DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Need suggestion for decent progessive scan player under $200 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/240839-need-suggestion-decent-progessive-scan-player-under-%24200.html)

wildcatlh 10-02-02 01:37 PM

Need suggestion for decent progessive scan player under $200

Okay, my parents just got a nice, widescreen, HDTV. Knowing them, they'll be prone to get a cheapo, non progressive scan DVD player and connect it with the composite cables, so I figured I'd pick them up as a present a progressive scan player and some nice component cables to hook it up with.

The latter is already in my possession. As for the DVD player, that I need tips on. I'm trying to stay under $200, since, well, I'm a college student, and don't have too much in the way of cash.

Thanks. (while you're at it, also need to figure out a fairly cheap player I wanna get for the bedroom in my house, but that's not pressing or anything)

DJ_Longfellow 10-02-02 01:59 PM

I'm looking for this too, and from the research i have done:

Panasonic RP-62 seems to be a favorite (~$140)
Panasonic RP-82 upgrade of the 62, i guess it is similiar to the RP91, not sure if it's exactly worth the extra $$$$. (~$210)

Sony 715 seems to be decent also.

Toshiba 3800 is another option, but not sure how great that is.

I was also trying to find out about the Pioneer 656A?! It can be had for around $170, and i know most Pioneer electronics are good, but i have not heard too much about the DVD player.

Panasonic seems to be the best bet though (considering i know nothing about the Pioneer player)

bullrat 10-02-02 02:05 PM

Hey WildcatLH,

I'm the happy new owner of my first widescreen HDTV. A big honking 57 inches. I love it. Anyway, I did my research for a great inexpensive DVD player to match to it and I chose the Panasonic RP82. You can buy it online for around $200 ($230 MSR).

It does NOT have the Chroma Bug and it DOES use the Faroudja chip the same as much more expensive players do. And this adds up to excellent picture quality. I was blown away when viewing a reference quality DVD such as Monsters, Inc. Totally amazing and I've very happy with the HDTV and Player combo I purchased.

Only downside is the remote on the Panny RP82 player could be improved but it's not a problem and hey -- for this price -- for this quality -- I'm totally happy with it.

-bullrat

Young Vito 10-02-02 07:42 PM

Originally posted by DJ_Longfellow

Sony 715 seems to be decent also.

i just recently got one of these for about 180 shipped (forgot where), i was about to get the earlier model (710) till i found the recently released 715 model, difference between the two is that the latter plays Mp3 Cds :thumbsup: and for someone whos whole music collection is in MP3 format this feature is a MUST, these are both progressive scan and come in the nice wega silver color

i definately recommend the Sony 715P

GMLSKIS 10-02-02 10:02 PM

Sony 715 - Great player

thematrix 10-02-02 10:16 PM

DJ,
My Panasonic RV-31 just died after only a year & a 1/2...I want to get another decent player but still not sure which one...

I've been looking at the Sony DVP-NS715P...The Toshiba SD-4800 & the JVC XV-S500BK...The Panasonic RP62...82 & 91 always get high ratings but I'm just scared to get another one...I've owned Panasonic VCR's for the past 10 years with no problems whatsoever...Go figure...

DJ_Longfellow 10-03-02 06:36 AM

Originally posted by thematrix
DJ,
My Panasonic RV-31 just died after only a year & a 1/2...I want to get another decent player but still not sure which one...

I've been looking at the Sony DVP-NS715P...The Toshiba SD-4800 & the JVC XV-S500BK...The Panasonic RP62...82 & 91 always get high ratings but I'm just scared to get another one...I've owned Panasonic VCR's for the past 10 years with no problems whatsoever...Go figure...

My guess is to go with the Panasonic; however, people have been leaning towards the Sony 715 recently too. I know i could get the RP62 or the 715 relatively cheap since i know someone that works at Best Buy, and those are the only models they carry that i am interested in. Not sure if the RP82 is worth my extra $60-$80.
Also, the Pioneer 656A is one in question for me. I know Pioneer TV's and receivers get praise usually, buti have yet to hear anything on this DVD. ANYONE???

I'm looking to make a decision much like all of you.

thematrix 10-03-02 08:32 AM

I really wanted a Zoom feature and I dont believe Sony or the Panasonic has one...

syphon00 10-03-02 08:52 AM

JVC XV-S500BK/502 SL
this player is amazing, plays anything u throw at it
even Mp3's and jpegs and it looks awesome in progressive scan
also it'll play region 0 PAL DVD's
got it at Vanns.com for $150

thematrix 10-03-02 09:05 AM

Syphon,
How long have you had the JVC ?? Any problems or glitches ??

tommyp007 10-03-02 06:19 PM

Another vote for the Sony DVPNS715p, here. Know people who own it and have zero problems. By the way.....please don't use a zoom feature....the bars are there for a good reason.

thematrix 10-05-02 03:45 PM

Hmm...Sony...JVC or Toshiba...

jim_cook87 10-05-02 08:40 PM

I'll second the JVC XV-S500BK, had it since early May. No problems, great player. You can find for $140-$180.

gcribbs 10-06-02 02:42 AM

Originally posted by tommyp007
Another vote for the Sony DVPNS715p, here. Know people who own it and have zero problems. By the way.....please don't use a zoom feature....the bars are there for a good reason.
you can use the zoom feature for more than that.

for example, a beautiful woman removes her clothes. you want to see if she is wearing an anklet so you use that zoom feature ;)

Panasonic Rp62.

although dvd players from Sony or Toshiba would also be nice choices.

wildcatlh 10-06-02 10:47 AM

Thanks for the ideas guys ... ended up ordering the Sony 715. Now to make sure they don't still try to use composite connectors. :)

thematrix 10-07-02 09:39 AM

Wildcat,
Keep us posted on the performance...

zargon 10-07-02 09:41 AM

Would have picked up the Panasonic, with the prog scan chip it uses, you just can't beat it for the price.

wildcatlh 10-07-02 12:23 PM

Originally posted by thematrix
Wildcat,
Keep us posted on the performance...

I'd like to, but I live around 1500+ miles from my parents, so I won't get to enjoy it. :( . But I'll get my brother to do that. He's the only one down there who knows what he's doing. :)