DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Receiver War- NAD vs Denon vs HK (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/244100-receiver-war-nad-vs-denon-vs-hk.html)

lordzeppelin 10-17-02 10:33 AM

Receiver War- NAD vs Denon vs HK

So Now that I finally got my speakers (see my other thread)...it's down to what receiver should go with them.

I've narrowed it down to three model lines, and seeing as all three currently have a new version coming out, it's tough to decide. I've heard all three of the current models, and can only do nothing but wait for the new ones of course...

here are the ones I'm considering...

NAD 761 or the new 752 or 762.
Denon 3802, 1082, or the new 3803
HK 520, or the new 525

Now, I should preface this by saying I've always wanted a denon. That's what my college theater was stocked with, and I directed many a play in that theater, using the equipment all the time.

The 3802 seems to be the middle of the road fave, with the HK right behind it, and NAD as the "darkhorse" if you will. I had never heard of them, but the more I read and the more I've seen, NAD seems to put out some simple solid products. They don't seem to have all the bells and whistles that the Denon and HK do, but their power ratings are for continuous wattage, as opposed to peak in some other manufacturers.

So hit me with some opinions. I'm trying to se if it's worth the some $400 worth of difference to get a 3803 over a 3802, or a 762 over a 752 or 761...I mean the new DACs that are 24/192 as opposed to 24/96 are nice, but are they worth it? I may be able to get a Denon 3802 for like $600 shipped, and I almost want to say that I don't think it can be beat at that price with the features it has, but then again the NAD 752 would be about $150 more, and that seems damn nice too, but it doesn't have all the features of the Denon, but rather a better DAC and video freq (50mhz vs 27 on the denon), but lacks the 6.1 capability which I'd like in the future.

The odd one out for me seems to be the HK, as it sounded alright, but a little thin to me. maybe it was just the setup, but the features and price are right on it as well...

jumbojp 10-17-02 04:38 PM

It depends on your speakers and other components, but I would go with the Denon or NAD which you seem to be leaning toward anyway.

I have a Denon and it sounds great with my Paradigm speakers.

Definately buy the Denon from an authorized dealer though, they are very strict on that if you have to have it repaired for some reason.

ckolchak 10-17-02 08:30 PM

LZ,
just placed the order today for a 752.
i was going to try and wait for some feedback from users, but i just can't seem to find any.
i'm hoping that sound-wise its on par with the 761-if so, i'll be more than happy-if not...well i probably wouldn't be able to tell unless i got ahold of another 761 and got to hook it up for a weekend.
the HK520 sounded like a damn fine reciever (and it is), it was only when i got the chance to directly compare it within minutes to the NAD that i saw(heard) that there actually were some noticeable differences.
i hope all the bells and whistles (that i probably won't make much use of anyway) don't skew the sound quality on the 752.

my opinion, for what its worth;
whatever you get you will love. the only way you would ever find shortcomings with it, is to be able to directly compare with all three in the same room.
i had the 761 at the same time as an Onkyo 600 and HK520.
i did hear enough of a difference to take a chance on the 752.
but if i hadn't, the HK would have been an easy reciever to 'settle' with.