Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Extended Coverage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-02, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended Coverage?

As someone in the industry I honestly think anyonenot buying coverage on a tv is foolish, what is everyone else's opinion?
Old 10-22-02, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Extended Coverage?

Originally posted by Kman1011
As someone in the industry I honestly think anyonenot buying coverage on a tv is foolish, what is everyone else's opinion?
As someone who has been in the industry I can understand why you would think that. I have three Sony TV's, the oldest is 22 years old. I do not have an extended warranty on any of them.

It is a personal choice. If not buying is foolish because the product has a higher than average tendency to go bad, perhaps I should choose another brand. The manufacturer gets nothing from extended warranties and wants to build a good product from the start.
Old 10-22-02, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I will agree on some tv's secifically tubes it is not as important, if you wee to see the amount of repairs on all models of big screens and the cost involved you would be shocked.
Old 10-22-02, 08:33 AM
Banned

I would not buy an extended warranty. Might be tempting if it were cheap enough and the TV was expensive, but otherwise no.
Old 10-22-02, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I will agree on some tv's secifically tubes it is not as important
That is not what your initial post said.
Old 10-22-02, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, not trying to argue with, just reclarifying.
Old 10-23-02, 12:11 AM

I look at how mature the technology is, what specifically the coverage of the plan is, and what the cost is. My most recent purchase was a Archos 20 GB MP3 player, and for $17 I get 12 months beyond the factory warranty where the remedy for trouble is a gift certificate for the original purchase price from Buy.com.

Most likely when I buy a front projection monitor in the next year or so for like $5k, its something I will certainly consider. Its all a matter of the coverage, cost , and tech.
Old 10-23-02, 05:17 PM

NO. It's another way for them to make money. I'm 27 and in all my years of owning electronic equipment I only have to use the manufacturer's warranty only once.

If an electronic item is defective, it's most likely to be defective in the first 30 days of use in which you can exercise your return or exchange policy to the store which sold it to you. After that 30 days you normally have a 1 or 2 year manufacturer's warranty so why pay extra to buy an additional warranty.

USE the manufacturer's warranty and save yourself some money.
Old 10-23-02, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is the saying I found to be the most comical, if it is going to break it is going to break during the warranty. I have heard that from numerous people aon all sorts of products. Do you really think the manufacture builds the product to break during their warranty so they have to pay for it. If it would last longer, why would they not make the warrant longer and make their product that much more invaluable?