DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Apex 1500 DVD Player--Dumb Question

Old 10-04-02, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apex 1500 DVD Player--Dumb Question

Wow, my first time in this forum, and the first post I've ever had that's actually DVD related after thousands.

I just bought the Apex because it was so darn cheap. However, when it arrived today, I discovered that the cheapass TV we have only has one input, the coax cable input. The DVD player has a "plug" that says coaxial, but the instructions don't show that being used at all. Do I just hook that to the coax input on the TV (would have to buy a cable) or do I have to do something different, some kind of adapter, or did I just buy a DVD player that I can't use on this TV.

Please help, I know nothing. Thanks!
Old 10-04-02, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I believe the DVD player plug you are reffering to is the digital coax audio ouptut...not the same as the rg-6 "cable" tv cables.
Old 10-05-02, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Coax in the DVD player is for Audio to go into a receiver...I think you have to go buy a RF adapter and hook it up to the tv that way...the converters used to cost about 30 readily availible at WalMart.
Old 10-05-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dan,

You're looking for this, which you can find here.

Good luck.

(Your dvd player just became $20 more expensive. Maybe check ebay or local classifieds, too.)

[Personal message for Dan #1]Uncivil Union is one game away from nationals. I should be at the game Sunday, taking photos.[/Personal message for Dan #1]

[Personal message for Dan #2]Lots of changes for me at work. Seems like I'm about to change jobs/descriptions/departments.[/Personal message for Dan #2]

Last edited by stevevt; 10-05-02 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-05-02, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by stevevt
Dan,

You're looking for this, which you can find here.

Good luck.

(Your dvd player just became $20 more expensive. Maybe check ebay or local classifieds, too.)

[Personal message for Dan #1]Uncivil Union is one game away from nationals. I should be at the game Sunday, taking photos.[/Personal message for Dan #1]

[Personal message for Dan #2]Lots of changes for me at work. Seems like I'm about to change jobs/descriptions/departments.[/Personal message for Dan #2]
Thanks for the info steve! Damn, I don't think I'd have bought the damn thing if I knew about that. Oh well, live and learn.

So, re: personal message #1, they finally get the coed team together after I move away? I guess the women just didn't like me. What women bailed on Harmony?

And let me know what's going with work. I guess we should take it to email from here-on.
Old 10-15-02, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info steve! I bought one on fleabay for $16 shipped, and we now have dvd capability! hot_damn, can you believe it!
Old 10-22-02, 02:30 AM

I think this might also work, but maybe not, .....

DVD AV outputs go to VCR AV input, and ch 3 or whatever VCR coax output goes to TV. By AV I mean audio and video on rca type connections.

OTOH, that must be one OLD TV, my circa 1970s RCA XL100 has video inputs. Using a modulator typically really messes up the quality.
Old 10-22-02, 03:09 PM

DVD AV outputs go to VCR AV input, and ch 3 or whatever VCR coax output goes to TV. By AV I mean audio and video on rca type connections.
That probably won't work, due to macrovision copy protection in DVD and VCR.

Only way that would work is to have a hacked DVD player that diasbles MV, or a VCR so old ic can't detect MV signals.

Ozy
Old 10-22-02, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the best route is the RF modulator. I have one for my pathetic rig, and I would suggest getting one with a manual switch for the input. I had an autoswitcher, but it would "autoswitch" in the middle of movies sometimes.