Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

tivo without service

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-02, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tivo without service

I have a tivo and no service and i get those annoying boxes pop up when i change the channel and when i go into the menu. Anyone know how to get rid of them? someone mentioned there is a code but i looked through the faq on the tivo community page and couldnt find it
Old 10-22-02, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[deleted thread crap]

Last edited by bfrank; 10-23-02 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-22-02, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by futbol
[deleted thread crap]
wow, that was alot of help, I'm sure that's why venusian started this thread, so someone could tell him to get the service.. I think that's whats called a thread crap.. I'm looking for the code, I'll post it when I find it..

Last edited by bfrank; 10-23-02 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-22-02, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
it must be an older tivo, from what they've told us at work they newer ones won't do much of anything without service (at least the Sony ones won't)
I'll do some searching, I once found a site with alot of good info, and if this one guy at work still works there I'll ask him. He knew all about the debugging codes
haven't seen him in a while though, probably found a better job

Last edited by mikehunt; 10-22-02 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-22-02, 09:21 PM

I think you've seen this list of codes at tivo community forum but I don't see that one on it...

TCF

Last edited by PhYbEr; 10-22-02 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-22-02, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

yeah i have the original release, i havent upgraded the software on it either so i think its version 1.something.

supposedly 2.0 got rid of a lot of functionality and all manually recorded shows just said "Manually Recorded" instead of listing the date and time. people complained so people who bought it with a version less than 2.0 originally got upgrades to 2.01 or something that added some functionality back. but new tivos didnt have that functionality.
Old 10-23-02, 04:48 PM

I'm sorry, it sounded to me like you just wanted to get around paying for the service. To be honest, other possibilities hadn't occured to me. I have a ReplayTV, and once it's activated, it's activated forever, so I guess I thought a used TiVo would be the same.

I do apologize, and I did not mean to threadcrap.
Old 10-23-02, 11:03 PM

Dude that's cool, have you had any problems with your replay? To me it seems to be the better of the two but for some reason tivo kinda took off. The ReplayTV 5000 looks pretty nice..
Old 10-24-02, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

is there a difference between the old and new replays?

i've seen people talking about paying for the service for replay. i thought it was included in the price
Old 10-24-02, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by Venusian
is there a difference between the old and new replays?

i've seen people talking about paying for the service for replay. i thought it was included in the price

The Replays sold by Sonic Blue don't include activation. You have to pay an additional $250 for lifetime service.
Old 10-24-02, 03:32 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by futbol
I'm sorry, it sounded to me like you just wanted to get around paying for the service. To be honest, other possibilities hadn't occured to me. I have a ReplayTV, and once it's activated, it's activated forever, so I guess I thought a used TiVo would be the same.

I do apologize, and I did not mean to threadcrap.

No big deal!
Old 10-24-02, 05:02 PM

Sonic Blue has also recently introduced a monthly pricing structure similar to TiVos.

I have had great success with my Replay. The real influencing factor for me was the ethernet port, so I can use it to transfer shows directly to my computer and burn them to DVD.

There have been software advances in recent versions too. The commercial advance feature is extremely useful. A lot of people say the video quality isn't good, but I haven't had any problems.