DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Apex 1500 DVD Player--Dumb Question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/241427-apex-1500-dvd-player-dumb-question.html)

LurkerDan 10-04-02 09:29 PM

Apex 1500 DVD Player--Dumb Question

Wow, my first time in this forum, and the first post I've ever had that's actually DVD related after thousands. :D

I just bought the Apex because it was so darn cheap. However, when it arrived today, I discovered that the cheapass TV we have only has one input, the coax cable input. The DVD player has a "plug" that says coaxial, but the instructions don't show that being used at all. Do I just hook that to the coax input on the TV (would have to buy a cable) or do I have to do something different, some kind of adapter, or did I just buy a DVD player that I can't use on this TV. :(

Please help, I know nothing. Thanks!

discostu1337 10-04-02 09:57 PM

I believe the DVD player plug you are reffering to is the digital coax audio ouptut...not the same as the rg-6 "cable" tv cables.

costanza187 10-05-02 08:50 AM

The Coax in the DVD player is for Audio to go into a receiver...I think you have to go buy a RF adapter and hook it up to the tv that way...the converters used to cost about 30 readily availible at WalMart.

stevevt 10-05-02 10:36 AM

Dan,

You're looking for this, which you can find here.

Good luck.

(Your dvd player just became $20 more expensive. Maybe check ebay or local classifieds, too.)

[Personal message for Dan #1]Uncivil Union is one game away from nationals. I should be at the game Sunday, taking photos.[/Personal message for Dan #1]

[Personal message for Dan #2]Lots of changes for me at work. Seems like I'm about to change jobs/descriptions/departments.[/Personal message for Dan #2]

LurkerDan 10-05-02 01:02 PM

Originally posted by stevevt
Dan,

You're looking for this, which you can find here.

Good luck.

(Your dvd player just became $20 more expensive. Maybe check ebay or local classifieds, too.)

[Personal message for Dan #1]Uncivil Union is one game away from nationals. I should be at the game Sunday, taking photos.[/Personal message for Dan #1]

[Personal message for Dan #2]Lots of changes for me at work. Seems like I'm about to change jobs/descriptions/departments.[/Personal message for Dan #2]

Thanks for the info steve! Damn, I don't think I'd have bought the damn thing if I knew about that. Oh well, live and learn.

So, re: personal message #1, they finally get the coed team together after I move away? I guess the women just didn't like me. :) What women bailed on Harmony?

And let me know what's going with work. I guess we should take it to email from here-on. :)

LurkerDan 10-15-02 11:05 AM

Thanks for the info steve! I bought one on fleabay for $16 shipped, and we now have dvd capability! hot_damn, can you believe it! ;)

mikeford 10-22-02 02:30 AM

I think this might also work, but maybe not, .....

DVD AV outputs go to VCR AV input, and ch 3 or whatever VCR coax output goes to TV. By AV I mean audio and video on rca type connections.

OTOH, that must be one OLD TV, my circa 1970s RCA XL100 has video inputs. Using a modulator typically really messes up the quality.

Ozymandius 10-22-02 03:09 PM

DVD AV outputs go to VCR AV input, and ch 3 or whatever VCR coax output goes to TV. By AV I mean audio and video on rca type connections.
That probably won't work, due to macrovision copy protection in DVD and VCR.

Only way that would work is to have a hacked DVD player that diasbles MV, or a VCR so old ic can't detect MV signals.

Ozy

milo bloom 10-22-02 06:51 PM

I think the best route is the RF modulator. I have one for my pathetic rig, and I would suggest getting one with a manual switch for the input. I had an autoswitcher, but it would "autoswitch" in the middle of movies sometimes.