DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Jensen speakers/receiver

Old 10-09-02, 09:01 PM

Jensen speakers/receiver

I just purchased the set of Jensen speakers that Circuit City has on sale for $99.99 this week. They looked good for the price. Anyway, I need help on a receiver. I was going to buy one of the low-level receivers for $199 but the guy said that the amp wasn't good enough and that I would need to buy one for $299 or higher. Can anyone give me some advice? I really don't know which one to buy and I can only spend about $300. It is for a dorm room to hook to my Playstation2 for DVD's. Are there any places online that have good prices? Any advice would be helpful.
Old 10-10-02, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In that price range the easy choice for me is the Onkyo SR-500. I own the 2000 version of this receiver and it has great sound and a good amount of clean power. I recommend it highly over the $200 receivers I see in most stores.

As for online/mail order shopping try calling J&R. Or try onecall.com They have the SR-500 for $269 including shipping.
Old 10-10-02, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the future when you buy speakers don't buy them for HOW GOOD THEY LOOK but far more for HOW GOOD THEY SOUND!
Old 10-10-02, 08:21 AM

Yeah, just stick with Onkyo or Yamaha for receivers in that range and you can't go wrong.