DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   HDTV Recievers (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/243345-hdtv-recievers.html)

syphon00 10-14-02 09:01 AM

HDTV Recievers

plz provide some link to recommanded ones
I need one that'll receive over the air Free HD signal and is also
capable of being able to recieve Paid HD programming via
cable

another question is would I need a dish to recieve HD signal over the air?

thanks

Brian Shannon 10-14-02 09:15 AM

Re: HDTV Recievers

Originally posted by syphon00
plz provide some link to recommanded ones
I need one that'll receive over the air Free HD signal and is also
capable of being able to recieve Paid HD programming via
cable

another question is would I need a dish to recieve HD signal over the air?

thanks

I do not know if HDTV STB's are available for retail sale that will do cable.

HDTV is broadcast over-the-air as well as cable and DSS. If you do not have either DSS or Cable you will need an HDTV OTA antenna. Even if you have DSS you will still need and antenna.

Links are for reference only

http://www.onecall.com/CID_94.htm

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=6&g=79000&s=0

syphon00 10-14-02 09:51 AM

so I still need an atenna to recieve over the air HD signal after I get the reciever?

Brian Shannon 10-14-02 09:58 AM

so I still need an atenna to recieve over the air HD signal after I get the reciever?
Yes.

Movie_Man 10-14-02 11:45 AM

Yes, specifically a UHF antenna.

Berkowitz 10-14-02 05:57 PM

Do not buy the Terk 55. It is garbage. Buy a cheapie unit for a local store and try it out. I am using a RCA 40db unit and it picks up all the possible HD channels for me. I am using the Zenith DTV1080 STB. Cable companies usually provide there own boxes for HDTV. Common STB's are only for DTV and OTA.

bmello 10-15-02 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Movie_Man
Yes, specifically a UHF antenna.
Not everywhere! NBC here in Atlanta is Digital Channel 10, with I believe a PBS soon at Channel 12. You might need a combo. ;)

Icculus 10-15-02 05:41 PM

Check Radioshack for the double bowtie UHF antenna, they're supposedly really good. They've been discontinued but I just found one marked down on clearance to $4.97.

syphon00 10-17-02 02:01 PM

hmm so what would be reception be like?
I mean usually when you use antenna you're not guranteed
the best picture quality at least not on all channels at the same time, you might need to tweak it for certain channels
would this be the case for HDTV signals, it'll be pretty crappy
to have bad reception and get screwed up HD signals

Icculus 10-17-02 04:38 PM

hmm so what would be reception be like?
I mean usually when you use antenna you're not guranteed
the best picture quality at least not on all channels at the same time, you might need to tweak it for certain channels
would this be the case for HDTV signals, it'll be pretty crappy
to have bad reception and get screwed up HD signals

I'm not positive (I don't have a tunre yet) but I always thought you couldn't get a bad picture because the signal is digital, it's either there or it's not.

Mammal 10-17-02 06:58 PM

That's right. If the signal breaks up, it breaks up into pixels or goes entirely black. When it's good, it's perfect - bright colors, sharp images, no snow, no ghosts...

syphon00 10-17-02 07:56 PM

Hey Mammal I see that you're in Atlanta
I'm in Duluth, so are u using over the air HD?
is so how many channels are u getting?

thanks

Mantecore 12-01-02 10:24 PM

So if i get a ota hd receiver and a uhf antenna, i should be able to get hdtv signal?? do you know of any sites that would be able to tell me if i would be able to recieve it, its different for every area?

Icculus 12-01-02 10:36 PM

check www.antennaweb.org to see what you should be able to receive in your area.

Mantecore 12-01-02 10:50 PM

ok, so i need a green antenna? my zip code is 80247

Icculus 12-02-02 07:21 AM

Originally posted by Mantecore
ok, so i need a green antenna? my zip code is 80247
It looks like you have a lot of close by stations - I'd try an indoor first and then, if tht doesn't work, you should only need a small roof antenna.

JBabbitt 12-02-02 09:36 AM

Try an indoor, if you cannot find the double bowtie, go with something amplified. As far as the STB goes, I have gone through about six, and the only one I have found that I like is the Mitsu HD STB. It is the easiest to use, and the picture is outstanding.

Patman 12-02-02 11:19 AM

JB, have you tried the Samsung SIR-T165 OTA STB?

Mantecore 12-02-02 06:48 PM

Ok, so i should go with the radio shack double bowtie? Ive seen them on ebay for about $20 and also do you know of any other receivers to use besides for the samsung sir-ti65 and the mitsu Hd STB?

Patman 12-02-02 08:29 PM

There's a Zenith HD520/SAT520, Sony HD200, RCA DTC100, Sharp TU-DTV1000, Hughes E86, Samsung SIR-T151/SIR-TS160,

Mantecore 12-02-02 08:35 PM

thanks, last question since my tv is in the basement and if i get the double bowtie, do you think i will get reception because its in the basement? and also the rca dtc100, ive seen it at a good price, is it ota?

Patman 12-02-02 08:56 PM

The reception issue is hit-or-miss with placement in a basement. You may get lucky, or you may find out you'll need an outside antenna, or place the double bow-tie antenna on the 1st floor somewhere.

The DTC100 has a fan in it, so it might be a little noisy. Also, it can only output via VGA for HD content (if you need component output, you need an adapter from VGA-to-Component). It does also receive analog channels and upconverts them to 540p (form 480p).

Of course, don't be afraid to do a google search for reviews, like this short one:

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0...tml?tag=rating

cowanrg 12-02-02 09:05 PM

i recommend the samsungs. i forget the model, but there is only one out there by them now i believe. its really good.

and as far as their direcTV HDTV boxes, the samsung is by far the best out there. the hughes is ok, the sony is expensive (whats new), but the samsung is the best by FAR.

Mantecore 12-02-02 09:41 PM

Yeah, thanks i think im going to get the samsung sir t151, and just play my luck with different antennas, and if its a no guy il just resell everythhing on ebay, thanks for the info!

cowanrg 12-02-02 10:22 PM

nah, you will like the samsung at least. just get a decent terk antenna. really any old antenna will do.

Originally posted by Mantecore
Yeah, thanks i think im going to get the samsung sir t151, and just play my luck with different antennas, and if its a no guy il just resell everythhing on ebay, thanks for the info!