DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Which of these Panasonic DVD players should I get?

Old 10-07-02, 10:48 PM

Which of these Panasonic DVD players should I get?

I'm buying a modded Panasonic player to play region 3 movies. I was looking into the Malata, but decided to pass on it as it was similar in price and I feel better buying a brand I know and trust. So here are the choices.

The RP-62 vs. the RP-82. Price difference between the two is $30.

I have a 55" HDTV, no DVD-A titles don't plan on getting in multi-channel music. That's the biggest difference I saw when I went on Panasonic's site, the RP-82 does DVD-A. Is there any other reason I should get the RP-82? Or should I just save the $30 and buy the 62?
Old 10-07-02, 11:10 PM

Just do the compare thing, there are a few things, but all are minor. Though getting the 4:4:4 may be worth $30 more. Actually, thinking about it now, if the difference is just $30... I would get the 82.
Old 10-08-02, 06:38 AM

The main reasons you should get the RP82 is that it uses the MPEG decoder from the RP91 (superior to the one in the RP62), the CCS is set to "off" so you won't have the annoying flicker bug, and the 82 offers both coaxial and optical digital out (only optical on the 62).

The only reason I see to get the 62 over the 82 would be for the 62's availability in black. Now, if someone could explain to me what the Marketing geniuses at Panasonic were thinking when they came up with this silver/mirror look and then decided to not release it in black...
Old 10-08-02, 08:27 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by TonyS
The main reasons you should get the RP82 is that it uses the MPEG decoder from the RP91 (superior to the one in the RP62), the CCS is set to "off" so you won't have the annoying flicker bug, and the 82 offers both coaxial and optical digital out (only optical on the 62).

The only reason I see to get the 62 over the 82 would be for the 62's availability in black. Now, if someone could explain to me what the Marketing geniuses at Panasonic were thinking when they came up with this silver/mirror look and then decided to not release it in black...
Exactly what Tony just said.

62 for its availability in black, 82 for digital coaxial out (a personal preference over the more fragile optical cable).

Tony, thanks for saving me a couple of minutes.
Old 10-09-02, 08:46 AM

RP82 is better, but...

The RP-82 is the better player (as people have already mentioned), but is harder to find in local shops. The RP-62 can be found at BB, CC, Sears, etc. and a ton of other places. The RP-82 (as far as I know) is only availble online or through some of the specialty Home Theatre stores and they don't always have the greatest prices. If this is a concern to you, then you may want to consider the RP-62 especially since there have been quite a lot of cases of tray defects with both of these models. Most of these are resolved now and the later batches should all be fine, but you wouldn't want to end up with a faulty one from an early production run and have to ship it back if you order it online. Like I said, most of these have been fixed, and I got the 82 myself, but no one mentioned it, and I figure it is something you should know.

Another couple of differences which no one has pointed out yet is the RP-82 claims to read DVD-RAM and the 62 does not and the RP-82 comes with DTS and DD decoders built in. I don't know if this matters to you at all, but they are additional selling points on the RP-82. I went to panasonic's site for you and pulled up a comparison between the two. Here's the link http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sho...Ds=1582115660 if you are interested in checking it out yourself.
Old 10-09-02, 10:02 AM

Re: RP82 is better, but...

Originally posted by SoRetarded
The RP-82 is the better player (as people have already mentioned), but is harder to find in local shops. The RP-62 can be found at BB, CC, Sears, etc. and a ton of other places. The RP-82 (as far as I know) is only availble online or through some of the specialty Home Theatre stores and they don't always have the greatest prices. If this is a concern to you, then you may want to consider the RP-62 especially since there have been quite a lot of cases of tray defects with both of these models. Most of these are resolved now and the later batches should all be fine, but you wouldn't want to end up with a faulty one from an early production run and have to ship it back if you order it online. Like I said, most of these have been fixed, and I got the 82 myself, but no one mentioned it, and I figure it is something you should know.

Another couple of differences which no one has pointed out yet is the RP-82 claims to read DVD-RAM and the 62 does not and the RP-82 comes with DTS and DD decoders built in. I don't know if this matters to you at all, but they are additional selling points on the RP-82. I went to panasonic's site for you and pulled up a comparison between the two. Here's the link http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sho...Ds=1582115660 if you are interested in checking it out yourself.
He is buying a modded one, so he doesn't have to worry about locating it locally or what not. Amazon is suppose to have them for $208 anyways, there is a thead of AVSForum about it. Also the only reason the RP82 has a DD/dts decoder is due to DVD-A, it is the only way to pass it right now.
Old 10-09-02, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get the 82. It's a much better player than 62. I had a 62 and swapped it out for 82. The picture quality on the 82 is better. It has the better mpeg decoder from the RP-91 and it really makes a difference. The 82 also has more and better features than the 62.

More differences listed and a review posted here:

http://forums.animeondvd.com/dcboard...m=73&viewmode=

Check the AoD hardware forum for lots of info on the RP-82 and the best places to get mods for it.

http://forums.animeondvd.com/dcboard...umID4&archive=
Old 10-11-02, 04:49 PM

Thanks guys. I ordered the Panny RP-82 from jvbdigital.com. Total came out to $349+$13.90 for 2-Day shipping. I plan on using this for the next couple of years, so I decided what the hell, an extra $60 over the RP-62 is worth it.
Old 10-12-02, 09:09 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

If the Rp-82 is around $200 is it worth it for me to spend an extra $200 to buy the rp-91, I know the RP-91 does scaling, but does the rp-82 also do scaling.