DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Where to put the center channel? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/243470-where-put-center-channel.html)

Civic2oo1 10-14-02 07:04 PM

Where to put the center channel?

In a few weeks I'll be building a dedicated HT room in my house. I have all the equipment picked out, cabling ready, just had a quick question. I have the PSB Image 9C center channel and a Samsung 55" WS HDTV. Is it safe to rest the 9C on top of the TV itself, or should I wall mount it from the top?

edclem 10-14-02 07:19 PM

a true center channel speaker will be magnetically shielded, and therefore perfectly safe to place atop the TV.

Double check with your owner's manual, first, but you should be fine.

Added: I just checked the PSB site. It is shielded, so you should be fine.

Icculus 10-14-02 08:23 PM

I've been kind of wondering this too, but more for weight reasons than shielding. I also have a PSB center, I think it weighs somewhere around 16 lbs. I have it on top of a Panasonic 47wx42 and I'm not sure if the top of the TV should be dealing with that much weight over time.

Civic2oo1 10-14-02 08:57 PM

I might have this hanging and have it firing downward, not sure though.

Mr. Salty 10-14-02 09:46 PM

An RPTV can handle 16 pounds with no problem. Most center channel speakers are designed to be put on top of the TV.

Icculus 10-14-02 09:54 PM

Thanks, I'm just a little paranoid ;).

Blade 10-15-02 05:17 AM

Originally posted by Civic2oo1
I might have this hanging and have it firing downward, not sure though.
As an add on to Mr. Salty's comment...most center channels are already designed to fire downwards a bit, so what you seem to be contemplating may actually interfere with getting the proper sound experience from your center.

As long as the top of your TV isn't too small, that's generally the best place to put it.

-David

skar 10-15-02 07:48 AM

The PSB Image 9C weighs 25 lbs. I don't know enough about your TV.

Sdallnct 10-16-02 11:38 PM

Originally posted by Blade
As an add on to Mr. Salty's comment...most center channels are already designed to fire downwards a bit, so what you seem to be contemplating may actually interfere with getting the proper sound experience from your center.

As long as the top of your TV isn't too small, that's generally the best place to put it.

-David

My KEF CC has a single adjustable foot in the back center so that you can adjust the angle. It can only be adjusted a little, but it does make a significate difference.

Don't know if the PSB does that or not. Sounds like you are putting together a nice system. I'll bring the popcorn. :)

Leon Liew 10-17-02 08:47 AM

Ah not to worry it should hold

SpaceBoy 10-17-02 05:19 PM

Originally posted by Icculus
I've been kind of wondering this too, but more for weight reasons than shielding. I also have a PSB center, I think it weighs somewhere around 16 lbs. I have it on top of a Panasonic 47wx42 and I'm not sure if the top of the TV should be dealing with that much weight over time.
I got the same tv, and got a pretty fat center channel on top. It's been on there for about 4 months or so, no noticeable wear. I do always take it off and see if I see bowing or anything when I dust. which isn't often :)

Question somewhat related. Does it matter about a front or rear projection tv, and magnetically shielded speakers. I assumed that was a problem just with tubes. Just wondering.