Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for opinions on the Toshiba Portable SD-P2000 dvd player

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-05-02, 09:19 AM

I've been researching portable dvd players for a little while.
I'm looking to get one in about 2 weeks.
I've decided on the toshiba SD-P2000 dvd player.
I wanted to ask anyone here who has it to give me their opinion on it.... good or bad please.

and if anyone has a better player please tell.

I'm able to find this dvd player selling for around $670 last i checked.

that is about as high as i'm looking to spend.

thanks all
jalil

Edit: Well just found the toshiba sdp2000 for 600 cheapest price, but i also noticed that Samsung's DVD-L100 is now down to 647

http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/portabl...nt/SDP2000.html
http://www.samsungelectronics.com/d...able/index.html
Old 11-05-02, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My sister has the Toshiba. The screen is good sized and the picture looked pretty good to me, though I didn't compare it directly to any other units. The battery life was decent and the controls were fairly easy to figure out without reading the manual. The only weakness I recall was that, by default, the sound from the built-in speakers was way too quiet. After playing with the sound settings (I think I turned on dynamic noise compression), it got much better but still would be drowned out in a somewhat noisy room.

If you're going to be using it with headphones, then obviously that won't be a problem. Also, my sister's kids use it a lot to watch kids' videos in the car, so it's been dropped a few times. Still works fine, though.
Old 11-05-02, 06:41 PM

I bought the Toshiba after looking at many different players. In my opinion, it has the best picture of all the portables. I have used it on road trips in our van, and my kids use it a lot as a second player hooked up through a t.v. in their playroom. I can't think of any faults, as I have never experienced any problems with it. Some have complained about the battery being bulky, but to me it just acts as a base and makes the player sturdier. I like the picture quality better than the Panasonic, and even though Samsung has a player with a 10" screen I think the Samsung is too big of an overall player. The sound without headphones isn't too great, but I think that is true with all or most portables. With headphones, the sound is excellent.
Old 11-06-02, 09:36 AM

thanks for the info guys,
i do agree with you plum about the samsung, though it is thinner, it is a big unit.
The toshiba does seem to be more portable on this end..
also for me, i don't really have much experience with the samsung brand, more with the toshiba..

Anyone out there have the samsung unit?
Old 11-06-02, 02:05 PM

FWIW I have also been researching portable dvd players and have found the Toshiba p2000 to have the best feedback. Most reviews I've found say the Samsung is bigger, but the picture looks better on the Toshiba.

Also, a huge drawback to the Samsung has been the inability to play 4X3 and non-anamorphic discs at the proper setting. Apparently the L100 stretches every dvd image to fit the entire screen
Old 11-06-02, 03:20 PM
Uber Member

I have the Samsund DVD L100 portable player, and I love it.

This thing is very thin, even with the battery attached, as well as light, so I've found it very easy to carry around with me. I've mostly been using it while sitting in my car waiting for my wife to finish some shopping (we had our little dog with us, so we couldn't all go in.) But I've also used it while waiting for an oil change, and just yesterday, I took it on an interisland flight to the Big Island (I live in Honolulu), and used it in flight.

The screen is very large, so there's no problem seeing everything, and it would be easy for 2 or even 3 people to watch this while sitting together on a plane.

Audio is much better than what I thought it would be. The speakers are a little tinny, but have been adequate for what I've used it for so far. The headphone jacks were also loud enough (just barely) for plane travel without a volume enhancer, though it was much easier to hear when I did use a volume enhancer (probably would have been better if I'd been using ear bud head phones too). I believe I turned on some kind of internal audio enhancer (3d sound), so that may have helped.

The unit comes with a case. I'm able to slide headphones, the remote and an extra DVD in a jewel case inside this case, but it would have been nice if it had a handle and strap, as well as some extra pockets for the power and a/v cables and more DVDs.

The remote is small with a so-so button lay out. It's as long as a credit card, but not as wide, and about as thick as 3 or 4 stacked pennies. You need the remote to access the player's setup menu, which is unfortunate. Also, the remote starts to get a little dodgy if you're more than 8 ft away and not aiming straight at the receiver (this is only important when using it in conjuction with a TV). It has both FFWD/FRWD and Skip FWD and Skip Back buttons, which is nice. No number pad though. Also, to manually turn off the LCD display (audio will still work) you need the remote (it will turn off the display if you close the lid too).

It also comes with audio cables, and a video cable that can connect to a composite or S-video in on a TV or other display devide. It outputs a 16x9 signal, but not a component one. It needs an optical cable with a mini optical adaptor to output both DD and DTS sound. (PartsExpress.com has the adaptor here and a cable with the adaptor can be found at etronics.com here.) The included power cables consist of a power cord with a proprietary plug for the adapter, which looks like an oval that's flat on it's long sides, and is 3/4 of an inch thick. The cable from the adapter that plugs into the player neatly wraps into a groove in the side of the adapter, making it very easy to carry around. The power cable's kind of bulky though.

There's supposed to be an extended life battery (5 hours) coming out , though it's not available yet (I just called and they said maybe next week) (5/8/03 called again and they said it's not going to happen -David). There's also a car/airplane adapter that just came out; cost is about $90.

The battery it does come with will last for a little over 2 hours, and takes about 4 hours to fully charge. It's a lithium-ion battery and will cost about $158 to replace (or to get a second one). It doesn't charge when the unit is in use. The battery indicator is an icon on the screen in the shape of a battery with 3 bars. It shows the battery status when you first turn it on, and then displays only when a bar gets used up. Once all the bars are gone, the battery flashes continuously (and a little irritatingly) until the unit turns off. This can be another good 10-20 minutes though. I don't believe there's anyway to tell how much battery life is left without turning it on and off, but I haven't really tried to find out.

The bottom of the unit gets hot, but not alarmingly so. Play is pretty quiet except for a fairly quiet, intermittent clicking noise from the laser. Not really noticeable unless you're in a really quiet room. It takes about 30 seconds from hitting the power button to seeing the DVD start playing...which has started to seems a little long to me, but just a little. I will say that knowing you're on a battery, really makes you hate those nonskippable FBI warning screens even more.

Which brings me to the units first real flaw...lack of memory settings. It does not remember where you were when you turned off the unit. It will if you just hit the stop button, but as soon as you power off, you have to go through all the start up screens and then find your way back to whereever you were in the movie. Even the bookmark settings are lost when the power is turned off. Given the nature of watching movies on a portable unit (a few minutes here, a few minutes there) this is a little irritating. Certainly something I can live with, but it bugs me.

The unit itself has play/stop/pause buttons, and combo FFW/Skip buttons (hit once for skip, hold down for 2+ seconds for FFW or RWD). It also has a menu button that brings up the DVD's menu screen, and the directional up/down/left/right and enter keys for DVD menu navigation. It also has a button that will flip the display so that it's upside down. The purpose of this is so you can mount it to the top of your vehicle so the kids (or whoever) can watch while sitting in the back seat. Not very useful for most, I imagine, but it's a really neat trick to show off the unit.

There's also a "Display" button, that pretty much shows the basic information...title/chapter/subtiles/audio track/time. But this display is interactive. you can use it to change the title/chapter you are watching. You can use it to jump to a particular time (using the up and down keys each number slot scrolls from 0-9). You can change your subtitle and audio track selections as well (if the DVD supports it). The movie has to be playing for this to work. Also, the time display doesn't show how much time is remaining, which can be a little frustrating when you don't know how long the movie is.

The display is both the best part, and one of the biggest caveats to this player. It really is a beautiful screen. 10" and a great picture. However, it's a 16x9 screen, and a 16x9 screen only. Any 4:3 or non anamorphic material gets streched out to fill up the screen. I've watched some TV material (Mad About You DVDs) and it's bearable, but if you're really familiar with an image, it's always a bit distracting (Helen Hunt isn't as pretty when her face is squashed a bit ). Most DVDs are 16x9 though, but it does mean that most pre 1953 (I forget the exact date) material and TV fare won't display properly. If you output the video to another TV, you can set the output to 4:3 letterbox and it will display properly then.

You can also input a composite video source (like a camcorder) to watch on the display, but I haven't tried this yet as I don't own a camcorder.

Finally, this unit also accepts memory stick type static memory cards. It can display .jpg pictures and play .mp3 audio tracks (and shows track information). The picture interface allows you to create a slideshow and to do some minor video editing (display only, changes aren't saved). I haven't really played with the picture display function yet, but my initial impression was that the image quality seemed a little lacking... I think that was a problem with the pictures though. It also reads Kodak Photo CDs, and has a special interface to handle that too (don't have any Photo CDs, so I couldn't check this).

In all, I have to say I'm extremely satisfied with this purchase. I did however get it for a very good price ($700...and I also had help from cash gifts from relatives, so my out of pocket expense was $200...not including the $150 I spent on a 2 year service plan). I'm watching more DVDs now too (and with 500+ DVDs, that's important! ).

FYI, registering the product extends the life of the warranty by a few months. You can get accessories from J & J International (Samsung's auth. service parts center) at 800 627-4368...here are the prices I've gotten so far:

dc adapter: 116.25
power cord 18.25
audio cables 20.30
video cables 21.38
2 hr battery 157.18
car/airplane adapter 89.99

If you have a good relationship with a local Samsung dealer, you might check to see if they can get it for you...might save you shipping at least...I've had to people offer to look up prices for me already.

If you have any questions, just ask and I'll be happy to answer them if I can.

Link to Samsung's page on this player: http://www.samsungelectronics.com/dv...ble/index.html

-David

Last edited by Blade; 05-08-03 at 05:27 AM.
Old 11-06-02, 03:33 PM
Uber Member

FYI, there's a pretty good thread about portables here:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=219393

I posted my impressions of the Toshiba 2000 in this post in that thread:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...19#post2598419

If you want to see what it looks like with the battery attached, look it up on Amazon.com and click on the more photos link under the product photo.

Nice player, but with a video based format, bigger is better. However, I don't think they can get much bigger and still be considered portable.

-David
Old 11-07-02, 08:47 AM

WOW, thanks a lot blade, great info. Damm tha'ts a long review.. you should submit it somewhere

appreciate the help, gonna go read the threads you posted also.

Thanks
Sathlin
Old 11-07-02, 09:22 AM

So blade do you own both players? or just the samsung?
your review of the toshiba was just from testing it at the store?

I do agree about screen size, bigger is always better. The samsung though is definatly bigger then the toshiba. I was worried that maybe the samsung is too big, almost like a laptop.

I'm still stuck between the two. the samsung online, is only 50 dollars more then the toshiba.

I remember a best buy near me had them both on display, i'll have to go this weekend and really sit and test them both side by side.
Old 11-07-02, 02:30 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by Sathlin
So blade do you own both players? or just the samsung?
your review of the toshiba was just from testing it at the store?

I do agree about screen size, bigger is always better. The samsung though is definatly bigger then the toshiba. I was worried that maybe the samsung is too big, almost like a laptop.

I'm still stuck between the two. the samsung online, is only 50 dollars more then the toshiba.

I remember a best buy near me had them both on display, i'll have to go this weekend and really sit and test them both side by side.
Heh, I wish I was that rich! No, just the Samsung. I did the Toshiba testing on the instore display with the help and permission of the CompUSA employees.

If you can, ask if you can bring in your own DVDs and get it removed from it's security box for some hands on testing. I suggest taking a few of your own DVDs (put them in CD jewel cases so the security tags in the DVD cases don't set off their anti theft devices like mine did ) because you want to use movies you're familiar with the picture quality, and also to get a real feel for how the different aspect ratios will look. I made sure to bring a 1.85:1 DVD, a 2.35:1 DVD, a 4:3 DVD and a 2.35:1 non-anamorphic DVD when I tested the Toshiba.... Also remember to bring some headphones (though they'll probably provide you with some if you ask) and to ask them for the remote and the battery so you can access all the functions as well as feel how heavy and bulky each unit is with the battery attached.

And try to keep in mind how you'll be using this unit. For instance, if it's only for airplane use and you have plenty of room in your carry on, then the larger size of the Toshiba with the battery attached shouldn't really make a difference to you. But if you'll be carrying it around in a briefcase, and using it in a number of different locations, then form factor becomes much more important.

Another thing you can do is try to bargain with Bestbuy... they probably won't come down in price, but see if they'll throw in a multiyear service plan for free...that and not having to deal with shipping for any technical problems (as well as not having to wait for it to ship) might make the extra cost of buying at Bestbuy worth it.

Good luck and have fun.

-David
Old 11-07-02, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Blade

The display is both the best part, and one of the biggest caveats to this player. It really is a beautiful screen. 10" and a great picture. However, it's a 16x9 screen, and a 16x9 screen only. Any 4:3 or non anamorphic material gets streched out to fill up the screen.
Are you sure about that? I'm certain that most of my sister's kids' videos (Thomas the Tank Engine, etc.) are all 4:3 and I remember seeing them on the screen windowboxed so the 4:3 frame is centered in the 16:9 screen with black bars on the sides.
Old 11-08-02, 04:21 AM
Uber Member

Originally posted by belboz
Are you sure about that? I'm certain that most of my sister's kids' videos (Thomas the Tank Engine, etc.) are all 4:3 and I remember seeing them on the screen windowboxed so the 4:3 frame is centered in the 16:9 screen with black bars on the sides.
Yes. I've watched several hours of Mad About You on it, and it's streched out to fill the screen. Samething with Friends, Cowboy Bebop, Ninja Scroll, Record of Lodoss War (been checking out Japanese Anime lately ). Any non anamorphic movie I play on it is stretched out too.

I've read through the manual and tried all the menu settings, and didn't find a way around it.

I also talked to Samsung's Customer Service people and they said that there's no way around this.

If they really are getting windowboxed video, I'd really like to know how they did it.

-David
Old 11-08-02, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Doh! That's what I get for skimming through the posts. I thought you were talking about the Toshiba.
Old 11-19-02, 04:23 PM
Uber Member

Actually, I should have quoted the post I was responding too.

I've edited the post to make that more clear.

I also added some info about the extended life battery (it's still not available, but will last for 5 hours).

Also needed to correct something. You can't use just a standard optical cable to output digital sound to a receiver: It needs an optical cable with a mini optical adaptor to output both DD and DTS sound. (PartsExpress.com has the adaptor here and a cable with the adaptor can be found at etronics.com here.)

-David
Old 11-21-02, 10:14 AM

I'm still up in the air on this..
I went to best buy, with star wars 2 in my pocket to test out in the toshiba 2000 and the samsung ld100
the guy tells me they can't take it out of the lock.

I was like, i'm not gonna spend a thousand bucks( of course i woudln't pay this much) for a dvd player and not be able to handle it.. it is a portable player..
he's like well most people know what they want and just buy it..
i just walked away.

i'll have to try again this weekend.

The way i see it
Toshiba = higher resolution, smaller frame but thicher, especially with the extra battery. Has different zoom abilities. Heavier, helping it sit up on a table better. etc.

Samsung= bigger screen. Very thin. smaller batter, but less battery life also. The extra battery though will be much smaller then teh toshiba's.
forces all pictures to zoom, filling up the whole screen. This can make 4X3(gasp) dvds look bad.

price wise, they both very close now, samsung about 50 bucks more online.

well,, we'll see. I'm dying to get one before my almost 2 hour trip on thanksgiving day...
Old 11-21-02, 01:43 PM
Uber Member

I believe that on the Toshiba (and am sure about the Samsung), that's not an extra battery, but the battery. So you'll be using it whenever you want to go mobile. You have to buy extra batteries seperately as each unit only comes with the one.

If they tell you the same thing this weekend (can't open it), ask to speak to their manager. It might help to go at a slow time of the day too.
Old 11-22-02, 09:46 AM

I believe that on the Toshiba (and am sure about the Samsung), that's not an extra battery, but the battery. So you'll be using it whenever you want to go mobile. You have to buy extra batteries seperately as each unit only comes with the one.

If they tell you the same thing this weekend (can't open it), ask to speak to their manager. It might help to go at a slow time of the day too.
blade, have you seen the extra battery for the samsung? i think you said its not out yet... i wonder how big its gonna be.. and you said that by itself will last 5 hours?

wow in that case, i might not use the normal battery at all then..

So with normal headphones on the samsung, how loud is the sound?
i just bought some noise cancelling headphones.. haven't come in yet.. for flights and such..
but i'm just worried if i need to get powered headphones or what..

thanks blade
sathlin
Old 11-22-02, 01:27 PM
Uber Member

blade, have you seen the extra battery for the samsung? i think you said its not out yet... i wonder how big its gonna be.. and you said that by itself will last 5 hours?

wow in that case, i might not use the normal battery at all then..

So with normal headphones on the samsung, how loud is the sound?
i just bought some noise cancelling headphones.. haven't come in yet.. for flights and such..
but i'm just worried if i need to get powered headphones or what..

thanks blade
sathlin
No I haven't seen the extended life battery, though their website makes it look the same as the regular battery. It isn't out yet (or at least it wasn't when I called them this past Monday) so I can't say for sure. I would think it would be at least a little bigger though. When I asked them how long the battery life was, they said 5 hours.

I initially thought the volume level on the Samsung using headphones was pretty bad. But having used it on a DC 10 sized interisland flight where I was right over a wing, and also on an overseas flight roundtrip from Hawaii to Las Vegas, I think it's actually not that bad just using headphones. Especially if you use earbuds.

I would still recommend getting either the noise cancelling headphones or a volume booster (here's a link to a product at Radio Shack that's very similar to the boostaroo I purchased on ebay) as being able to play the volume at a lower setting will make the player's battery last longer. It can also be less fatiguing on the ears.

I've also found the built in speakers to be much more useful than I thought they would be. I actually used this thing in a grocery store the other night while pushing the cart around for my wife. As long as I wasn't right under a Musak speaker, I could hear the DVD (disc 4 from LOTR extended edition) very well.
Old 11-25-02, 10:57 AM

Well i was finally able to put in some good time looking at both the toshiba sdp2000 and the samsung ld100.

Tweeter had both players side by side and they had the spiderman dvd playing.

My final conclusions,
I like the picture on the samsung better, felt softer.
the toshiba looked grainier.

The samsung had a better viewing angle, if i moved just slightly with the toshiba you would then have to adjust the screen.

the samsung has a bigger screen and is thinner.
the toshiba seemed to have more advanced features though. and from what i've read the toshiba has different zoom options, where the samsung does not.

The samsung's speakers were louder then the toshibas. In the noisy store, i was able to listen to the samsung very comfortably at 9 out of 10. the toshiba i simply could not hear at all without sticking my head in the player :0

One important issue is that of the battery. Now both players will basically last about 2 hours.. maybe the toshiba will last longer from what i've read.
But, the samsung's extended battery, which will last up to 5 hours, is much much smaller then the toshiba's.
the toshiba's extra battery adds a lot of size and weight to the player, as it attaches to the whole bottom of the player.
the samsung battery simply attaches to the back of the player and is much smaller.

I have finally decided that i will go with the Samsung ld100 player.
I liked the picture better, it has a bigger screen, smaller battery, comes with a carrying case, and has more accesories for future purchase also. samsungs website on the player is much better also.. if that matters.. heh.
Old 11-25-02, 04:34 PM
Uber Member

Cool. Let us know what you think after you get it.
Old 12-30-02, 09:20 PM

Well i finally got the samsung dvd 100.
I'm loving it so far, looks great, very thin player. Very happy so far.

Hey blade, did you keep that screen protector on it? seems like the picture looks better with it on.. think i'll leave it on.
i see that the extended battery is out now, about 150 bucks at etronics.com
did you get it yet?

let me know,
Old 12-31-02, 01:43 AM
Li

I'm on my fourth attempt at selling the Toshiba Portable SDP-1500 I bought this last summer. My first one was a Pioneer which turned out to be a reconditioned model, so I sold it. Then I got a Panasonic lv60, had it for a few weeks, but returned it to Best Buy; I felt I could do better for the money. Then I got the Toshiba right before I went on summer vacation.

Well, it was wonderful to use on the plane, and at the hotel. However, when I got home, I found myself not using it; mainly because I was afraid of screwing it up; to touch it; the dam paint on those players scratches so easily. So I'm cutting my losses. I've been trying to sell it for a while now. Two people have won it on eBay, however, both decided not to pay me. One ignored my e-mails completely, and the other said his wife had unknowingly bought him one for his birthday. I guess I'm just having really bad luck.

Well, if anyone's interested in a barely-used, mint condition 8" Toshiba for a good price, my eBay name's Toji53. Feel free to look it up or make me an offer by e-mail.

Last edited by Li; 12-31-02 at 02:01 AM.
Old 12-31-02, 06:19 AM
Uber Member

Hey blade, did you keep that screen protector on it? seems like the picture looks better with it on.. think i'll leave it on.
No, I took it off right away. Mine was a taped on plastic sheet that had a big glare problem though. If I still have it, I'll check it out again as I didn't really try that last time.
i see that the extended battery is out now, about 150 bucks at etronics.com
did you get it yet?
I think that's just an extra 2 hour battery. The price through Samsung's parts supplier for that battery is $157.18, so I'm pretty sure it's the same thing.

When I last called them near the end of November, they said that the extended battery wasn't likely until the first or second quarter of 2003. I'm planning on calling again next week monday to see if they have any more news.

One more thing... the unit continues to draw a tiny amount of power even when off, so disconnect the battery if you want it to last longer.

Li,

I forget if you looked at the Samsung, or if it's drawbacks made it not work for you, but I've been using my player almost every other day for the last 2 1/2 months and haven't gotten a scratch on it yet. The top is ridged, and I think that helps. I think (though I'm not sure) the plastic is dyed as opposed to painted. And I'm not exactly gentle with it...I do keep it in the case when not charging or using it, but I do toss it onto couches and it's shoved in my softsided briefcase when I go to work many times. I also shove a couple DVDs in slim soft plastic cd holders and the remote in the case with the player.
Old 12-31-02, 11:54 AM

oh is it just a replacement battery for the one we already have? ahh ok. good thing you told me hehe.
i did try looking for the part number etc.. but coudn't find it.
guess we'll have to wait for a couple more months for it..
dont know why its taking so long..

oh.. maybe its me, but i can't figure out when i would ever use the reverse picture function we have.. lol

later,
sathlin

No, I took it off right away. Mine was a taped on plastic sheet that had a big glare problem though. If I still have it, I'll check it out again as I didn't really try that last time. I think that's just an extra 2 hour battery. The price through Samsung's parts supplier for that battery is $157.18, so I'm pretty sure it's the same thing.

When I last called them near the end of November, they said that the extended battery wasn't likely until the first or second quarter of 2003. I'm planning on calling again next week monday to see if they have any more news.

One more thing... the unit continues to draw a tiny amount of power even when off, so disconnect the battery if you want it to last longer.

Li,

I forget if you looked at the Samsung, or if it's drawbacks made it not work for you, but I've been using my player almost every other day for the last 2 1/2 months and haven't gotten a scratch on it yet. The top is ridged, and I think that helps. I think (though I'm not sure) the plastic is dyed as opposed to painted. And I'm not exactly gentle with it...I do keep it in the case when not charging or using it, but I do toss it onto couches and it's shoved in my softsided briefcase when I go to work many times. I also shove a couple DVDs in slim soft plastic cd holders and the remote in the case with the player.
Old 12-31-02, 11:54 AM
Li

Blade,

I wish the Toshiba was that durable. My first Pioneer got scratched even though I handled it like it was worth a fortune and refused to touch any part of it other than the bottom (while holding it). It's crazy.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.