DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Reccomend a good DVD player

Old 10-14-02, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Reccomend a good DVD player

New TV, gotta get a new DVD player! Looking to spend under $300, preferably in the $200 range.

Must Haves:
-It will be hooked up to a VVega, so progressive scan is not necessary (don't talk to me about the future, I'll get another one then) but it should have component video outputs.
-Single disc, no multidisc players.

-DD/DTS pass through via digital coaxial or optical wire.

Good To Haves:

-VCD/MP3/CDR support
-PAL/NTSC conversion (multiregion not necessary, though)
-A decently designed remote!

Any thoughts/reviews appreciated. If you think I'm missing anything on the wants lists feel free to chime in.
Old 10-14-02, 11:57 PM

well i was gonna tell you to get the panasonic RP-82s (229.99 at amazon) but if you need pal/ntsc conversion then you could try one of the apex models, (man i love my ad-600a) 2 years and still running strong!
Old 10-15-02, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a 2 year old Apex 600A, that's what I'm trying to upgrade away from!

PAL/NTSC conversion would be nice as I've got a couple PAL R0 discs, but nothing I'd cry over if I couldn't watch them, I'd just put them out on Ebay and be done with it.
Old 10-15-02, 09:15 AM

Stay away from Apex, cheap (price and build) and bad quality!

If you need multi-region, either checkVCDHelp for players that can be remote hacked. Got to be careful though, only a few can do that Pal -> NTSC conversion. The few JVC that are remote hackable are a safe bet. That you you can buy a Malata. Also... you can get a modded version of a great player out now, like a Panasonic RP62/RP82, or even the Denon 1600.

Other wise if you don't want multi-region, I would stick to the two panasonic (rp62/rp82), Denon 1600, Pioneer or Toshiba models in your price range.
Old 10-15-02, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have an Emerson that I bought at Wal-mart for about eighty dollars and it works great. I have to use an RF adaptor to plug it into my tv because it does not have A/V outs and the picture quality is great. You might want to check one out at Wal-mart for the price.
Old 10-15-02, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the comments so far, but I'm really trying to get away from low end players, and multiregion/hackable players aren't that interesting to me. I want to spend at least $200 on a player that offers great pic quality.

Zargon, I'd have to disagree with your comment on Apex. My 600A is 2 years old and still going strong. For a while different models of Apex were made by different companies and thus were of different quality with little or no QA done. That's not how it is now, and the players are built to better specs and tested properly.
Old 10-15-02, 12:57 PM

My cousin has an Apex and it is just a pile. It still works, but the quality is really lacking from all the entry level players from companies like Panasonic, Pioneer and Toshiba. They are very cheaply built and from all I have seen are not that great.

Need VCD, SVCD and all that jazz, get a Pioneer. In terms of PQ and what not, better than the Apex.

Well if you want to stay away from multi-region players (most of which are hacked/modded) why did you even bring it up? Your best bet then is to stick to Pansonic RP62/82, the the Denon 1600 seems to be a great player for the price. Not sure what model number of Pioneer fits in there, but check them out if you have to have CD-R/RW, DVD-RW, VCD and SVCD playback. No one better that Pioneer at all of that all while making a great player at the same time.

Last edited by zargon; 10-15-02 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-15-02, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by zargon

Well if you want to stay away from multi-region players (most of which are hacked/modded) why did you even bring it up?
Because if you read my original post it states I'd like PAL/NTSC conversion, but it does not have to be a multiregion player. That's the only context I brought it up in.

I've heard good things about the Denon, do you have one?
Old 10-15-02, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you can live without the PAL->NTSC conversion, the Panasonic RP-82 is a excellent player. The 82 is around $200, the Denon 1600 is $450+.
Old 10-15-02, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nekobus
If you can live without the PAL->NTSC conversion, the Panasonic RP-82 is a excellent player. The 82 is around $200, the Denon 1600 is $450+.
The 1600 can be gotten for $400. But, yes, the RP-82 is still a lot cheaper.
Old 10-15-02, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What makes the Panasonic RP-82 stand out?
Old 10-15-02, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by renaldow
What makes the Panasonic RP-82 stand out?
The awesome Sage-Faroudja chip. Plus MP3, WMA, DVD-RAM, and especially DVD-Audio.
Old 10-15-02, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by skar
The awesome Sage-Faroudja chip. Plus MP3, WMA, DVD-RAM, and especially DVD-Audio.
Not to mention the excellent MPEG decoder from the RP91. The MPEG decoder is going to really determine the video quality, especially for you, renaldow, since you're only concerned with interlaced output.
Old 10-16-02, 09:02 AM

You might also want to look at the Pioneer 656A. It has the same functions as the Panasonic RP82 but with a better warranty, and it's a little less expensive.

I have a Pioneer 333, and it plays PAL VCDs. So, the 656 might also.

I've only heard good things about Pioneer DVD players.

Here's a link...

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=130DV656A&s=0
Old 10-16-02, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been curious about the Pioneer 656A DVD player also. My friend just ordered it, so i can i can test his. He also picked up the Panasonic RP-62 player just for reference to his old non-progressive Pioneer player. I was surprised of the difference, progressive VS non-progressive. Very nice.....

Of course, why do all the companies have to be a$$es now and put all their products in SILVER. Pioneer's DVD player is SILVER, Panasonic RP-82 is just butt-ugly chrome. And the RP-62 comes in both, but all major stores seem to carry the silver version.

Damn companies
Old 10-16-02, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by skar
What's the deal with the Sage-Faroudja chip? Is that the decoder?
Old 10-17-02, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by renaldow
What's the deal with the Sage-Faroudja chip? Is that the decoder?
The Sage-Faroudja performs the video de-interlacing, and helps to reduce the appearance of combing artifacts while in progressive scan mode. It is probably the best chip on the market for dealing with improperly flagged discs (or which there are many).
Old 10-17-02, 01:26 PM

DVD-RAM?

Ha ha, isn't that dead yet?!?

I would personally go with the Denon 1600 over the Panasonic RP82 just from the fact that it will have some better parts in it. Other wise they are virtually the same, both having the Sage chip and DVD-A.
Old 10-17-02, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Josh Z
The Sage-Faroudja performs the video de-interlacing, and helps to reduce the appearance of combing artifacts while in progressive scan mode. It is probably the best chip on the market for dealing with improperly flagged discs (or which there are many).
So, if I'm not using progressive scan, it's nothing I care about then, right?
Old 10-18-02, 06:29 AM

I would personally go with the Denon 1600 over the Panasonic RP82 just from the fact that it will have some better parts in it. Other wise they are virtually the same, both having the Sage chip and DVD-A.
The Denon doesn't play SVCDs, though. And, it's twice the price of the Panasonic.