DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DTS ES Reciever question.

Old 10-16-02, 06:16 AM
Cool New Member

DTS ES Reciever question.

I am looking to purchase a DTS ES receiver, I have narrowed it down to 3 models in my price range.
Onkyo TXSR600
Pioneer VSXD811s
Yamaha HTR5560
Does anyone have any experience with any of these receivers and whats your opinion on them? Are the Onkyo & Yam worth the extra $100 over the pioneer? I will be hooking this up to polk r30's, Csi20 center and R15 surrounds, which I have been buying as they go on sale over the past month, now I just need something to hook them up to.
I know these are pretty much the bottom of the line of 6.1 receivers but my ears don't really justifiy me spending the extra cash on high end gear. I'd rather save the extra cash to upgrade the display, which I can tell the difference about. Also the Yamaha and the Onkyo only have a single set of speaker connections for the rear center, how do I go about connecting 2 rear centers with these receivers? Do I just hook 2 sets of speaker cable into each connection, this would seem just too uncomplicated to me?
Any input would be appriciated, Thanks.
Old 10-16-02, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They are all good models in their price range.

I do not understand why you need or would want to connect two rear center speakers.
Old 10-16-02, 07:01 AM
Cool New Member

The fact that it is possible to have 2 rear centers with the pioneer got me thinking that this would be better for my room constraints, I have a long narrow room, I was thinking I could mount all my surrounds to the wall easier than trying to mount the rear center to the ceiling somehow. I saw a set up simlar to this at the wiz with the surrounds a little behind the viewing position and the 2 rear centers about 10' back or something like that.
Old 10-16-02, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The fact that it is possible to have 2 rear centers
does not mean that it is necessary.

I have a long narrow room
which does away with the need for two rear centers. That is just my opinion of course.
Old 10-16-02, 12:31 PM
Cool New Member

I just stumbled upon this which maybe of interest to anyone who is thinking about getting a dolby ex system.

http://www.dolby.com/ht/co_br_0110_L...rsGuideEX.html