Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Hypothetical DVD Recorder Purchase at Best Buy: Which would you buy?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.
View Poll Results: Hypothetical Question: Which Best Buy DVD Recorder Would You Purchase?
Philips The Ultimate Digital Device - Progress Scan DVD Recorder and Player
38.46%
Panasonic DVD Player/Recorder with Progressive Scan
23.08%
Neither. I am going to buy/bought another DVD recorder
15.38%
Neither. I'm waiting until later (new year) to make a DVD recorder purchase
23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-02, 01:37 PM

I'm hoping to purchase a DVD Recorder on Black Friday, and wanted to get early head-start on research with opinions of readers here at DVD talk.

Best Buy has two interesting DVD Recorders for sale in their October 13th, 2002 flyer.

1. Philips The Ultimate Digital Device - Progress Scan DVD Recorder and Player: Digitially record your favorite TV shows. Plus i.Link provides a high-speed connection so you can copy your digital camcorder tapes onto DVD. Both will look and soung great with Dolby Digital/DTS outputs. Also plays DVD-videos, CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs and MP3s. $899.99

2. Panasonic DVD Player/Recorder with Progressive Scan: Includes a built-in hard drive that stores up to 52 hours of recording. The PC card slot reads media like SD, Compact Flash, Memory Stick, SmartMedia and more. Optical digital output lets you enjoy Dolby Digital/DTS Surround Sound. $999.99

3. Neither. I am going to buy/bought [insert DVD recorder name and reasoning here].

4. Neither. I'm waiting until next year to make a DVD recorder purchase due to [insert reason here].

Basically, I want the recorder to do three things:

a) Successfully transfer all my shows recorded on VHS.
b) Act like a TIVO by allowing the "time slip" feature which I think item 2 does
c) Make multiple backups of my VHS recordings without having to play the entire tape multiple times (i.e., record a home movies twice without having to play the original twice)
Old 10-14-02, 01:24 AM

I purchased the Phillips 985 can can't be more happy with the unit. Recordings made in HQ are as good as I have seen possible with MPEG2 encoding. My DV---Mpeg2 disks are wonderful. My Svhs---Mpeg2 HQ material is terrific.
Old 10-14-02, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use both the Philips and the Panasonic units at work....the Philips is 100% the better choice.
Old 10-14-02, 02:39 PM
Banned

Panasonic units have a the PQ/IRE bug that makes everything look washed out.

Just FYI. I had the Hard drive version and am waiting for the Toshiba.
Old 10-14-02, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still do not understand the different formats and their respective incompatabilities.
Old 10-15-02, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD-R is burn once and is compatible with most newer DVD players.

DVD-RAM is rewritable but is NOT compatitibe with DVD players, except for a very very few.

DVD+R is burn once and is compatible with most newer DVD players.

DVD+RW is rewritable and IS compatitible with most newer DVD players.

DVD-RW is rewritable and is compatible with some DVD players, but only if recorded in a specific mode.

Blanks discs (except maybe RAM) are all available for around $3.00 each these days from Best Buy and Comp USA.

Don't buy into all the "format wars" talk. Bottom line, except for RAM, you should be able to play any home recorded disc in a newer DVD player.

My favorite platform is DVD+R/DVD+RW. It is overall the best and easiest to use. Being able to use the erasable discs in regular players is a big plus. Also the Philips units play back the other type of discs (DVD-R and DVD-RW) which is a nice touch.
Old 10-15-02, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Steve Phillips
DVD-R is burn once and is compatible with most newer DVD players.

DVD-RAM is rewritable but is NOT compatitibe with DVD players, except for a very very few.

DVD+R is burn once and is compatible with most newer DVD players.

DVD+RW is rewritable and IS compatitible with most newer DVD players.

DVD-RW is rewritable and is compatible with some DVD players, but only if recorded in a specific mode.

Blanks discs (except maybe RAM) are all available for around $3.00 each these days from Best Buy and Comp USA.

Don't buy into all the "format wars" talk. Bottom line, except for RAM, you should be able to play any home recorded disc in a newer DVD player.

My favorite platform is DVD+R/DVD+RW. It is overall the best and easiest to use. Being able to use the erasable discs in regular players is a big plus. Also the Philips units play back the other type of discs (DVD-R and DVD-RW) which is a nice touch.
Thanks for the clarification but until this is resolved count me out.

http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/ar...ntervideo.html

The same applies for DVD-Audio/SACD.
Old 10-15-02, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
Thanks for the clarification but until this is resolved count me out.

http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/ar...ntervideo.html

The same applies for DVD-Audio/SACD.
yeap

me too!
Old 10-16-02, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pioneer DVR-7000 or their professional PVR-9000...other recorders need not apply.
Old 10-17-02, 06:03 PM

Alternate DVD Recorder Selected: How Much?

If anyone selects "another DVD Recorder" as a choice, could they please state the price and if possible, elaborate on some of the features. Thanks.
Old 10-17-02, 08:15 PM

I bought the philips unit several months ago but it had a serious problem with the progressive scan output (the picture was way off center vertically and washed out). After digging around online I found that this was a common bug with these units, so I returned it. Has philips fixed this yet?
Old 10-19-02, 12:54 AM

Yes...Phillips provided a firmware fix for the Progressive scan fix a few months ago. No problem with washed out recordings. Tremendous value in my opnion.
Old 10-20-02, 07:25 AM
Banned

Next year, Sony will be releasing dual recorders that do +rw and-rw for the home recording market here in Japan.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/...20020924a1.htm