DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

I have about ~500 to spend on speakers

Old 10-06-02, 04:06 PM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

I have about ~500 to spend on speakers

i have about 500 bucks to spend on speakers, im going to get a yamaha 5490 as the receiver. I'm thinking about getting the yamaha sw-105Yamaha SW-105 as the sub (about 150), and getting 2 Yamaha 6390 speakers as my left and right. That will leave me around 250 for my center and both of my rears, any recommendations? thanks!
Old 10-06-02, 04:45 PM

I would look at brands like PSB, Energy, Paradigm, B&W, Mirage, Monitor Audio and Mission over Yamaha.

Also, what I would do is get the front 3, and build up from there. Otherwise both Paradigm and Energy have some nice packages with all 5 speakers and a sub for around $500, a little more than $500 though unless you find a super deal.
Old 10-06-02, 04:50 PM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

Any places where I could buy those speakers? also, there really isnt anyway that i could test them locally, since really no places around here have brands like that
Old 10-06-02, 04:57 PM

I wouldn't buy on-line at all.

I don't have all the web pages, I know Paradigm's off hand, just look up the web pages and check for local dealers. You may be surprised... I am willing to bet there is some sort of mom and pop shop near you.
Old 10-06-02, 07:51 PM
Premium Member

Go get consumer reports this month is about audio.

A speaker I worked on won (sorry had to boast )

You will be amazed at the entry price were you can find jewels that no one would expect. I would take time to listen to the speakers. The problem is the main competition at Bestbuy will be Bose and JBL. Still take the same track and listen there and then go and listen at a few other places.

IN the end pride of ownership is part of the game so a brand that is well reguarded could also be a factor.