Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

From these symptoms, will this DVD record to a DVD recorder?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-02, 09:45 AM
Chuck Antinoro

I load the DVD in question in my standard SONY DVP-S530D player. I connect, via s-video to my Hi 8 camcorder. I’m able to record to Hi 8 with no problems. Same goes for my VCR. As a test I tried most of my other DVDs and usually get a “Copy Protection: Unable to Record” message on my camcorder or a jumpy/discolored screen on my VCR. If I buy a DVD recorder, will I be able to record excerpts of the non-copy protected (???) DVD? Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Old 10-08-02, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD to VHS or DVD to DVD?

The jumpiness you see is the copy protection, and that is probably some form of Macrovision. You can check out various FAQ's on it or go to www.macrovision.com for more info on it if you are so inclined, but it shouldn't effect your DVD copying using a DVD Recorder or DVD-R drive.

Using a DVD Recorder / DVD-R drive you should be able to "archive" any DVD, even the macrovision protected ones, BUT you will only be able to copy it TO a blank DVD of EQUAL or GREATER size. If that is what you are asking about, then yes, you should be able to record that unprotected DVD and any others onto another DVD so long as the DVD-Recorder you get (or DVD-R drive) supports dual layer disc recording. Otherwise you can only record a single layer's worth of the media and most feature length movies will be too long.

Going from DVD to VHS with a protected disc is not possible without the distortion even with a DVD Recorder (as far as I know). To get past that, you will probably need to decode the DVD on a PC and get the unprotected MPEG video, then output that. Other then that, I don't know of any way to get around that problem.

I don't know if it is the way I read your question, or the wording you used but I am not sure if you wanted to go DVD -> DVD or DVD -> VHS. I hope this helped some. If I were you I would try clarifying the question some more so people can give you more specific answers. Are you thinking DVD -> VHS or DVD -> DVD? Are you thinking about getting a DVD Recorder, or a DVD-R drive for your PC?
Old 10-08-02, 04:37 PM
Chuck Antinoro

Sorry if I confused. I'm looking to go DVD to set top DVD recorder (which I don't even own yet). I just gave those examples to illustrate what the DVD does and to see if people think its copy protected.

Thanks.