DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Benefits of a DVD+RW over DVD-RW Recorders? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/244293-benefits-dvd-rw-over-dvd-rw-recorders.html)

livewiretoo 10-18-02 02:05 AM

Benefits of a DVD+RW over DVD-RW Recorders?

Can someone please let me know?

Roy28 10-18-02 06:22 PM

Here's a web site that may help:

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/

This site is definately biased in favor of +RW and +R, but should provide some useful info.

Roy

Steve Phillips 10-21-02 12:09 PM

DVD+R/DVD+RW discs can be played on most DVD players regardless of what speed they were recorded on.

DVD-RW can only be played on DVD players if they were recorded in 2 hour "video mode". If you use the longer speeds, it won't work.

Chrisedge 10-21-02 03:30 PM

Originally posted by Steve Phillips
DVD+R/DVD+RW discs can be played on most DVD players regardless of what speed they were recorded on.

DVD-RW can only be played on DVD players if they were recorded in 2 hour "video mode". If you use the longer speeds, it won't work.

That is only true if using a standalone recorder. I have made many DVD-R that are longer than 2 hours and they play fine on my players.

DVD-R is backed by the DVD Forum, whereas DVD+ is not.

Steve Phillips 10-21-02 05:33 PM

Let's face it, most people are going to be using a standalone recorder, not PC drives. The average consumer will think of DVD recorders as a VCR replacement. Prices need to drop of course, but this is where its going. Also, your reply refers to DVD-R; I was talking about DVD-RW. Big difference.

The DVD Forum means nothing, either. DVD+R/DVD+RW are closer to the DVD Video standard anyway. The + platform is well established in the marketplace and in fact has been gaining major ground in recent months.

Again, there really is no format war. DVD-R, DVD+R and DVD+RW will all play on most newer DVD players, so what is the big deal?
I use DVD-R and DVD+R interchangably as they both do the same thing and both play on my DVD players. I really don't care which I use. DVD+RW is my favorite choice though as they are erasable yet fully compatible with my regular players. Besides SONY already has a multi standard PC drive on the market and will have dual format standalone recorders on the market in Japan next year. There is no real danger of using the "wrong" format, except for maybe DVD-RAM.

livewiretoo 10-22-02 06:17 AM

Steve,

Since I live in Japan and have the chance of picking up the new Pioneer with a 80gb hard drive or waiting for the Sony next year, which would you go with? Is +rw really that much better picture-wise, etc. to make me want to wait for that Sony? I'm thinking to maybe ask Sony when they plan on that new player (hopefully it will have a harddrive too). I'm well aware of the idea of waiting too long for what may be around the corner, but as you said that dual format Sony is awfully nice to think about getting.

Chrisedge 10-22-02 09:33 AM

Let's face it, most people are going to be using a standalone recorder, not PC drives. The average consumer will think of DVD recorders as a VCR replacement. Prices need to drop of course, but this is where its going. Also, your reply refers to DVD-R; I was talking about DVD-RW. Big difference.
Just like more people use standalone CD Burners? :rolleyes: I have yet to seen a standalone that can create DVD's like a much cheaper PC based unit.

The DVD Forum means nothing, either.
Maybe to you it doesn't.

Again, there really is no format war. DVD-R, DVD+R and DVD+RW will all play on most newer DVD players, so what is the big deal?
Sure there is, look on the above site in there forum. You won't see too much "support" for DVD-R. Just as you go to a DVD-R friendly site, you'll see people slamming (unfairly?) DVD+R. The industry is usually slowed down and hurt by format wars. Look at the HD-DVD support for 1 format. It makes things much less confusing for the average consumer when there is only one standard.

Steve Phillips 10-22-02 11:25 AM

We are NOT talking about audio here. There is no way the *average* consumer is going to be burning DVDs from a PC.
Standalone DVD recorders, (along with PVRs or in combo units) will replace VCRs. People will be recording from TV.

Again, these are not really different formats. If they all play on the same machine, who cares!? I mean, if I shoot 35mm pictures or digital pictures, I can still put them both in the same photo album.

The DVD forum really doesn't mean anything except to those who have a vested interest in keeping up the appearance that it is anything that matters.

Bottom line: DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD-R are all basically the same thing. They all play in regular DVD players. If people want to get all worked up and carry on about nothing, let them.

Me, I just enjoy both of my DVD recorders, and play the discs on my other DVD players as well.

I'm not going to let shills for one company or another tell me what I can and can't do.