Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony better than Cerwin-Vega?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-02, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, last week Best Buy had some Cerwin-Vega floorstanding speakers(2-way, can't remember model number) on sale for 99per speaker, and mentions a savings of 100bucks on the pair.

I thought this sounded like a really good deal, so I got them. This week they have a pair of Sony speakers (Sony 6-1/2" 3-Way Extended-Response Floor Speakers (pair) — SSM-F400H) for 50per speaker.

My question is, are the ones I got worth twice as much, or should i return them and get these Sony speakers instead?

Thanks,
J
Old 10-07-02, 10:39 AM

Both are bad speakers, Sony doesn't even make their own speakers and use super cheap crap. Cerwin Vegas are your frat, house party loud speakers. I would personally look at some entry level Paradigm, PSB or Energys.... BUT, if you don't want to do that, I guess the only thing you can do is listen to them and compare them to see what you think is best.
Old 10-07-02, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why do you say 'cerwin vegas are your frat, house party loud speakers'?

I listened to the CV's and Sony's, and it seemed like the CV's sounded better...but I don't know how much better. Are the CV's just gonna drown out all my other speakers or something?
Old 10-07-02, 10:55 AM

CV has always been known as your true loud speakers, meant for parties or what not. I would not hold them in to high of regard for critical listening of music and defiantly not for HT use.
Old 10-07-02, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So what would be your choice if you HAD to pick the Sony or the Cerwin-Vega?
Old 10-07-02, 12:22 PM

Couldn't tell ya, I make it a point to try not to listen to either of them.

Let your ears be the judge, but I still say go with brands like Paradigm, PSB or Energy.
Old 10-08-02, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by zargon
Couldn't tell ya, I make it a point to try not to listen to either of them.

And yet you seem to have an opinion on both of them. Funny how that works.

I've heard both, I'd go with Sony. The CV's are poor, a step up from KLH but not a big step.
Old 10-08-02, 08:07 AM

I have listened to them, nothing critically as of lately. They are way below anything I would even touch now. But it is common knowledge that Sony speakers just flat out suck and CV are true loud speakers meant to play loud and be heavy in the bass. Neither are really great speakers at all for critial music listening or HT... after all Best Buy carries them. JBL would be a better option for speakers that Best Buy carries.
Old 10-09-02, 10:49 AM

I did not know my Sony's "suck". Thanks for the insight.
my advice is to let your ears be the judge. That is the only way you will know what speakers are best for your needs.
Old 10-09-02, 05:23 PM

I live less than .5 miles away from a BB and I'm there at least 3 times a week. I know the speakers that you're talking about and I would go with the CV's.

Soundwise, the CV's have better neutrality than the Sony's and they could be turned up louder with less distorition as compared to the Sony's.

I understand that these may be your entry level speakers so you may not want to pluck down $1000 for a pair just yet. I don't think others understand that.
Old 10-10-02, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another thing I'm concerned about is the center speaker. If I get the CV's, I'll be worried that I won't get something that matches it.

I also live in an apartment, so I won't really be cranking anything up too loud.

Since the Sony's are 50bucks cheaper, I'm really thinking of going with them. I've also heard that Best Buy may stop carrying the CV's soon, and that they are possibly going out of business...so that also worries me.
Old 10-10-02, 08:15 AM

When I brought up Paradigm, PSB or Energy... I never intended $1000 for a pair, you can get a nice pair from all those brands for a lot less than that. For example Paradigm's mini-monitors or monitor 3s range from about $150-$300.
Old 10-10-02, 04:42 PM

I live in an apartment too. My Sony's have been decent for both music and movies. Never had a complaint from the neighbors under me and next to me. The speakers are a bit boomy out of the box. I adjusted this by adding the stuffing inside my pillow. Best of luck on your journey..
Old 10-10-02, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by zargon
When I brought up Paradigm, PSB or Energy... I never intended $1000 for a pair, you can get a nice pair from all those brands for a lot less than that. For example Paradigm's mini-monitors or monitor 3s range from about $150-$300.
Here's a pair of PSB Alpha Intros for $139 shipped .
Old 10-11-02, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Richard70
I live in an apartment too. My Sony's have been decent for both music and movies. Never had a complaint from the neighbors under me and next to me. The speakers are a bit boomy out of the box. I adjusted this by adding the stuffing inside my pillow. Best of luck on your journey..

Um..where did you add stuffing?
Old 10-11-02, 10:27 AM

inside the cabinet
Old 10-13-02, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

The new Sony's actually have a very good tweeter which measure well up to ~50kHz for DVD-A. There is very few speakers that can make this claim at even a $1000. So I would not be too quick to discount based on just ones view of the brand in general.

Zargon, I have seen products from two of the brands you mentioned being made in china. Not to say this has negative impact on the quality of the product though. I would argue that- if you are not building there then you are putting less material content and more burden for labor at a given price point. I have built speakers a factories all over the world and can tell you with the right factory in China the quality can beat even the US. These people work there ass off. You dont have to worry if its Friday afternoon and the workers minds are set on the weekend. It is amazing how hard these people work!
Old 10-14-02, 01:21 PM
Banned

Buy your speakers from a company that only makes speakers. Generally they will make a much better product than a conglomerate like Sony, etc. And there are tons of companies that only makes speakers, try shopping someplace other than Best Buy and Circuit City (who, for the most part only carry junk audio).
Old 10-14-02, 06:55 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by icondude
Buy your speakers from a company that only makes speakers. Generally they will make a much better product than a conglomerate like Sony, etc. And there are tons of companies that only makes speakers, try shopping someplace other than Best Buy and Circuit City (who, for the most part only carry junk audio).

I would agree that CC and BB carry lower end stuff but junk might be a bit of a generalization. They both carry a super cheap bottom of the line series which I would not recommend but there are also jewels to be found from almost any manufacture. Plus its fun and educational to look for.

Also some of these companies that make more then just speakers manufacture drivers or complete product for many of the just speaker companies.
Old 10-15-02, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by bfrank
The new Sony's actually have a very good tweeter which measure well up to ~50kHz for DVD-A. There is very few speakers that can make this claim at even a $1000. So I would not be too quick to discount based on just ones view of the brand in general.

Zargon, I have seen products from two of the brands you mentioned being made in china. Not to say this has negative impact on the quality of the product though. I would argue that- if you are not building there then you are putting less material content and more burden for labor at a given price point. I have built speakers a factories all over the world and can tell you with the right factory in China the quality can beat even the US. These people work there ass off. You dont have to worry if its Friday afternoon and the workers minds are set on the weekend. It is amazing how hard these people work!
I don't doubt they work hard, but I sure as hell wouldn't work on their salary. My whole point companies like Paradigm, PSB, B&W, Monitor Audio, etc... real speaker companies do everything in house (well most of it). So more time and care is taken. The engineers and designers are there, on-site and can watch the build processes and address any problems that may arise.