DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Finally getting HD Cable

Old 11-04-02, 02:57 PM

Finally getting HD Cable

Comcast is coming to install their High Definition cable box this week. 4 channels (HBO, SHO, ABC, NBC) available in HD.

Anybody with any experience with Comcast's HD? I have a Sony KP53HS10 and looks like I will need to get the Inday HDTV 4x1 Component Video Switcher to handle the cable, Xbox, and DVD player.
Old 11-04-02, 05:07 PM
Cool New Member

I got COMCAST HD a few weeks ago. The HBO and showtime look great; however, the local stations look terrible. The shows that do come across as HD on the local stations are just streteched images of the standard broadcasts with digital sound. By the way, I just spent $30 on a composite video splitter and used the video and sound connections for the component cables. I know that you sacrifice bandwidth, but I am fairly picky and it still looks great.
Old 11-05-02, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didn't even know that Comcast has HD.
Old 11-05-02, 04:14 PM

I read that Comcast has HD in a few markets. I'm glad we are joining them. However, they charge a $50 fee for the HD install !
Old 11-06-02, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, but what bitrate will they be passing along to their subscribers. Most cable companies are going to pass along a 12.9Mb bitstream compared to the 19.4Mb that you get OTA or Satellite.