dish is going to have to go. The dish will go right outside my garage. The contract says that wall fishing will cost $45 an hour and I have no clue how fast an installer can do this. I wonder if I should just have the guy run the cable through the garage wall and tack the cable around the crevice of the wall/ceiling and then through another wall to the TV? Sounds confusing, but I guess I hadn't thought about the extra cost of a 2nd line after construction of the house.

What's the point of my post? Well, is wall fishing a difficult task and are two cables needed for Directivo?
Old 11-05-02, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
if it's a dual tuner unit, and it works like Sony's satt60 it will need two cables from the dish
Old 11-05-02, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wall fishing is probably more difficult than just tacking it on to the outside of the house and drilling one hole in your denwall. I wouldn't do the wallfishing unless you absolutely had to. And you do need two cables for Directivo dualtuner units.
Old 11-05-02, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do you need two wires for it to work or can you get away with using one and lose some functionality?
Old 11-05-02, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I pretty much got the Tivo so I can record shows while watching something different... and record two shows at once.
That can't be done with Dish's PVRs and I could have gotten one of those for free. Just hope the installer has done this a bunch of times.
Old 11-06-02, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by atlantamoi
Yeah, I pretty much got the Tivo so I can record shows while watching something different... and record two shows at once.
That can't be done with Dish's PVRs and I could have gotten one of those for free. Just hope the installer has done this a bunch of times.
You are wrong about Dish. The Dish 721 does indeed do what you describe above (record 2 different shows at once or watch one/record another).
Old 11-08-02, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But isn't the 721 a lot more expensive to use than a Directivo? (at least the $99 offer I signed up for)
Old 11-14-02, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

am,

i got the sony sat-t60 (the directivo unit) and love it so far.

i don't have the second cable installed yet, so i just have the basic recording funcionality. for $199 installed (the second line will need installed), it's a fantastic deal. compliments my dual lnb elliptical dish and 2 other receivers very well.

cranky.
Old 11-14-02, 03:37 PM

I have the philips directv tivo unit in the bedroom, and love it. When they have a tivo/hdtv receiver, i will put it in the theater.
Old 11-14-02, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by atlantamoi
But isn't the 721 a lot more expensive to use than a Directivo? (at least the $99 offer I signed up for)
I don't know the price comparison but even if the 721 is more expensive it doesn't mean it doesn't exist as you had said in the earlier lost.
Old 11-14-02, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by crankyman
i got the sony sat-t60 (the directivo unit) and love it so far.
Cranky:

I've got a REALLY OLD Directv unit (I think it's a Magnavox) and was thinking of upgrading the reciever to include TiVo. I also want to ensure that the reciever can output 5.1 audio to my surround setup.

I can't seem to find specs on the T60 to confirm that it has digital audio output. I don't care if the output is coax or optical, my setup can take either, but I want to know for sure that it's there.

At orbitsatellite.com, I got the following image of the backside of a Sony SAT-T60D: Photo Link

It's the D on the model # that's confusing me. On the photo, there's an optical digital audio output, and the label in the upper left corner (under the Sony brandmark) says "Model: SAT-T60", so I'm presuming that this is, in fact, NOT the D model. Can you confirm that this is what the backside of your unit looks like, and that this is the unit that DirecTV is offering for $199?

Thanks a million!
Old 11-15-02, 02:16 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Ken it should be one and the same, my philips directivo has the same outputs on the back, and I get glorious 5.1 on HBO