DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Opinions on Best Buy PSP with home theater system

Old 10-08-02, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Opinions on Best Buy PSP with home theater system

Hey everyone. I'd just like some honest opinions from you knowledgable folks in the HT Forum.

I just purchased a HTIB (sorry...not much cash for the system!). I did some research though. I ended up with the Yamaha YHT-300. (For what it's worth, I've purchased a Sony progressive scan 5-disc changer--the 655 model--to use with it. So, it's not completely an HTIB.) Anyway, it only cost $400 for the Yamaha system and comes with a $50 gift card too. Well, I went ahead and paid an extra $60 for the Best Buy PSP for 4 years. Now, I normally don't do these extended warranties, cause I think they're just a way for BB to take my money. However, I figured that, since speakers can blow easily, this would be a worthwhile thing for $15 a year. I really don't think I'd want to ship any part of the system to Yamaha either.

I can take it back if I want (just the PSP). But I'd like to know if you all think it's worthwhile for this set to have the PSP. I'd appreciate any opinions you all have. I know you all have way more experience than I do. This is my first foray into true home theater.

Thanks so much!
Old 10-08-02, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What exactly does the PSP cover? Currently bestbuy is being sued because it didn't present the terms of its PSP clearly enough to the buyers. Since you already bought the PSP, I suggest taking the 30 days and reading through the PSP pamphlet and asking questions about what exactly it covers. If it doesn't cover speakers blown due to misuse or wrong power or something, then that is something you need to know about. However, it seems that $60 for 4 years is pretty good (it covers the entire HTIB right?). How many years is the manufacturer warranty? Remember, the PSP starts from the day you bought the items, NOT from when the manufacturer's warranty expires.
Old 10-09-02, 07:54 AM

Thanks huzefa...

The guy told me it would cover everything but me putting my fist through it basically. He said specifically even that blowing a speaker would constitute, yes, getting a brand new one from them. It all seems a bit fairy-tale to me. It seems like either it's well worth the $60 or it's a lying 20 year old salesman telling me to get it because he'll get than 15 cent raise he's due for a few weeks early.

I believe my manufacturer warranty is 1 year. Also, the guy did have a point in that I don't want to ship the stuff to Yamaha. Also, the PSP does cover everything--the receiver, the speakers, whatever. Or so I was told.
Old 10-09-02, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He said specifically even that blowing a speaker would constitute, yes, getting a brand new one from them
In over 20 years of high end audio I have never blown a speaker. I have tried really hard to and not succeeded.

If this system is "matched" it should be nearly impossible.

I this case the dollar cost for the period is not bad however if nothing happens in the first thirty days it probably never will.

I currently own a pair of speakers (22+ years) an amp (22+ years) and a tv (24+ years).
Old 10-09-02, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
In over 20 years of high end audio I have never blown a speaker. I have tried really hard to and not succeeded.

If this system is "matched" it should be nearly impossible.

I this case the dollar cost for the period is not bad however if nothing happens in the first thirty days it probably never will.

I currently own a pair of speakers (22+ years) an amp (22+ years) and a tv (24+ years).
Really???

So, let me ask you this: Is this system I chose a good one in terms of reliability? I had BB gift cards so I was buying it there anyway. Then I decided on the almost-an-entire-home-theater-in-a-box route by getting the DVD player separately. But I still don't know how good the Yamaha system is. Apparently, it's good by BB standards. But I just don't know how "high end" it is or what "matched" means.

Thanks for your input Brian!
Old 10-09-02, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jiggyblau
Really???

So, let me ask you this: Is this system I chose a good one in terms of reliability? I had BB gift cards so I was buying it there anyway. Then I decided on the almost-an-entire-home-theater-in-a-box route by getting the DVD player separately. But I still don't know how good the Yamaha system is. Apparently, it's good by BB standards. But I just don't know how "high end" it is or what "matched" means.

Thanks for your input Brian!
Yamaha is good quality equipment although the stuff that BB sells is not their best. I am not really familiar with all the pieces in this set. As far as matched, I mean that the speakers are rated to handle the power output of the amplifier.

Generally speaking "high-end" items are sold through audio/video retailers not big box warehouse stores.
Old 10-09-02, 08:22 AM

I've worked for best buy and in many cases I have purchased psp's and would do on items such as computers, computer monitors or car audio speakers and amps etc...

You use the above sort of things every single day for extended amount of hours. you can blow a car audio speaker alot easier then home audio.

If I were in your shows I wouldn't buy it on this system. If anything is wrong with it you'll know soon, if not it will last you a long time. what I said was based on many years of my own and friends experiences and I do have a MA in Nuclear Physics, Bio Engineering and did my PHD on Astro Molecular Synthesis.
Old 10-09-02, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by ashegam
I've worked for best buy and in many cases I have purchased psp's and would do on items such as computers, computer monitors or car audio speakers and amps etc...

You use the above sort of things every single day for extended amount of hours. you can blow a car audio speaker alot easier then home audio.

If I were in your shows I wouldn't buy it on this system. If anything is wrong with it you'll know soon, if not it will last you a long time. what I said was based on many years of my own and friends experiences and I do have a MA in Nuclear Physics, Bio Engineering and did my PHD on Astro Molecular Synthesis.
Wow, nice background

So, I think I see what you're saying. Basically, my issue is that I've found it easy... no simple... to blow out car speakers. Perhaps that's made me a bit more leery about speakers in general. But the biggest thing I have a problem with is this--alright, I've dropped $400 for a decent Yamaha receiver and decent Yamaha magnetically shielded speakers. Granted, neither is truly a force to be reckoned with, but for a first system, I'm ecstatic. Anyway, I'm spending $60 on this PSP. But, in reality, even if these speakers failed after the warranty period, say, after two years, I could get another set of better speakers and not pay much more (especially with that $60 back).

So that's the biggest gripe. After your post, I'm definitely closer to getting rid of my PSP. I'd still love more feedback from others too!

Thanks!
Old 10-09-02, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does homeowners (or renters) insurance cover this type of damage?
Old 10-09-02, 10:56 PM

Home owners doesn't cover speaker blow outs or any sort of normal use break downs. They do however cover theft, and damage from natural disasters such as power surges, earthquakes etc...
Old 10-10-02, 08:04 AM

So, any final thoughts on this issue? I'm planning on returning the PSP at this point. For what's basically a $200-300 set of speakers, I doubt it's worth $60 to extend the warranty 2 years. And I'm not expecting receiver problems. (Knock on forum wood.)

I checked and I do have a 2 year parts/1 year labor warranty already, with a certified Yamaha center within 20 minutes from my home.

Incidentally, I find it hilarious that my HTIB, as it's called, included no rca cable to connect the TV to the receiver as well as no rca cable to connect the subwoofer to the receiever. Yet it's supposed to be this ridiculously simple thing that's just plugged in to your TV and DVD player and off you go...

I hope it sounds better than it was packaged. Today I must find speaker stands...

By the way, thanks again for all your help!
Old 10-10-02, 11:01 AM

What you can do is get a pro-rated refund on it. I say keep it for a year or so and after that time you can go back and they give you a certain percentage of the PSP purchase back to you.
Old 10-10-02, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by Civic2oo1
What you can do is get a pro-rated refund on it. I say keep it for a year or so and after that time you can go back and they give you a certain percentage of the PSP purchase back to you.
They can do that? I can go back next October and get $45 back? I was never aware of this...

Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-10-02, 11:28 AM

They do offer pro-rated refunds. There are a number of things that go into how much they give back, but yes, they are such a thing.
Old 10-10-02, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do not know if it applies to the speakers in a HTIB, but the standard PSP on speakers goes into effect, AFTER the MFG warranty is done. So you could be looking at 4 years after the mfg's warranty.
Also if nothing goes wrong after the first 30 days, nothing will thinking is completely illogical and incorrect. I work at BB part time for the discount (I am not a company man so bash them all you want) and I see people pissed off everyday because they now own a unit that is out of the mfg warranty and did not buy a PSP. Stuff breaks all the time, and usually, it seems right after the mfg warranty goes out.
Also remember that the items being produced today are pretty much meant to be disposable. Companies do not put the same amount of craftsmanship and quality as they did 20-50 years ago, unless it is some awesome equipment, carrying an awesome price tag.
Old 10-10-02, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Cusm
I do not know if it applies to the speakers in a HTIB, but the standard PSP on speakers goes into effect, AFTER the MFG warranty is done. So you could be looking at 4 years after the mfg's warranty.
Also if nothing goes wrong after the first 30 days, nothing will thinking is completely illogical and incorrect. I work at BB part time for the discount (I am not a company man so bash them all you want) and I see people pissed off everyday because they now own a unit that is out of the mfg warranty and did not buy a PSP. Stuff breaks all the time, and usually, it seems right after the mfg warranty goes out.
Also remember that the items being produced today are pretty much meant to be disposable. Companies do not put the same amount of craftsmanship and quality as they did 20-50 years ago, unless it is some awesome equipment, carrying an awesome price tag.
From my PSP: "All Plan coverage commences on the original purchase date." ... "Coverage under this plan expires 4 years from the original product purchase date."

So this should mean that I only receive 2 additional years of parts/3 additional years of labor.

Anyway, I'm liking the idea of keeping this at least for 29 days. If I take it back within 30 days I get a full refund. Period. So it's silly to take it back before then. Also, the PSP clearly mentions the pro-rata refund should it be returned after 30 days (minus any service costs). So I'll be patient here and hold on to the PSP. Even if I do keep it, it can't be that awful to put a few dollars into it. What's $60 in the long run? (Except, of course, for the fact that I'm giving it to BB.)

Cusm, thanks for your comments. Actually, the guy who sold me my HTIB mentioned something similar to what you said--basically, that audio equipment (on the BB level anyway) gets worse every year in a lot of respects because it's all more cheaply made. I guess I can buy that. Obviously, we're not getting those 100 pount tanks that grace my father's home stereo system (circa 1970).