Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

NTSC Television with multizone dvd...

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 10-08-02, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, here's my situation:
I have a Sony Trinitron Wega television which I bought in Canada, hence its ntsc. Then I have a multizone dvd player which I bought in France. When I connect the dvd to the dvd it can read zone 1 dvds perfectly, when I put in a zone 2 dvd the image goes wild. There is a switch behind the dvd that says "Auto", "Pal", "Ntsc". I set it to ntsc because I assume it's the signal that the dvd sends to the tv. This is how I get the zone 1 dvds to play, but even in this mode, I cant read zone 2 dvds. I've asked around about this problem and I never get a clear answer. Some people told me I could buy a transcoder, something I would plug into the tv which would allow me to read my zone 2 dvds, but costs something like 400$ and will reduce the quality of the image. I can buy a dvd player which is dezoned and has a built in transcoder. What I wanna know is if I buy a multizone dvd from let's say Sony, will it allow me to read my zone 2 dvds? Second question is, is it possible to insert a transcoder either inside my tv or dvd player so I wouldn't get any quality loss? Thanks.
Old 10-08-02, 03:50 PM

PAL vs. NTSC

I am betting there is more information on this board already about this same kind of issue. The difference lies in the basic differences between NTSC and PAL. PAL is 25 fps and 625 lines. NTSC is 29.97 fps (30 for all intents and purposes) and 525 lines. So I am guessing that your player is trying to OUTPUT to one of those different standards and that is what the switch on the back is for. If you set it to NTSC it outputs in NTSC. If you set it to PAL, it outputs in PAL. If you set it to AUTO then I am guessing it outputs to whatever standard is on the DVD.

The problem is that your TV only recognizes the NTSC standard, so when you switch it to PAL, then it goes all "wild." You will probably need to set the player to AUTO and buy a transcoder which will "fix" the output so that it works with the input your TV is expecting, namely NTSC. Without doing that, the number of lines and the number of frames per second are all wrong and the TV isn't going to work right, in fact you might damage it.

No matter what you do, you will need something that does this conversion for you. You can buy a DVD player that does it, a TV that does it, or a box that sits between them and does it, but it needs to happen somewhere. You need to ask yourself which one of those is the cheapest and/or best solution to your problem.
Old 10-08-02, 06:11 PM

new dvd player?

So if I buy a new ntsc multizone dvd players, will I be able to read zone 2 dvds?
Old 10-08-02, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: new dvd player?

Originally posted by chimaera15
So if I buy a new ntsc multizone dvd players, will I be able to read zone 2 dvds?
Yes, that's why they're called "multizone." But you need a player that converts PAL to NTSC, too.
Old 10-08-02, 06:31 PM

Recommendation?

Can you recommend one in particular?
Old 10-08-02, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The general consensus seems to be the Malata. If you run a search here or at www.hometheaterforum.com you'll find plenty of information about the player.
Old 10-08-02, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Malata 520, it's the best multi-zone PAL/NTSC dvd player out there IMO. There are 2 others by JVC that are comparable but the Malata beats them both since it can do x-y scaling. Read up on the player by doing a search for 'malata' in this forum.
Old 10-14-02, 01:26 PM
Banned

I'm still not 100% sure that you have your DVD player setup correctly. Have you tried changing the switch on the back of your DVD player to correspond to the DVD signal format?

For my Raite 715, I tell it that I have a NTSC TV in the setup, and it automatically does perfect conversion of PAL DVD's and VCD's into NTSC. And this DVD player only cost me $140 new so don't buy an expensive standalone converter.