DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Quick question: speaker crackles and pops - what's wrong? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/247828-quick-question-speaker-crackles-pops-whats-wrong.html)

iveal 11-02-02 12:42 AM

Quick question: speaker crackles and pops - what's wrong?

I have a set of 2.1 Cambridge Soundwork Microworks speakers that I've owned for over 3 years. These speakers consist of a subwoofer, 2 satellites, and the amplifier circuitry integrated into the subwoofer's housing. Just recently, I noticed that the satellites start to crackle after some use. The amount of time between when the satellites are first used and when they start to crackle and pop varies from 15 minutes to an hour with the only guarantee being that they will crackle/pop sooner or later.

Before they crackle/pop though, they sound perfectly fine. After they start to crackle/pop, the crackling and popping won't stop unless I turn on the speakers through the switch on the subwoofer. Even if I turn off the audio source, the speakers still sometimes crackle if left on. I know that the audio sources are not the problem because the crackle/pops are not heard through other means of output (i.e. headphones, audio redirected through different audio system).

I definitely plan on either repairing or replacing these speakers, but I'd like to know what's wrong with them and how they became defective so that I can avoid these problems in the future. Thanks in advance.

gcribbs 11-02-02 02:07 AM

My old computer speakers by cambridge popped and crackled due to any surges in the power. If someone turned on a light- Pop :(

You might also check the connections- maybe something is loose.

bfrank 11-02-02 09:38 AM

I suspect that its the amplifer and not the speakers. You could check this by hooking the speakers up to a different reciever. The amp could be clipping after it heats up.

mookiemeister 11-02-02 09:52 AM

I also have a Cambridge Soundworks. Occasionally, it would make a popping sound. I'm still not sure why it does that.

iveal 11-02-02 10:50 AM

I plan on placing the speakers on my APC line conditioner later today to see if the problem might be power related. Currently, it's only on an APC SurgeArrest.

Also, I happen to have a pair of no-name satellites that I had connected to the subwoofer several weeks ago. I believe the problem did not surface yet then. Do any of you think that this might have caused the problem? At the time, the amplifier in the subwoofer was able to drive these no-names without issue, but I wonder if there might have been some differences in the satellites' impedance that might have damaged the amplifier. Is there any way to confirm that this is the source of the problem?

Again, thanks for all your help.

Goat3001 11-02-02 12:26 PM

Does is snap too?

If so I'm guessing you got Rice Krispies in your speakers.